World Cup

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: World Cup

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:So how long before the death threats come for the England goalkeeper?
They probably started as soon as he touched that ball.
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

gofightingducks wrote:Good game by the US. England outplayed us but Howard was lights out with some great saves. The US had a couple of opportunities but just couldn't capitalize. I hope there is no letdown and they beat Algeria and Slovenia like they should and I hope they have a better goal differential than England and win the group so they have an easier 2nd round game.
Great game and outcome for USA! Agreed, Howard really hit his prime! Like you said, the remaining pool games are very important and let's hope that the guys are fired up! That would be so cool to win the the group!

Out of curiosity, are there any players on the current squad that have Portland ties?

Notice the plane that we flew on?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Great game. It's kinda of strange how England seemed to have control of the game, yet they never got off many quality shots. USA on the other han, had much fewer opportunities, yet they had a couple good looks. Jozy's miss of the post was heartbreaking.

England seemed to be the better team, but it could have very easily been 2-1 if Jozy had finished.

Either way, I'm ecstatic to come away with a tie! I was expecting a loss.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Great game. It's kinda of strange how England seemed to have control of the game, yet they never got off many quality shots. USA on the other han, had much fewer opportunities, yet they had a couple good looks. Jozy's miss of the post was heartbreaking.

England seemed to be the better team, but it could have very easily been 2-1 if Jozy had finished.

Either way, I'm ecstatic to come away with a tie! I was expecting a loss.
Was not expecting a tie at all. I was thinking an England win since this pairing was announced. The US' offense didn't really seem to get many runs at Green, but the defense more than held it's own against players like Rooney. They just need to quit giving up such early goals in important games.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Am I the only one that finds the buzzing throughout the game terribly annoying? Anyway, I have to be honest and say that I don't find soccer all that exciting. It's really a defensive game, and I like to see scoring. I will watch some of the games though, especially the U.S.
desertfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by desertfan »

duckgrad99 wrote:Am I the only one that finds the buzzing throughout the game terribly annoying? Anyway, I have to be honest and say that I don't find soccer all that exciting. It's really a defensive game, and I like to see scoring. I will watch some of the games though, especially the U.S.
Yeah the buzzing (vuvulelas??) sound is really ruining things. Part of the fun of watching the World Cup for me was listening to the songs/chants of fans from all corners of the globe.

As for the US, awesome result getting a draw against a team like England. Slovenia didn't look that amazing against Algeria but they got a win, so its going to be vital that the US beats Slovenia. No room for letdowns after the good England result...
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:Am I the only one that finds the buzzing throughout the game terribly annoying? Anyway, I have to be honest and say that I don't find soccer all that exciting. It's really a defensive game, and I like to see scoring. I will watch some of the games though, especially the U.S.
That buzzing is getting real annoying. I think the lack of scoring is a reason why soccer is not more popular. I can watch a soccer game but it's not the most entertaining sport to me. The goals are few and far between and it takes a really knowledgeable fan to notice the great plays that may otherwise not show up in any box score or recap.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Much of soccer involves ball handling and situational positioning that is hard for someone who hasn't participated to fathom. The type of skills being utilized on the pitch take a level of dedication and practice that most people would not commit to developing.

This is not to look down on the skills required to play the sports popular in the US. The fact that soccer is less popular here virtually guarantees that American youth will work to develop their skills in those more readily accepted by their peers and family.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:Much of soccer involves ball handling and situational positioning that is hard for someone who hasn't participated to fathom. The type of skills being utilized on the pitch take a level of dedication and practice that most people would not commit to developing.

This is not to look down on the skills required to play the sports popular in the US. The fact that soccer is less popular here virtually guarantees that American youth will work to develop their skills in those more readily accepted by their peers and family.
The thing working against soccer in America is that it's viewed as a foreign sport and as a rich person sport, even though most who play it in other countries are the poorest ones around. Kids aren't brought up with soccer in much of the country (mainly football, basketball, and baseball) while in foreign countries, it's the main sport they are brought up with.
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

greenyellow wrote:
woundedknees wrote:Much of soccer involves ball handling and situational positioning that is hard for someone who hasn't participated to fathom. The type of skills being utilized on the pitch take a level of dedication and practice that most people would not commit to developing.

The thing working against soccer in America is that it's viewed as a foreign sport and as a rich person sport, even though most who play it in other countries are the poorest ones around. Kids aren't brought up with soccer in much of the country (mainly football, basketball, and baseball) while in foreign countries, it's the main sport they are brought up with.
Yes, living in Lyon, soccer is hugely popular here and all the boys play it dreaming to become the next Zidane, Ribéry, Ronaldo, Messi, Lloris, etc... names, perhaps with a couple of exceptions, that many Americans have never even heard of. My 10 year old son, who has grown up in Europe, lives for the sport and plays it every day in the playground during recess. Our local team "Olympique Lyonnais" has a few stars on the French World Cup team most notably Jérémy Toulalan and the highly touted goalie Hugo Lloris. Whenever the French team is on the field it is "Allez les Bleus"!

gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Soccer is gaining popularity here in the US but kids in America dream of being big stars and making millions and the NFL, NBA and MLB provide that opportunity whereas unless you are the biggest of stars playing in Europe soccer does not provide that. As the MLS gets better and more of the Beckhams and Henry's (albeit late in their careers) play in the MLS soccer will continue to become more popular and American children will become more interested. Although the US doesn't have the tradition, the resources available will provide the opportunity for the US to eventually be able to compete on a more consistent basis among the elite. Keep in mind the 1994 World Cup held in the US still holds records for attendance and most revenue generated and the US is pretty much a lock to host the 2022 World Cup so things are certainly changing here in the US.
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

Great defensive game, Switzerland! It was fun to watch Spain go down!

gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Hopefully the US can win the next 2 games and have a better goal differential than England so they can win the group and play the 2nd place team in Germany's group rather than Germany in the 2nd round. It would be nice to see the US make it to at least the quarterfinals.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

goducks wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

Yes, living in Lyon, soccer is hugely popular here and all the boys play it dreaming to become the next Zidane, Ribéry, Ronaldo, Messi, Lloris, etc... names, perhaps with a couple of exceptions, that many Americans have never even heard of. My 10 year old son, who has grown up in Europe, lives for the sport and plays it every day in the playground during recess. Our local team "Olympique Lyonnais" has a few stars on the French World Cup team most notably Jérémy Toulalan and the highly touted goalie Hugo Lloris. Whenever the French team is on the field it is "Allez les Bleus"!

Sorry about France losing to Mexico. I expected much more from them in this world cup.
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

duckgrad99 wrote:
goducks wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

Sorry about France losing to Mexico. I expected much more from them in this world cup.

Thanks for the condolences! LOL It has been widely reported that there has been dissension among players and many French people do not like Domenech, the coach. The team looked really flat this evening, never could get out of the starting gate. It was painful to watch Thierry Henry on the sidelines, he has yet to touch the ball. The French seem lost without Zidane, no true leadership among the players.

Mexico played a very good game tonight and proved that they have the desire and skill that is needed to go on to the second round. Good for them!

My other team is, of course, USA. I hope that they play better than France and are able to beat Slovenia! If Algeria somehow pulls off an upset of England, we won't be able sleep tomorrow night. There are many, many Algerians in Lyon and they will party all night long if that happens!