Gas pumping in Oregon

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Gas pumping in Oregon

Post by Bud Lee »

What is this I hear of people freaking out up there over pumping their own gas?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Gas pumping in Oregon

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I think I've pumped gas like 10 times in my life.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Bud Lee wrote:What is this I hear of people freaking out up there over pumping their own gas?
Pump your own gas? Like a bunch of savages?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

We don't know how bud please come teach us
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

I thought New Jersey was the only state that still had this law. The more you know :idea:
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Read a Facebook page thread of people flipping out. Sounds like the works is going to end :lol:

Down here some of the nicer small town stations offered “full” and “self” service but it cost more for the full so that was only for the rich folks.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I pump my own when I am in Washington. I drive there a lot. I prefer to do it myself when I am in a hurry. Otherwise, sitting on my ass in climate controlled comfort while a nice person pumps my gas for less than it costs me in Washington is ok with me.

We lived in Washington for a few years and my wife did find it quite traumatic at first, but the fine people in Browns Point did it for her and we went down and had a Sunday lesson after that and her Oregonian pumping phobia was quickly cured.

I did get an earful after her first assistance required attempt, as I had not realized she had never done self service before.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

It seriously blows my mind that there will be people this week in that have been driving for decades pumping gas for the first time
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Assuming there will be a max change to pumps going self serve only.. something tells me the law want change much for awhile
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Bud Lee wrote:Assuming there will be a max change to pumps going self serve only.. something tells me the law want change much for awhile
The self pump laws have failed several times, just like the sales tax attempts. Oregonians have no problem being different for good or bad.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:Assuming there will be a max change to pumps going self serve only.. something tells me the law want change much for awhile
The self pump laws have failed several times, just like the sales tax attempts. Oregonians have no problem being different for good or bad.
Oregonians are different thats for sure. God forbid if they inact the self serve statewide and
not just eastern Oregon or central Oregon. State sales tax in Oregon will never happen unless nothing else
is tacked on to it. Grandpaduck how many times have they voted that down over the years several times.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duckfan22 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
Oregonians are different thats for sure. God forbid if they inact the self serve statewide and
not just eastern Oregon or central Oregon. State sales tax in Oregon will never happen unless nothing else
is tacked on to it. Grandpaduck how many times have they voted that down over the years several times.
Sorry I can't recall or find in a quick look up the number of failed attempts at putting in a sales tax or self service gas. Most attempts at both have been through ballot measures. (Not counting this new rural only self service measure.) The pump your own were almost always well funded initiatives started and funded by the big oil companies that owned stations in Oregon. That in itself was kind of a kiss of death on its own and they were soundly defeated.

The voting down of sales taxes and thumbing of noses at oil companies became kind of a badge of honor for the state. Since these battles last happened years ago, I doubt younger people have the same emotional attachment to these issues.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

When I first moved to Oregon, I thought it was the weirdest thing. Didn't take long to come to appreciate it. Gets annoying if you have to wait too long for an attendant, but it's a small price to pay. Now I'm living outside Oregon again, and it's colder than you know what, and I miss Oregon gas attendants so much.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I think I've pumped gas like 10 times in my life.
Lol right. I've done it more than that, but whenever I drive up to Seattle, I'll usually wait at the pump for a few minutes before realizing I have to do it myself.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

If you drive a diesel you can pump your own gas, same as if it's a collector car. Going between Seattle and the coast, the cheapest gas I always find is the philomath/corvallis Safeway. While it's not going to be a high paying job it is still a job and with how much rain we get on the coast, it's a blessing not to have to get out and do it. I want to say you can also technically pump regular fuel, you just can't put the nozzle in or take it out.

There is no higher purpose than service to others.