World Cup

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

goducks
Freshman

World Cup

Post by goducks »

Okay, so its not a "Duck sport"... Who is following it? Any predictions? The talk here, in France, is Spain and Brazil, but... pourquoi pas Les Bleus?

Notice the plane that we flew on?
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Re: World Cup

Post by gofightingducks »

It is hard to go against those 2 teams, especially Brazil. I think Brazil takes it. I think the US struggles again.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Even though the talent level of the US squad is rising to the level of some of the other 'powers' in World Cup play, there is something missing... A certain passion or desire that teams such as France, Spain, Italy, Brazil, and others possess to a greater degree.

While I would love to see the Americans do well on the pitch, I am not optimistic.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:Even though the talent level of the US squad is rising to the level of some of the other 'powers' in World Cup play, there is something missing... A certain passion or desire that teams such as France, Spain, Italy, Brazil, and others possess to a greater degree.

While I would love to see the Americans do well on the pitch, I am not optimistic.
The Americans don't get the top athletes for the team since there are so many other sports played here that aren't played in other countries (i.e. football and baseball). Other countries' players are brought up playing soccer for most of their lives and in highly competitive settings, where here in the US, kids have so many options and the soccer isn't always that intense, except for really advanced and club level teams.
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

The competition for top athletes in the US in other sports has existed for a long time. The increasing specializing in one sport athletes continues. In Florida and Texas among other states full spring football practice now occurs. I am older, 51, and when I was a senior in high school in 1976, at south eugene, I still remember when one of the better athletes in the sophomore class, the QB for the class, chose to play soccer. I thought then what a idiot. I went on to raise 2 kids that loved soccer, both played year round soccer. Both played on club teams and started as freshman in high school, and my daughter in college now. I love soccer now, watching my kids play and world cup second. Duck football is still first in my life and Duck basketball second. I still remember coaching soccer on the sidelines listening on the radio to Duck football games.
Now I just DVR them if there is a conflict.

Some of the better athletes have been choosing soccer for awhile, but there is competition for better athletes in many sports.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

There was a time when some states on the east coast required high schools below a certain size to offer soccer exclusively... Players who wanted to participate in good old American tackle football had to attend schools whose enrollment exceeded 400 or so.

Many of the elite players on US squads in the past came from very small areas of the country, where there were high concentrations of immigrants from countries such as Italy where soccer is the sport of choice. A little research shows that many of the coaches (As well as parents) in those areas were former European team players who came to the US after their playing careers ended.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:There was a time when some states on the east coast required high schools below a certain size to offer soccer exclusively... Players who wanted to participate in good old American tackle football had to attend schools whose enrollment exceeded 400 or so.

Many of the elite players on US squads in the past came from very small areas of the country, where there were high concentrations of immigrants from countries such as Italy where soccer is the sport of choice. A little research shows that many of the coaches (As well as parents) in those areas were former European team players who came to the US after their playing careers ended.
It does seem that the some of the best American players are first-gen Americans with soccer backgrounds in their family or are in areas with lots of immigrants. Soccer just isn't as natural of sport for Americans since we have so many sports that were created here that people favor, such as basketball, football, and baseball. Americans tend to like American things so that's why soccer loses out to a majority of people. I really don't mind watching soccer, but it can get a little boring if you don't know any of the players or any of the basic rules and strategies.
Last edited by greenyellow on Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Mexico! Mexico! Mexico!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Algeria is overrated, so I think they are beatable, but I have a hard time seeing us beat Slovenia or England.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Algeria is overrated, so I think they are beatable, but I have a hard time seeing us beat Slovenia or England.
No one in Lyon will quickly forget the day that Algeria won and qualified for the World Cup. There are are a LOT of Algerians living here in Lyon and they tooted their horns and screamed all night long and burned quite a few cars. It will only get worse if they win their matches!

Yeah I think that the other two teams will be tough, but team USA might be able to beat Slovenia and England is without their captain, Rio Ferdinand... It would be great to get out of the first round. And then play Germany...? Yikes!

Notice the plane that we flew on?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

goducks wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Algeria is overrated, so I think they are beatable, but I have a hard time seeing us beat Slovenia or England.
No one in Lyon will quickly forget the day that Algeria won and qualified for the World Cup. There are are a LOT of Algerians living here in Lyon and they tooted their horns and screamed all night long and burned quite a few cars. It will only get worse if they win their matches!

Yeah I think that the other two teams will be tough, but team USA might be able to beat Slovenia and England is without their captain, Rio Ferdinand... It would be great to get out of the first round. And then play Germany...? Yikes!
The US got a tough draw in their pool and if they possibly advance.
gregspechtismyhero
Freshman

Post by gregspechtismyhero »

My boy Drogba's possibly out for Ivory Coast. They're my darkhorse... :?
In Helfrich, Frost, and Allioti we trust
Image (USA Today Sports)
AIM: hockeygoalie923
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

goducks wrote:

Algeria is still a decent team, for sure, but they've been playing horribly lately even with most their starters.

My hope is England goes 3-0, we beat Algeria, and then at least tie Slovenia. I think that's definitely doable if this team plays to their potential.

All I know is I watch every single USA qualifying game. I even stayed up doing homework to watch the 5:30 AM match vs Australia just a few days ago.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

So how long before the death threats come for the England goalkeeper?
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Good game by the US. England outplayed us but Howard was lights out with some great saves. The US had a couple of opportunities but just couldn't capitalize. I hope there is no letdown and they beat Algeria and Slovenia like they should and I hope they have a better goal differential than England and win the group so they have an easier 2nd round game.