End Racism

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

End Racism

Post by GrantDuck »

Thought it was a very nice message. It was a nice compromise of making a statement, without having it be overly political.
Duck07
All-American

Re: End Racism

Post by Duck07 »

It's a bunch of hollow, sycophantic nonsense like pink uniforms to raise "awareness." Racism is not a problem in America.

Trillion Dollar Federal Reserve Bailouts to Corporate America is a serious f'in problem. 19 year Wars sponsored by both parties that cost Trillions of dollars and our wanton Drone programs killing innocent people 90% of the time is a serious f'in problem. The unchecked espionage of citizens and civil asset forfeiture is a serious f'in problem.

The problems that the people on TV tell you are problems, either aren't real problems or they don't have the actual solution that benefits the people at large.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

One of my stepfather's 2nd cousins was a guy named W.E.B. DuBois. I realize I am not perfect, but I find a lot of what people complain about now hard to see in comparison to what was going on during the early Civil Rights Movement, when he was active.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Duck07 wrote:It's a bunch of hollow, sycophantic nonsense like pink uniforms to raise "awareness." Racism is not a problem in America.

Trillion Dollar Federal Reserve Bailouts to Corporate America is a serious f'in problem. 19 year Wars sponsored by both parties that cost Trillions of dollars and our wanton Drone programs killing innocent people 90% of the time is a serious f'in problem. The unchecked espionage of citizens and civil asset forfeiture is a serious f'in problem.

The problems that the people on TV tell you are problems, either aren't real problems or they don't have the actual solution that benefits the people at large.
Racism is not a problem in America?

I think I’ll pass on this one for the sake of civility. I just want it known I strongly disagree.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Is this thread a test for someone? Or just a means to create chaos?
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

Can we respectfully, given the climate that the rest of the country is in, ask that a mod lock this thread?
fernandez5
One Star Recruit

Post by fernandez5 »

Duck07 wrote:It's a bunch of hollow, sycophantic nonsense like pink uniforms to raise "awareness." Racism is not a problem in America.

This is the most ridiculous I’ve ever heard. Every player on the team you root for would disagree and they probably have a lot more first hand knowledge than you. If you can’t support them maybe stick to nascar.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

fernandez5 wrote:

This is the most ridiculous I’ve ever heard. Every player on the team you root for would disagree and they probably have a lot more first hand knowledge than you. If you can’t support them maybe stick to nascar.
You're false hyperbole is noted, as is your need to try and make a personal attack against me. Instead if you could actually try and disagree by providing evidence that what I've said is wrong I'd enjoy seeing it.

Again, Racism is not a problem in America.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck07, I just question why you felt the need to grandstand. The OP was basically saying "Oh hey, that was nice" and you went full rant. Maybe just pick your timing better?
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Yeah, really bizarre to get triggered over a message that is universally embraced by any rational person. This is pretty simple....

1. Racism = a bad thing.

2. There are unquestionably some racist people in this country, and every country in the world for that matter. Exactly how much of a "problem" it is can be debated, I suppose, since what constitutes a "problem" is subjective.

3. Until there is literally no racism in the world (which will likely never happen), striving to "End Racism" is always a good thing.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Dude, could you please just sit still and submit to the programming? It's just a few brown people thousands of miles away getting blown up at weddings so we can have cheap oil and opiates. Are you trying to ruin our petrodollar trade? Why do you libertarians have to be so difficult? :lol:
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:Duck07, I just question why you felt the need to grandstand. The OP was basically saying "Oh hey, that was nice" and you went full rant. Maybe just pick your timing better?
I'm genuinely upset about everyone of those issues I mentioned and the severely apathetic response that they illicit. That these issues are ignored in favor of hollow ones only exacerbates the absurdity of its focus.

I take issues with schools and places of education debasing their integrity of purpose by ignoring evidence in favor of emotions. Perhaps its because I don't subscribe to Post-Modernist methods of thinking or that when examining an issue I look for the Causes and not the Symptoms.

I do think its charitable that people support causes but I guess I took too many Ken classes so that when people say dumb things like "End Racism" or "End Poverty" its just them saying "I don't know what I'm talking about but I want to feel important because something is wrong."
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

gogreen55 wrote:Yeah, really bizarre to get triggered over a message that is universally embraced by any rational person. This is pretty simple....

1. Racism = a bad thing.
I never said Racism was a good thing. Please, go on and explain how you can "end" this though? Can you give examples of how this is a massive problem in America in 2020?
gogreen55 wrote:2. There are unquestionably some racist people in this country, and every country in the world for that matter. Exactly how much of a "problem" it is can be debated, I suppose, since what constitutes a "problem" is subjective.
Almost like you agree with my main point that it's not a major problem in America, especially when we compare it the actual problems we have or countries that are actively engaged in forms of Genocide! (Hint - the US is on that list for what its done in Yemen by any rational account)
gogreen55 wrote:3. Until there is literally no racism in the world (which will likely never happen), striving to "End Racism" is always a good thing.
Well I'm glad you agree with me that it's an exercise in futility that would be better spent addressing actual problems we can fix (and rather easily at that).

I've got to say though, I'm really overwhelmed by all the solutions to Ending Racism now and forever that everyone has come up with. You must all free really good about yourselves for finding the answer to this problem after centuries of other people trying.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I agree with pretty much everyone in this thread; yes it's a nice saying/thought and we could have left it at that.

At the same time, I'm with Duck07, please show examples of racism in our country, and let me know how to end it. I support ending it as well, but just throwing out empty (typically misguided targeted stereotyping) calls to action and platitudes just doesn't do much. And while the saying in and of itself is fine, unfortunately, many think that there are a number of folks who are racist or support racism and thus need to end their power or ideology.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I agree with pretty much everyone in this thread; yes it's a nice saying/thought and we could have left it at that.

At the same time, I'm with Duck07, please show examples of racism in our country, and let me know how to end it. I support ending it as well, but just throwing out empty (typically misguided targeted stereotyping) calls to action and platitudes just doesn't do much. And while the saying in and of itself is fine, unfortunately, many think that there are a number of folks who are racist or support racism and thus need to end their power or ideology.
I live in the deep southeast part of Georgia where the demographic is roughly 60/40 white/black. The people here are nice and I don't see any examples of racism. However, for the most part, most of the people here have had a religious/conservative upbringing.

I agree with you both. I agree with the concept of ending racism where it exists, and I'm sure there are people who still are racist, just don't try to force the "fact" that it's some sort of systemic problem down my throat. It's not. Please stop trying to make it more than it is.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine