Measles outbreak in Portland area

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Measles outbreak in Portland area

Post by GrantDuck »

Please vaccinate your children. It's not only a risk to them if you don't, it's a major public health risk, especially to other children under the age of 1.
nogerO
Senior

Re: Measles outbreak in Portland area

Post by nogerO »

GrantDuck wrote:Please vaccinate your children. It's not only a risk to them if you don't, it's a major public health risk, especially to other children under the age of 1.
Probably came from illegal immigrants. Portland is a sanctuary city after all...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

nogerO wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Please vaccinate your children. It's not only a risk to them if you don't, it's a major public health risk, especially to other children under the age of 1.
Probably came from illegal immigrants. Portland is a sanctuary city after all...
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

If we were to make it political, health outbreaks are far more commonly going to come from the homeless population.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

lukeyrid13 wrote:If we were to make it political, health outbreaks are far more commonly going to come from the homeless population.
Pretty sure the fine folks in the sanctuary cities are mostly homeless.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Anti-Vaxxers: Where Far Left and Far Right unite.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:If we were to make it political, health outbreaks are far more commonly going to come from the homeless population.
Or it’s the Suzy Homemakers who think they know more than doctors so don’t vaccinate Little Jimmy and Becky because she saw some viral meme on Facebook about how Jenny McCarthy said vaccines cause autism. And we all know Jenny McCarthy, of whoring herself (literally and figuratively) on MTV fame, is the go to source for rock solid scientific and medical information.

Homeless folks, while suffering from their own scourge of other issues, are more than likely all vaccinated because they are mostly over the age of 20, which is when the anti-vax nutjobs crawled out of their holes and started spewing their garbage and clueless parents took it as gospel. Parents who voluntarily don’t vaccinate their kids should be jailed for child endangerment if their kids contract and spread a completely preventable disease.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

StevensTechU wrote:Anti-Vaxxers: Where nutjobs unite.
FIFY
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

nogerO wrote:
Pretty sure the fine folks in the sanctuary cities are mostly homeless.
I'm sure you think you're speaking truth to power or whatever, but you're actually just being an asshole.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Based on the stats I could find on vaccination rates by states, Washington is around 88% (Oregon is around 91%) for MMR vaccination, which is one of the lowest rates in the nation. That puts them on par with states like Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and Ohio.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

greenyellow wrote:Based on the stats I could find on vaccination rates by states, Washington is around 88% (Oregon is around 91%) for MMR vaccination, which is one of the lowest rates in the nation. That puts them on par with states like Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and Ohio.
Pretty sure I’ve heard/read that the area in most impacted by this is hovering around 70%.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck24 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Based on the stats I could find on vaccination rates by states, Washington is around 88% (Oregon is around 91%) for MMR vaccination, which is one of the lowest rates in the nation. That puts them on par with states like Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and Ohio.
Pretty sure I’ve heard/read that the area in most impacted by this is hovering around 70%.
From the articles I just found, Vancouver, WA has some of the lowest rates in the state. They put the percentages in the high 70s-low 80s for elementary kids but that low of rate is exactly why it's spreading since most health experts say you need somewhere around 95% immunization to get good herd immunity.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I thought schools wouldn't even allow kids without up to date vaccination reports
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I thought schools wouldn't even allow kids without up to date vaccination reports
That used to be but states have been getting real lenient with giving exemptions to being fully-vaccinated.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Thanks for the heads up! My grandkids are supposed to come and visit in about a week. I'm sure they are vaccinated but why bring them in now when a can wait a few weeks. 40 confirmed cases now..... I'll wait it out.