College choice for my son

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

goducks
Freshman

College choice for my son

Post by goducks »

Hi everyone, Most of you know me as the Ducks fan who lives in France. ;) Well, I have a question for you regarding my son who is now 16 and in his second to last year of high school. He wants to go to college in the US and study aviation, his dream is to become a commercial pilot. He is already flying small aircraft and had his first solo flight just a couple of weeks ago (and, no, he does drive a car yet)! We are investigating affordable colleges and would appreciate any advise that any of you have. So far USU seems to be good option. North Dakota is just too cold for him, but they seem to have a good program, too. Maybe San Jose State, but it seems to be rather costly. COCC is a two year option, but he does not like Bend (too small)...

Thanks in advance!

Notice the plane that we flew on?
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Re: College choice for my son

Post by pudgejeff »

goducks wrote:Hi everyone, Most of you know me as the Ducks fan who lives in France. ;) Well, I have a question for you regarding my son who is now 16 and in his second to last year of high school. He wants to go to college in the US and study aviation, his dream is to become a commercial pilot. He is already flying small aircraft and had his first solo flight just a couple of weeks ago (and, no, he does drive a car yet)! We are investigating affordable colleges and would appreciate any advise that any of you have. So far USU seems to be good option. North Dakota is just too cold for him, but they seem to have a good program, too. Maybe San Jose State, but it seems to be rather costly. COCC is a two year option, but he does not like Bend (too small)...

Thanks in advance!
Lane Community College has a very respected aviation program.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

pudgejeff wrote:
goducks wrote:Hi everyone, Most of you know me as the Ducks fan who lives in France. ;) Well, I have a question for you regarding my son who is now 16 and in his second to last year of high school. He wants to go to college in the US and study aviation, his dream is to become a commercial pilot. He is already flying small aircraft and had his first solo flight just a couple of weeks ago (and, no, he does drive a car yet)! We are investigating affordable colleges and would appreciate any advise that any of you have. So far USU seems to be good option. North Dakota is just too cold for him, but they seem to have a good program, too. Maybe San Jose State, but it seems to be rather costly. COCC is a two year option, but he does not like Bend (too small)...

Thanks in advance!
Lane Community College has a very respected aviation program.
ive heard that too. i earned my transfer degree from Lane. It may be a community college but it has some great programs.
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

Thanks and we will look into Lane, but I don't think that he wants to go to a community college.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I work by Hillsboro Aviation, and I've heard good things about that place, but otherwise I have no idea. Good luck though!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'll have to look into it more, but there's a myriad of programs in Texas, which would solve the cold-weather problem. Baylor and Texas Southern come to mind if he wants a traditional university experience. Tons of strictly aviation schools in Texas, as well.
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

Embry-Riddle is one of the oldest and most recognized, Prescott and Daytona Beach campuses, plus they have a world wide program and even one you can start in high school.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

soduck wrote:Embry-Riddle is one of the oldest and most recognized, Prescott and Daytona Beach campuses, plus they have a world wide program and even one you can start in high school.
If someone is really looking for an aviation-oriented school, Embry-Riddle wouldn't be a bad choice. I knew someone that went there who is now a commercial airline pilot so it's definitely one path.
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

greenyellow wrote:
soduck wrote:Embry-Riddle is one of the oldest and most recognized, Prescott and Daytona Beach campuses, plus they have a world wide program and even one you can start in high school.
If someone is really looking for an aviation-oriented school, Embry-Riddle wouldn't be a bad choice. I knew someone that went there who is now a commercial airline pilot so it's definitely one path.
Thanks for the advice, all is welcome! :D

Yes, we have looked at Embry Riddle, which just may be the premiere aviation school in the US. But, I can tell you that the only way that he goes there is if he earns a big scholarship, obtains a super financial aide package, or wins the lottery. The estimated total for an undergraduate degree and flight school is $220,000+! That is a huge hunk of change compared to other schools/programs. That is why we are looking around.