Autzen Stadium: Fans allowed in this year?

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: Autzen Stadium: Fans allowed in this year?

Post by Phalanx »

What's cool is that other states are not so fearful and we can see how they are doing. Iowa, for instance, caused much hand-wringing in the media over its decision to lift mandatory masks and allow businesses like bars to operate at full capacity a month ago. Criticism in the media was ubiquitous, with projections of certain mass sickness and death. Biden called it 'neanderthal thinking' last week. I just saw this graph the other day of cases in all the midwestern states including Iowa. See if you can pick out Iowa on the graph:

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Important caveat about using Iowa as an example:

Iowa's restrictions weren't actually rolled back until Feb. 7. Also, case rate changes tend to lag behind policy changes by a couple of weeks.

The bulk of the decline shown in this graph occurred with restrictions in place.

Give it a few more weeks and look again to see how things really look without restrictions. Hopefully, things hold up.

Throughout the entire pandemic thus far, we've seen that rolling back restrictions increases spread while the virus is still present, and that super-spreader events have been driving the pandemic. It isn't smart to ignore the data we have and simply "hope" for a different result, but, seriously, fingers crossed for Iowa.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pezsez1 wrote:Important caveat about using Iowa as an example:

Iowa's restrictions weren't actually rolled back until Feb. 7. Also, case rate changes tend to lag behind policy changes by a couple of weeks.

The bulk of the decline shown in this graph occurred with restrictions in place.

Give it a few more weeks and look again to see how things really look without restrictions. Hopefully, things hold up.
The idea that case rate changes lag policy changes is actually in favor of no restrictions, if one starts measuring from the 21st until today, two weeks later. The last two weeks have been a steady decline in cases and deaths. Of course, it will be monitored going forward, and data, as always, will be manipulated to fit narratives. But it is funny that after a media blitz a month ago promising death and dismemberment, there is a strange silence about Iowa right now. :lol:
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Also worth noting is that masks are still required in Des Moines, which may be Iowa's largest city. That and vaccinations are probably helping to keep overall numbers favorable.

I definitely don't remember a media blitz about death and dismemberment! A month ago the headlines were still dominated by Trump's second impeachment.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pezsez1 wrote:Also worth noting is that masks are still required in Des Moines, which may be Iowa's largest city. That and vaccinations are probably helping to keep overall numbers favorable.

I definitely don't remember a media blitz about death and dismemberment! A month ago the headlines were still dominated by Trump's second impeachment.
:lol:

I know there is still voluntary mask-wearing going on, but your spin attempts are still hilarious. Des Moines is 6.65% of Iowa's population. And what about all those rural Republican deaths you mentioned (mused about)? Meanwhile, vaccines are available in all states, but some are afraid to lift restrictions, and some aren't.

"Welcome to Iowa, a state that doesn’t care if you live or die"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... trictions/
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I know there is still voluntary mask-wearing going on, but your spin attempts are still hilarious.
Masks are required in Des Moines. This isn't voluntary.

You can also find this on the Des Moines city website.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 422835001/

What did I say that was spin? I certainly didn't post a graphic of a two-month period of which just two weeks was barely relevant and try to pass that off as conclusive toward any argument. :lol:

And do you even know what "media blitz" means? Here's my guess: You watched Hannity or Tucker Carlson and they were screaming over "leftist rage against Iowa!" as if it were the next War on Christmas. ;) (They were certainly trying hard not to talk about Trump's second impeachment for inciting an insurrection.)

You do you, boo. My work here is done.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Just for clarification, I never said they weren't required in Des Moines. My response to that was that Des Moines is a small percentage of the entire state from which the data is being pulled. I had moved on from that and was just pointing out that there is still mask-wearing going on in places where it is no longer required, as one might expect. And I really challenge you too look up the current data on Iowa, and you will see that it bears out exactly what I have been saying.

The question is whether or not restrictions should be lifted (we were talking about expectations for Texas), and your bringing up vaccines is not directly relevant to that question, since they can be administered whether or not restrictions are in place.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pezsez1 wrote:
And do you even know what "media blitz" means? Here's my guess: You watched Hannity or Tucker Carlson and they were screaming over "leftist rage against Iowa!" as if it were the next War on Christmas. ;) (They were certainly trying hard not to talk about Trump's second impeachment for inciting an insurrection.)
There was a media blitz on Iowa's decision, I just chose the headline that was the most fun from a major newspaper. You have but to google to find all the other articles.

I'm not sure what the first unarmed insurrection in the history of the world has to do with what we are talking about, but by all means, flail away if you think it will help.

P.S. Your attempts to paint me as a Fox News/ Trump enthusiast miss the mark by a mile. Just FYI, so that you can direct your ad hominems with greater accuracy in the future, I am a libertarian/ Ron Paul fan. Trump is a big government guy who probably cared very little whether he was Republican or Democrat, since they have roughly the same policies on nearly everything.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

There was a media blitz on Iowa's decision, I just chose the headline that was the most fun from a major newspaper. You have but to google to find all the other articles.
The media blitz at the time was on Trump's second impeachment and the GOP acquittal. This is common sense. Iowa got headlines, but not prolonged coverage.

Also, not only are masks still mandatory in Des Moines, but also in Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, and Ames. So basically several of Iowa's most populace areas are still masking up. (Nearly 20 percent of the population!) That and vaccines are definitely helping the numbers. None of this is reflected in that unsourced graph you posted.
I'm not sure what the first unarmed insurrection in the history of the world has to do with what we are talking about
When was there an unarmed insurrection? I'm only aware of the armed one with guns, bombs, knives, American flags, etc. Several people who were arrested that day literally face firearm charges connected to the insurrection.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... urrection/
but by all means, flail away if you think it will help.
I was joking about why you probably think there was all kinds of leftist rage over Iowa, because right-wing media was bending over backward to not talk about Trump's second impeachment. Best way to do that is to kick and scream about whatever it is liberals are allegedly furious about. (i.e. bitching about the fake liberal rage over Dr. Suess books.) And although I was purely joking, I bet I'm probably right.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Well, I guess we could argue about a couple of guns vs an entire crowd of people with zero shots fired except against the protestor - and you would have taken the other side of that argument last summer. But that isn't really the discussion here, and it seems an awful lot like a red herring.

In any case, I have already explained why vaccinations are not part of the discussion. You said you don't expect the Texas policy to work out - (Absolutely Not!) Don't they have vaccines in Texas just like in Iowa? So why would vaccines keep the numbers down in Iowa, but not Texas?

Your jokes about Tucker/Hannity and how you think you are right are amusing to me, because you are applying to me the methodology by which you yourself acquire information and opinions, which is why your opinions directly mirror and parrot the mainstream media's. Just because you do it that way, doesn't mean I do. I don't even have cable T.V. and haven't seen a bit from either of the guys you mentioned in many months. In fact, I would bet money you watch those guys more than I do.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Well, I guess we could argue about a couple of guns vs an entire crowd of people - and you would have taken the other side of that argument last summer. But that isn't really the discussion here, and it seems an awful lot like a red herring.
The red herring is calling it an unarmed insurrection. Five people died, at least two officers were driven to suicide, and lawmakers were seconds away from possibly being killed by an angry mob. And, yes, people had all kinds of weapons including guns. The cops were too overwhelmed to search people, but several who've been arrested now face gun charges.

Consider the demographic here and just use common sense. These people bring their guns to Applebee's. It's incredibly naive to believe they didn't bring guns to what they viewed as their moment of revolution.
In any case, I have already explained why vaccinations are not part of the discussion. You said you don't expect the Texas policy to work out - Absolutely Not! Don't they have vaccines in Texas just like in Iowa? So why would vaccines keep the numbers down in Iowa, but not Texas?
Vaccines will eventually help in TX, too. But you can't honestly compare TX vs Iowa. Have you even been to TX? The population of Dallas alone is more than double the population of Iowa. That's a lot more bodies for the virus to spread to if we get another surge from variants. (And variants are the real threat right now, because some variants are more contagious and can reinfect COVID survivors who haven't been vaccinated.)

Also, vaccines don't work if they're sitting in the fridge. They must be in arms. And the benefits of vaccines are only marginal until we hit that critical threshold of herd immunity -- which, currently, is estimated around 75 percent. We're not there yet. Until we are, we're at risk of surges.
Your jokes about Tucker/Hannity and how you think you are right are amusing to me, because you are applying to me the methodology by which you yourself acquire information and opinions, which is why your opinions directly mirror and parrot the mainstream media's. Just because you do it that way, doesn't mean I do.
My joking is based on me actually watching Hannity and Tucker during times of crisis that don't flatter GOP leaders. I do it to keep informed of right-wing media tactics and to help understand conservative perspectives.

The fact you believe in a "media blitz" over Iowa (while Trump was being acquitted by the GOP) is a giant red flag that you fell victim to something very close to what I described.

Do you actually have a real question or issue you want to talk about? I feel like you're just circling back on things I've already explained countless times.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pezsez1 wrote: Do you actually have a real question or issue you want to talk about? I feel like you're just circling back on things I've already explained countless times.
LOL! You talk as if your answers here are final. Is this your site and I missed it all these years? This is not the 'ask Pez his opinion' thread.

The topic is having to do with opening up states such that we can have games this year. Not your spin on the protest in D.C., which I am not interested in at all.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The topic is having to do with opening up states such that we can have games this year. Not your spin on the protest in D.C., which I am not interested in at all.
You're the one who made a false claim about it being an unarmed insurrection. (Hahaha, "protest.") You were basically begging for a correction. I simply gave it to you.

But yes, fans in the stands. I hope it happens, and I bet it will. Go Ducks.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pezsez1 wrote:
You're the one who made a false claim about it being an unarmed insurrection. (Hahaha, "protest.") You were basically begging for a correction. I simply gave it to you.

But yes, fans in the stands. I hope it happens, and I bet it will. Go Ducks.
And yet, I somehow remain uncorrected. Amazing how that works. :lol:
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

And yet, I somehow remain uncorrected. Amazing how that works.
I corrected you immediately. Anyone can scroll up and see it. :lol:

And now here I am, correcting you on your feelings about being corrected. It's correctionception!