Measles outbreak in Portland area

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: Measles outbreak in Portland area

Post by Phalanx »

Duck24 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Anti-Vaxxers: Where nutjobs unite.
FIFY
This is just plain stupid. I know a woman who is a scientist by trade who doesn't vaccinate her kids after one of them got a serious injury from a vaccine. Not everyone just sits and believes whatever they are spoon-fed by big pharma propagandists about herd m̶e̶n̶t̶a̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ immunity. It's fine if you have looked at the research and still believe in vaccines, but give others a little credit for making informed decisions that don't agree with you.

This is a case, one among many, that I just saw posted where a kid died not from a wild disease, but from the vaccine:

http://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/sites/def ... 121412.pdf

That ought to give any parent pause. For anyone with even a small spark of intellectual curiosity, here is an article that explains a little bit about the opposite perspective. It doesn't mention autism once.

https://www.learntherisk.org/news/measl ... ithVIY0k1M

I live in an area where the school has been shut down over this. I am told that several of the cases are actually vaccinated children. I also have a baby who isn't old enough to be vaccinated yet, so a little more skin in the game than most of you, and I am still willing to listen to the evidence from the other side.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I’m not one to shout somebody down, but no. Just no.

A single scientist or 1% of doctors or whatever doesn’t change that somebody putting their community at risk makes them an asshole.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Phalanx wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Anti-Vaxxers: Where nutjobs unite.
FIFY
This is just plain stupid. I know a woman who is a scientist by trade who doesn't vaccinate her kids after one of them got a serious injury from a vaccine. Not everyone just sits and believes whatever they are spoon-fed by big pharma propagandists about herd m̶e̶n̶t̶a̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ immunity. It's fine if you have looked at the research and still believe in vaccines, but give others a little credit for making informed decisions that don't agree with you.

This is a case, one among many, that I just saw posted where a kid died not from a wild disease, but from the vaccine:

http://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/sites/def ... 121412.pdf

That ought to give any parent pause. For anyone with even a small spark of intellectual curiosity, here is an article that explains a little bit about the opposite perspective. It doesn't mention autism once.

https://www.learntherisk.org/news/measl ... ithVIY0k1M

I live in an area where the school has been shut down over this. I am told that several of the cases are actually vaccinated children. I also have a baby who isn't old enough to be vaccinated yet, so a little more skin in the game than most of you, and I am still willing to listen to the evidence from the other side.
Three of the cases were not determined if they had been vaccinated. All the rest were unvaccinated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

StevensTechU wrote:I’m not one to shout somebody down, but no. Just no.

A single scientist or 1% of doctors or whatever doesn’t change that somebody putting their community at risk makes them an asshole.
Well, you can call people names as much as you like. I don't think they are making their decision with you and your opinion in mind. They are thinking about the health of their children. The good news is that death from the measles is extremely rare in first-world conditions. There has apparently only been one death in the U.S. related to the measles since 2003, and even that one was a vaccinated woman who had a pre-existing problem with her immune system. More people die in the U.S. from playing football than the measles, and I don't see anyone here calling people names for playing football.

This is a link to the CDC outbreak list. No mention of our situation in Portland/ Vancouver.

https://www.cdc.gov/outbreaks/index.html
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

nogerO wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Please vaccinate your children. It's not only a risk to them if you don't, it's a major public health risk, especially to other children under the age of 1.
Probably came from illegal immigrants. Portland is a sanctuary city after all...
How sad must it be to be a bitter and angry old man...
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Holy cow, people rarely die from measles and football is more dangerous? I wonder why that is? It’s almost like we instituted a national system of measles prevention with rare side effects that has worked to extreme success.

Saying someone is an asshole for endangering susceptible members of their community isn’t name calling, it’s fact.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

StevensTechU wrote:Holy cow, people rarely die from measles and football is more dangerous? I wonder why that is? It’s almost like we instituted a national system of measles prevention with rare side effects that has worked to extreme success.

Saying someone is an asshole for endangering susceptible members of their community isn’t name calling, it’s fact.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:Saying someone is an asshole for endangering susceptible members of their community isn’t name calling, it’s fact.
Does this make that kid from Thurston who the Oregonian praised for playing a BBall game with the Flu an asshole too for putting others at risk? The Flu killed over 80K people in the US last year according to the CDC, do we also rebuke those who don't get the Flu shot?
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Duck07 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Saying someone is an asshole for endangering susceptible members of their community isn’t name calling, it’s fact.
Does this make that kid from Thurston who the Oregonian praised for playing a BBall game with the Flu an asshole too for putting others at risk? The Flu killed over 80K people in the US last year according to the CDC, do we also rebuke those who don't get the Flu shot?
Yes, so is the guy who brags about coming into work when he's sick.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

FlDuckFan wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
X2! If you are sick stay home! I don’t want to use the phone after you! Plus the parents who don’t vaccinate are idiots!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Alan wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
X2! If you are sick stay home! I don’t want to use the phone after you! Plus the parents who don’t vaccinate are idiots!
X3
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:
Where does it end? Especially since many of these cases of measles (and pretty much ALL the deaths) are actually caused by the vaccines?

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/03/globe-n ... Hrj6DiRLQw
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Phalanx wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
Where does it end? Especially since many of these cases of measles (and pretty much ALL the deaths) are actually caused by the vaccines?

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/03/globe-n ... Hrj6DiRLQw
Based on the Weston A. Price Foundation, noted for promoting raw milk and animal based fats. What could possibly go wrong?

From Wiki
The Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF), co-founded in 1999 by Sally Fallon (Morell) and nutritionist Mary G. Enig, is a U.S. 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to "restoring nutrient-dense foods to the American diet through education, research and activism."[2]

The foundation has been criticized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for its advocacy of drinking raw milk[3] and by various nutritionists, including Joel Fuhrman, for its advocacy of the health benefits of animal-based fats.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

maxduck wrote:
Based on the Weston A. Price Foundation, noted for promoting raw milk and animal based fats. What could possibly go wrong?

From Wiki
The Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF), co-founded in 1999 by Sally Fallon (Morell) and nutritionist Mary G. Enig, is a U.S. 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to "restoring nutrient-dense foods to the American diet through education, research and activism."[2]

The foundation has been criticized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for its advocacy of drinking raw milk[3] and by various nutritionists, including Joel Fuhrman, for its advocacy of the health benefits of animal-based fats.
I don't have an issue with raw milk if the operation is a sanitary one. Not sure what that has to do with the argument being made in the article about vaccinations though. Did you note the references at the bottom? It seems like some people in here missed a few classes in logic and research when they attended U of O. Ad hominems are not usually regarded as arguments, at least in the adult world.