World Cup

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: World Cup

Post by duckgrad99 »

Wow, couldn't have scripted it any better for the United States.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckgrad99 wrote:Wow, couldn't have scripted it any better for the United States.
Seriously, and it's probably a good thing we advanced. Imagine how frustrating it would have been. I mean honestly, we were robbed of two perfectly good goals, that shouldn't have even been controversial. We should have beat Slovenia 3-2, and that goal for Dempsy today was clean as a whistle. I'm just glad we advanced, that's a huge sigh of relief.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's a nice way to get through but it would have been better to have gotten a couple wins instead of just 1.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

Heard the ESPN sportscaster (don't know his name) say that the US team is the Oregon State Beavers of the world cup, they start out slow and come on strong at the end. :lol:
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duck55 wrote:Heard the ESPN sportscaster (don't know his name) say that the US team is the Oregon State Beavers of the world cup, they start out slow and come on strong at the end. :lol:
Must have been Neil Everett.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Donovan, again!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

This game is INTENSE!

Why did we take Jozy out though?

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Ugh.
UOducksTK1 wrote:This game is INTENSE!

He looked injured to me. I saw him go down pretty hard and limp around for a while, I'd guess it was that.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Tray Dub wrote:Ugh.
UOducksTK1 wrote:This game is INTENSE!

He looked injured to me. I saw him go down pretty hard and limp around for a while, I'd guess it was that.
Damn, we needed him in the extra time...

Man heartbreaking lost, we should have beat Ghana, oh well.

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

This match was really lost in the first 10 minutes of the game. The US looked like they were still asleep or had a hangover from the previous game.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckgrad99 wrote:This match was really lost in the first 10 minutes of the game. The US looked like they were still asleep or had a hangover from the previous game.
LOL nonsense, sorry duckgrad, but you are completely wrong. After we tied it 1-1, we had sooo many chances to score. The game should have been won in the 2nd half, but we were unable to. But no way was this over after 10 minutes, I had was so confident we'd win in the 65-90th minutes. Just couldn't put it away, and obviously that came back to hurt us.

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:This match was really lost in the first 10 minutes of the game. The US looked like they were still asleep or had a hangover from the previous game.
LOL nonsense, sorry duckgrad, but you are completely wrong. After we tied it 1-1, we had sooo many chances to score. The game should have been won in the 2nd half, but we were unable to. But no way was this over after 10 minutes, I had was so confident we'd win in the 65-90th minutes. Just couldn't put it away, and obviously that came back to hurt us.

Fair enough, although the US seemed to start slow in every game. I thought Ghana owned the first half, US owned the second half and Ghana stepped up in OT.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It seems the US can overcome a deficit only so many times. They need to find a way to quit giving teams an early goal. Tough way to go out but the goals they gave up were easily defensible and were the products of mental lapses by the defense.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Ghana's keeper played his a$$ off today, with the possible exception of the PK converted by Donovan... Howard, and the rest of the American back defense?

Not so much!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

The preparation and game planning was terrible on the part of the US team. Another early goal given up and 2 early substitutions is not going to get it done against a good Ghana team. The US has the talent to not only compete at this level but win a lot of games but will not do so until they have a better coach. I would like to see the US go after a European or South American coach. Jurgen Klinsmann from Germany, who is also an analyst for ESPN has been mentioned before, in fact after Bruce Arenas was let go and before Bob Bradley got the position the US apparently tried to get Klinsmann. If the US wants to get more Americans on board they are going to have to do better than just making it past the group stage.