Kerr and Popovich talk politics

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Kerr and Popovich talk about gun violence

Post by oregontrack »

and utah is coming in hot right behind the clips.

fantastic game last night.

edit: i'm going to keep the politics to a minimum here, i realize this isn't the board for it, but: i love steve kerr. and pop. kerr speaking out on the madness we endure every day in this country is so great. pop won't give up a 2-second soundbyte to talk about his team, but he'll openly discuss social issues to anyone who listens. we need more kerrs and pops.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duck07
All-American

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Post by Duck07 »

oregontrack wrote:and utah is coming in hot right behind the clips.

edit: i'm going to keep the politics to a minimum here, i realize this isn't the board for it, but: i love steve kerr. and pop. kerr speaking out on the madness we endure every day in this country is so great. pop won't give up a 2-second soundbyte to talk about his team, but he'll openly discuss social issues to anyone who listens. we need more kerrs and pops.
Considering none of them spoke out like this previously, I really can't stand it. It's short sighted commentary that ignored any previous state action but then I've noticed myself watching less and less sports now as everyone tries to show off how big their egos are. Pop in particular says some stupid stuff.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Duck07 wrote:
oregontrack wrote:and utah is coming in hot right behind the clips.

Considering none of them spoke out like this previously, I really can't stand it. It's short sighted commentary that ignored any previous state action but then I've noticed myself watching less and less sports now as everyone tries to show off how big their egos are. Pop in particular says some stupid stuff.
lol
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

both kerr and pop have always been very vocal. this was hardly their first rodeo.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Uh, no. Neither were talking like they do now under previous administrations. I agree with 07. It's incredibly annoying. Stick to basketball.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The western conference standings are nuts right now. If Utah can stay hot, they could realistically go from 10th to 3rd in the west. I don't ever remember such a slim margin between home court in the first round and out of the playoffs.

I will stay out of the political discussion (wrong thread) other than to say the "Stick to basketball" take (or "Stick to comedy" or "Stick to _____(anything") is un-American. I'm for free speech, as we all should be.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

"stick to sports" is a weak man's reaction when something makes him uncomfortable.

considering kerr's personal history, his perspective is also uniquely interesting.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

yeah, StevensTech is right. if a mod wants to cut out my post and move it elsewhere i'll gladly respond to anyone who may wish to further the discussion. if not, onward trail blazers discussion.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

oregontrack wrote:"stick to sports" is a weak man's reaction when something makes him uncomfortable.

considering kerr's personal history, his perspective is also uniquely interesting.
No, I just never heard Pop talk about all the foreigners we killed on a weekly basis during the previous administration and how the rule of law was routinely circumvented and what that is so outrageous. I really enjoy the part where the coaches routinely bring up the Authorized Use of Military Force as a psuedo declaration of war and the effect that this has had on our foreign policy.

I also like how all these athletes who don't graduate or read a book while in school then go and speak out against these social injustices in American society because they don't know squat about the rest of the world so they think these are the greatest problems in the world. Black Lives Matter all right, just the pampered ones in the US while a new genocide is happening in post Gaddafi Libya.

There are symptoms and there are causes. When people rage against symptoms and ignore the causes, I can't take them seriously. It's also a reminder that when you point a finger, you've got 3 pointing right back at you.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

oregontrack wrote:"stick to sports" is a weak man's reaction when something makes him uncomfortable.

Given that it is the policy of this board, your statement is kind of interesting. You think that our discussions should be interspersed with political opinion? Perhaps you should lead a boycott, since it is so unAmerican.

I'm not a fan of the left's fun idea to merge sports and politics, any more than I am a fan when the right does it. People don't turn on sports to be preached at, we get more than enough of that in other settings. Neither Kerr nor Popovitch is adding anything to the political world that isn't already there in abundance. Neither is dealing with the issues in a meaningful way, looking at both sides, etc. It's just their opinion that they feel like everyone else should listen to because they coach basketball. They look every bit as foolish with their political hot takes as Trump does.

Assuming that someone is 'weak' or 'uncomfortable' because they don't want to hear your political views is also patronizing and short-sighted. There is a reason why everyone knows what the Woodshed is, and wants to avoid it. I am a firm believer in the marketplace of ideas, but not in foisting one's unwelcome political opinions on someone else.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Phalanx wrote:

Given that it is the policy of this board, your statement is kind of interesting. You think that our discussions should be interspersed with political opinion? Perhaps you should lead a boycott, since it is so unAmerican.

I'm not a fan of the left's fun idea to merge sports and politics, any more than I am a fan when the right does it. People don't turn on sports to be preached at, we get more than enough of that in other settings. Neither Kerr nor Popovitch is adding anything to the political world that isn't already there in abundance. Neither is dealing with the issues in a meaningful way, looking at both sides, etc. It's just their opinion that they feel like everyone else should listen to because they coach basketball. They look every bit as foolish with their political hot takes as Trump does.

Assuming that someone is 'weak' or 'uncomfortable' because they don't want to hear your political views is also patronizing and short-sighted. There is a reason why everyone knows what the Woodshed is, and wants to avoid it. I am a firm believer in the marketplace of ideas, but not in foisting one's unwelcome political opinions on someone else.

moreso that when a reporter asks a direct question and the man gives an honest response, i hardly think we should be telling him to shut-up and stick to basketball. i applaud the willingness to open up. for every fan he gains there's an equal and opposite reaction, and meeker individuals wouldn't tread those waters.
Phalanx
Senior

Kerr and Popovich talk politics

Post by Phalanx »

oregontrack wrote:

moreso that when a reporter asks a direct question and the man gives an honest response, i hardly think we should be telling him to shut-up and stick to basketball. i applaud the willingness to open up. for every fan he gains there's an equal and opposite reaction, and meeker individuals wouldn't tread those waters.
Too bad that isn't the case, particularly with Popovitch. He calls up news outlets out of the blue to render his pearls of political wisdom regarding Trump.
Unsolicited, he called journalist Dave Zirin of The Nation to vent.
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/10/16/gregg ... ess-coward

I'm sorry if you are lacking in people to engage regarding politics. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum - I get a regular does of political views daily. I don't find listening to superficial political views intimidating or uncomfortable. I find it annoying and ignorant.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i'm not engaging steve kerr in political discourse, i don't know the man.

i believe you re: pop seeking out the media. my comment regarding a reporter asking kerr a question was in response to a reporter asking kerr a question, and being aware of that because he coached a game against a team i watch not 24 hours ago.

i am sorry you find it annoying and ignorant. i do not. i think this has about run its course?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Seriously, can you guys start a different thread or direct message each other?
Duck07
All-American

Re: Kerr and Popovich talk politics

Post by Duck07 »