Nasty Michigan State Pass Rush Strategies vs. Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

Nasty Michigan State Pass Rush Strategies vs. Oregon

Post by FishDuck »

Coach Peterson did an outstanding job explaining some of the amazing things Michigan State does with their pass rush. While it is an article that informs Oregon fans, it also adds to all our football knowledge with studying the unique things that the Spartans do. As always—read over there and comment here. For many of you coaches that read this-do you implement parts of what you see here?

http://fishduck.com/2014/08/nasty-michi ... vs-oregon/
Duck07
All-American

Re: Nasty Michigan State Pass Rush Strategies vs. Oregon

Post by Duck07 »

If MSU runs Cover 4 against us they are going to get eaten alive in Autzen. We should see a lot of dual TE sets as well as the Double Stack formation with a TE/WR on each side. Returning our entire OL is a major benefit for us and as I've said before, MSU's smaller, faster DE's are a better matchup for our T's than bigger, stronger DEs. By and large, Quarters coverage is the same as Cover 2 and against Oregon, you absolutely cannot put both safeties 9+ yards back or we'll run it down your throat every play and play action to the TEs.

I think we'll see a lot of 4-3 Under and Cover 3 principles because one of their safeties is going to be forced to come up and account for Marcus' legs. It will still allow them to press outside but its going to force them to play more man coverage too.

The most underrated/least talked about aspects of Chip as a playcaller is that early on in a game he calls plays designed to see how you defend certain principles. Its one of the reasons why we would get frustrated early because he was trying to see how the defense had been taught to attack us. If Frost/Helfrich can figure out how MSU wants to attack early and can make the adjustments, I think we could win big.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Re: Nasty Michigan State Pass Rush Strategies vs. Oregon

Post by FlDuckFan »

Duck07 wrote: The most underrated/least talked about aspects of Chip as a playcaller is that early on in a game he calls plays designed to see how you defend certain principles. Its one of the reasons why we would get frustrated early because he was trying to see how the defense had been taught to attack us. If Frost/Helfrich can figure out how MSU wants to attack early and can make the adjustments, I think we could win big.
This is what I miss most from Chip. This is going to be a good game , I can't wait.
FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

Outstanding 007....

Post by FishDuck »

That is great chalk-talk info there. Thanks.