Tongue injury

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Tongue injury

Post by greenyellow »

Had one of my weirdest injuries ever while eating lunch today. I think I took too big of a bite from my sandwich and some of it got caught underneath my tongue. I tried forcing it past my tongue but overextended it and ended up tearing the base of the lingual frenulum (the piece that attaches your tongue to the bottom of your mouth.) Bled for a good 5-10 minutes and now can't really eat (only got a few bites of my actual lunch today), talk, or extend my tongue without it hurting. Now it's going to be about a week before it heals completely. I'm actually lucky I only slightly tore the base instead of the middle portion because it'd then take about 2 weeks to heal.
duckfan22
Senior

Re: Tongue injury

Post by duckfan22 »

sorry to hear...hope its back to full go so you can yell during the first game.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Ouch, hope it's all healed soon. Thankfully, this won't affect your contributes here.

Does it naturally heal or do you need surgery?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Ouch, hope it's all healed soon. Thankfully, this won't affect your contributes here.

Does it naturally heal or do you need surgery?
I'm still full-go here but day-to-day on other activities I actually need to use my mouth for.

From what I've read, it should heal naturally but I just have to keep it infection-free, which means swishing salt water in it every few hours. It only needs surgery if it heals abnormally, but that typically happens only if it completely detached or tears in the middle.

I almost feel like a dunce for hurting myself in such an absurd way while doing something I've been doing for 30 years without incident. I now painfully know the limits of how far my tongue can move and to pay attention when eating.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I have a dandy scar long my tongue from biting half way through it when I was a kid. I was surprised how quickly it healed. Hope you have quick healing. I know it probably hurts like the dickens!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:I have a dandy scar long my tongue from biting half way through it when I was a kid. I was surprised how quickly it healed. Hope you have quick healing. I know it probably hurts like the dickens!
It does and it makes you realize just how much you use it, especially while talking and eating, which is harder to do when you attempt to not use your tongue. I did some Panda Express since Chinese food doesn't need to be chewed as much and it's not sticky or clingy. I had to use a lot of water to wash it down just so I didn't have to use my tongue.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I got a few cuts to my tongue in a hs bball practice. I wouldn't leave early so by the time I did get to the hospital, they said to just keep it clean and it'd heal fine. No weird bumps or anything like that after it healed. The scar on my head though has a nice ridge to it.