Autzen Stadium: Fans allowed in this year?

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

betty white
Two Star Recruit

Autzen Stadium: Fans allowed in this year?

Post by betty white »

Alabama is saying their stadium will be 100% full this year. And I believe them. What about Autzen. Anyone hear anything juicy? Selling season tickets? Doing tailgate reservations??
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Autzen Stadium: Fans allowed in this year?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Maybe they’ll let 50 fans in?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Know a guy at a Pac 12 athletic department, he says at least a significant chunk of capacity will be allowed in, and full stadiums are on the table. Pressure from other conferences (Alabama just announced they'll be at 100%) and from other sports programs, who need football revenue, will make it hard to drag feet.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With news today that they believe there'll be enough vaccine produced for everybody in the US by the end of May, there'll likely be enough people in Oregon fully vaccinated so they can open Autzen to fans.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

greenyellow wrote:With news today that they believe there'll be enough vaccine produced for everybody in the US by the end of May, there'll likely be enough people in Oregon fully vaccinated so they can open Autzen to fans.
The question will be, will the University require proof of vaccination for admittance? Will season ticket holders be asked to send in vaccination papers as part of the purchase agreement?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

By the end of the day today, Alabama will have surpassed 10k covid-relatrd deaths. Maybe they're banking on the idea that everyone in the state who's susceptible to the virus will have gotten it by football season.

(/facetious)
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

With our governor, probably less than 25%.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

My thought is that once everyone who wants a vaccine has one, everything should open up to full open and that the anti-vaxers should be encouraged to mingle and get the virus to get it over with. Getting herd immunity in the unvaccinated by choice group as quickly as possible lowers the time for variants to develop.

Is that line of thinking cruel or inhumane?

The flaw to this if there is no vaccine yet for children whose parents want them to be vaccinated. On the other hand my grandson needs protection due to a cardiac condition. If we let the virus run through the un-vaccinated as quickly as possible, the less time we will have to keep him quarantined if no under 16 vaccine is available.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrandpaDuck wrote:My thought is that once everyone who wants a vaccine has one, everything should open up to full open and that the anti-vaxers should be encouraged to mingle and get the virus to get it over with. Getting herd immunity in the unvaccinated by choice group as quickly as possible lowers the time for variants to develop.

The flaw to this if there is no vaccine yet for children whose parents want them to be vaccinated. On the other hand my grandson needs protection due to a cardiac condition. If we let the virus run through the un-vaccinated as quickly as possible, the less time we will have to keep him quarantined if no under 16 vaccine is available.
I think about this often, as I'm the only one in an immediate family of 6 who will opt to get the vaccine, and my other half is a medical professional. I tend to agree with your viewpoint, and the one hang-up I do see is that if the anti-vaccination population is substantially large, there may be enough to overwhelm the health care system by opening up everything. I don't know what the % of opt-ins is in order to avoid it, but just something that's on my mind.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:My thought is that once everyone who wants a vaccine has one, everything should open up to full open and that the anti-vaxers should be encouraged to mingle and get the virus to get it over with. Getting herd immunity in the unvaccinated by choice group as quickly as possible lowers the time for variants to develop.

I think about this often, as I'm the only one in an immediate family of 6 who will opt to get the vaccine, and my other half is a medical professional. I tend to agree with your viewpoint, and the one hang-up I do see is that if the anti-vaccination population is substantially large, there may be enough to overwhelm the health care system by opening up everything. I don't know what the % of opt-ins is in order to avoid it, but just something that's on my mind.
Love this label, of “anti-vacation” group, for people who don’t want a unproven vaccine, for a virus that isn’t a threat to that person. My wife got COVID, kicked it in a day and myself and kids didn’t get it. We did nothing to quarantine her from the rest of us. I’ve had every vaccine, but I’ll wait a few years before taking this one. There is a reason the FDA usually waits years to push a vaccine through. This isn’t the Black Plague. On the grand scheme of serious threats throughout humanity by viruses or illnesses, COVID is about a 3. If I can’t go to Autzen without a paper saying I didn’t get a unproven vaccine, then I guess I’ll just start going to Texas games.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:

Love this label, of “anti-vacation” group, for people who don’t want a unproven vaccine, for a virus that isn’t a threat to that person. My wife got COVID, kicked it in a day and myself and kids didn’t get it. We did nothing to quarantine her from the rest of us. I’ve had every vaccine, but I’ll wait a few years before taking this one. There is a reason the FDA usually waits years to push a vaccine through. This isn’t the Black Plague. On the grand scheme of serious threats throughout humanity by viruses or illnesses, COVID is about a 3. If I can’t go to Autzen without a paper saying I didn’t get a unproven vaccine, then I guess I’ll just start going to Texas games.
This. I by no means am an anti-vaxer (I get my flu shot every year), but I'm in certainly no rush to get a rushed vaccine that has had some weird health effects. Plus my wife won't get one, we want to have another kid soon, and there's been evidence it has an adverse affect on women's fertility. I honestly at this point would rather get Covid than the vaccine, I'm in my low 30's, work out and eat healthy, take my vitamins, eat plenty of vegetables, have asthma (and the asthma community have a higher survival rate, we're used to having trouble breathing!), and can afford a couple weeks of quarantine. However I'd rather not get Covid if I had the choice. But I know some people that have had it and they said it's no worse than a common cold. Insulting and criticizing people for choosing to wait on the Covid vaccine is more brain-washed than waiting to get a rushed vaccine.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I apologize for using "anti-vaxers" instead of "unvaccinated by choice" as I usually do. It was lazy typing. I actually largely agree with you. This disease is so demographically weighted that were I young and healthy I would seriously weigh if and when I would get vaccinated for it. But my point is for those who don't want to take it, shouldn't we open up and let it run its coarse thru that group than draw it out for years in that rather large segment of the population before a variant develops that isn't as forgiving to the young?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I apologize for nothing. I will continue to exercise my choice to use whatever factually correct language I'd like and won't worry about people making long, whiney posts.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

My thought is that once everyone who wants a vaccine has one, everything should open up to full open and that the anti-vaxers should be encouraged to mingle and get the virus to get it over with. Getting herd immunity in the unvaccinated by choice group as quickly as possible lowers the time for variants to develop.
Simple fix. Give unvaccinated Oregonians free tickets to the first couple games. Include catered halftime food in the Mo. Prohibit masks. That should help with herd immunity among the unvaccinated. (Joking!)

Seriously, though, I hope enough Oregonians have the good sense to get vaccinated and bring us to that 80 percent mark, otherwise this is just going to drag on and on for no reason especially as new variants hit. I get why people have concerns about these vaccines being "new," but the platforms these vaccines are built on aren't new which is why they've been so safe and successful. I was once among the skeptical, too, but I've seen enough to trust the experts on this.

I do think we'll have fans in the seats this fall, and more than just a small number. I'm not sure if we'll have 100 percent capacity -- hard to see that happening if we don't reach an appropriate vaccine benchmark. Heck, I'll go one step further and say we wouldn't be able to sell out the full stadium anyway unless we truly have COVID under control. Too much of the fanbase is here in Portland and wouldn't want to wade into an unvaccinated crowd.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Being old and infirm (Tongue firmly in cheek) I already had it (February), according to my doc, as did all the adults in my household (Back in February, 2020).

Since nobody has tested me other than to see if I am actively infected, prior to other medical procedures (You don't wanna know! ;) ).

None of us will be getting the vaccine.

We'll let you know what hits the fan!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!