Knees

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Knees

Post by woundedknees »

My daughter graduated from Oregon last year, and needed to take a PE class as part of the masters degree program at NCU. First day of class, she is running in the gym, plants her right foot to change direction, and has a no contact knee injury hauntingly similar to Pharaoh Brown's. She's in the hospital tonight under observation to make sure the artery doesn't collapse. She will need surgery to repair ligament damage to at least the pcl and mcl. Small world, but not in a good way.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Knees

Post by Phenom »

That's tough man. I hope she heals well.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Thanks.

When I injured my knee he first time, it was similar, but I was in peak physical condition, so my recovery was already easier than hers will be. She has a physical therapist who is great with knee injuries, but I know what a tough road she has going forward.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I'll definitely be praying for her.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Got the MRI results... complete tears of the ACL, PCL and lateral collateral, in addition to a partial tear of the MCL.

I can honestly say she has surpassed anything I ever did in a single injury.

Edit: The surgeon came by this morning and stated this is every bit as severe as Brown's injury, and that post-surgical recovery will be about 18 months. Supposedly the therapist he is recommending is one of the team working with Pharaoh.

Odds are she will eventually need a knee replacement in the years ahead, but the reconstruction is necessary to provide the support structure to make that possible.

goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

How traumatic, so sorry to hear this. :( Hope the best for her and it sounds like she is in good hands.

Notice the plane that we flew on?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Seems like knee injuries run in the family there. On a more serious note though, hope she recovers from what sounds like a pretty nasty injury. Not sure I've ever heard of someone tearing all 4 knee ligaments except in just plain freak accidents or bad vehicle crashes.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

oh wow....that's awful

I hope she makes a full recovery.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Dang I'm so sorry wounded. Praying for her and your family
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The surgeon said this was one of the most catastrophic non-sports knee ligament injuries he has ever seen. Comparable to Pharaoh Brown.

The appointment is noon tomorrow, and we should learn how soon the surgery can be performed at that time.

UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Good luck to you and yours.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

My daughter is not an athlete, other than helping me with coaching youth soccer, and being generally active, so the approach her care team is taking is considerably different than the aggressive intervention used in Pharaoh's case.

They are now putting surgery on hold util December, to allow a certain amount of natural healing to take place. It is hoped that this will provide stronger anchor points for attaching the various ligaments and tendons that will need to be rearranged to stabilize the joint.

The good news is that she will NOT be confined to a wheel chair during that period, although she will need assistance.

On her second visit to the physical therapist, the surgeon(Whose office is next door) came in to check on her, and announced, "Let's get you on your feet!"

To say she was surprised, is an understatement.

The PT guy brought over a wheeled walker, unlocked her brace, and helped her stand.

She surprised both the doctor and the therapist by cruising across the room, albeit slowly.

Wheelchair is out of the picture, faster than the original request for insurance authorization was processed.

Amazing how having a little freedom of movement helps lighten the spirit!

gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Best of luck to her. Sounds like she is on the way to making the best out of a cringe worthy injury.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:My daughter is not an athlete, other than helping me with coaching youth soccer, and being generally active, so the approach her care team is taking is considerably different than the aggressive intervention used in Pharaoh's case.

They are now putting surgery on hold util December, to allow a certain amount of natural healing to take place. It is hoped that this will provide stronger anchor points for attaching the various ligaments and tendons that will need to be rearranged to stabilize the joint.

The good news is that she will NOT be confined to a wheel chair during that period, although she will need assistance.

On her second visit to the physical therapist, the surgeon(Whose office is next door) came in to check on her, and announced, "Let's get you on your feet!"

To say she was surprised, is an understatement.

The PT guy brought over a wheeled walker, unlocked her brace, and helped her stand.

She surprised both the doctor and the therapist by cruising across the room, albeit slowly.

Wheelchair is out of the picture, faster than the original request for insurance authorization was processed.

Amazing how having a little freedom of movement helps lighten the spirit!
She also now has a reason to get a handicap permit and park right near the entrance of every building she goes to.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Sorry to hear of the nasty turn of luck wounded. Best wishes to you and your daughter. Out of my entire family I'm the only one who HASN'T had knee surgery (knock on wood) but as I am getting up in years my left knee is giving me fits quite a bit. Anywho, Best to you and your daughter!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine