Now that you've seen the 2 deep, biggest surprise?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Now that you've seen the 2 deep, biggest surprise?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

What was most surprising about the 2 deep?

Which player(s) have a breakout season?

Who ends up having the biggest impact as a TRUE freshman?

Oh, and only 5 days until the season starts. :D

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Now that you've seen the 2 deep, biggest surprise?

Post by buckmarkduck »

I'm surprised that Jake P is listed at 1a above Hunt right now. Say what you will about Helf so far, but his first two OL classes have been pretty stacked. Jake was a total unknown, Hunt was a late steal and a highly rated OL, I continue to hear nothing but great things about Brennar, and this years class sound just as good. Games are won and lost in the trenches, our OL looks solid for a while.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:I'm surprised that Jake P is listed at 1a above Hunt right now. Say what you will about Helf so far, but his first two OL classes have been pretty stacked. Jake was a total unknown, Hunt was a late steal and a highly rated OL, I continue to hear nothing but great things about Brennar, and this years class sound just as good. Games are won and lost in the trenches, our OL looks solid for a while.
Hunt had some injury in camp and it sounds like he may still be working his way back. Against South Dakota, I don't think it's imperative he plays since I'd rather him be completely healthy for MSU than rush back for a game he's not exactly needed for.
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

I don't like seeing Ifo returning punts. Excited to see all these young guys get their feet wet.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I thought it was notable, as O-Live's Andrew Greif observed, that Jalen Brown, who's been practicing with the Ducks since at least spring drills, is not on the 2-deep, while Charles Nelson is.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Greenblood wrote:I thought it was notable, as O-Live's Andrew Greif observed, that Jalen Brown, who's been practicing with the Ducks since at least spring drills, is not on the 2-deep, while Charles Nelson is.
I've heard Brown was leaning towards RS, he wasn't totally ready to play right now for whatever reason.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

The only real surprise I see is Ifo returning punts, simply because I got the sense from Moseley that the coaches were leaning towards letting J. Loyd or Devon Allen handle it. I am 100% behind it though. The fear of him getting hurt doing it is overblown (sure it is possible, but not very likely) and cleanly fielding punts is an absolutely critical part of the game, so the most reliable person should be doing it, period. Hopefully he proves to be as reliable as Addison was.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

Ifo returning punts. Still remember losing Thurmond on a meaningless kick return against Cal... no bueno.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't mind Ifo returning punts.

This is football, and anyone could be injured on any play. Might as well be injured on a punt return. It could just as easily be a non-contact cut.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

pezsez1 wrote:I don't mind Ifo returning punts.

This is football, and anyone could be injured on any play. Might as well be injured on a punt return. It could just as easily be a non-contact cut.
True, but the more you put him out there the more you risk him getting hurt, especially on a punt return that can lead to him getting blown up completely unprotected.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Oregonian wrote:Ifo returning punts. Still remember losing Thurmond on a meaningless kick return against Cal... no bueno.
As has been discussed in multiple threads, punt return and kick return are completely different. The concern for Ifo returning punts is unfounded.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

While I am on the side of punt returning being far less dangerous than kick returning, my personal top priority for a punt returner is catching the ball. I was kind of surprised that a receiver like (Carrington, Nelson, C/D Allen) didn't get the job as they certainly work more at ball skills in practice.

But if Ifo is more reliable at fair catching than those 4, so be it, he should do it.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Any player at anytime can get hurt no matter the position just the nature of the game.
If your a coach and a player like IFO comes up and says "coach i want to return punts"
how are you going to say no? Ifo can get hurt at corner just as easy as returning a punt.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Are you guys serious? Punt Returning being safer than Kick Returning? Based on what, WT3's injury a few years back and KB's concussion? The single biggest difference between returning a punt vs a kick is NOT how your blocking is set up but the fact that you cannot cleanly catch the ball each time without the possibility of being knocked into next week. Returns are dangerous plays period but in all my years of watching football I've found that punt returners get laid out way more often than a kick returner. It's one thing to be prepared to get hit, its another to be staring up at a football and get clocked without being able to brace for it.

The reason the NFL hasn't changed punt returns has more to do with the technical aspect of changing it than it does the severity of risk. Its easy to push the kickoff line up so you get more touchbacks, how do you do that with punts, mark off X number of yards whenever the offense choose to "punt"?

I thought Reggie Daniels was going to win the other S spot and it looks like its still close between he an Tyree. Also surprised to see Stetzon Bair challenge TJ Daniel at DE. I'm not shocked to see Jake Pisarcik challenge for PT this year as I figured when he came in that he'd need a year to get acclimated before pushing guys around. Definitely a good sign for us especially since he's got good feet for an OL which is perfect for pulling plays.

Lastly, I'm really glad to see Devon Allen end up in the slot as I think we're going to see some fly sweeps that OAC used to run all the time with James Rodgers and I think they can be extremely effective for us, might even see a few defenders get hurdled on the way to the End Zone!
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Oregonian wrote:Ifo returning punts. Still remember losing Thurmond on a meaningless kick return against Cal... no bueno.
As has been discussed in multiple threads, punt return and kick return are completely different. The concern for Ifo returning punts is unfounded.
The concern isn't the type of play he's getting hit on, it's the fact that there are now likely multiple plays every game where our top defensive player is supposed to be tackled when, say, last year that really only occurs a rare handful of times where he gets a pick or scoops a fumble.

I couldn't care less what type of play it's on - I was there for the Thurmond injury, it wasn't really the fact that it was kick return that he blew out his knee, it was a fluke tackle where the helmet collided directly with the knee. I think fans of this team should know after all of the knee injuries we've seen over the years that it's not really the big hit you're worried about but rather the awkward twist on what seems like a normal tackle.
Duck07 wrote:Lastly, I'm really glad to see Devon Allen end up in the slot as I think we're going to see some fly sweeps that OAC used to run all the time with James Rodgers and I think they can be extremely effective for us, might even see a few defenders get hurdled on the way to the End Zone!
Hell, I'm excited for the fake fly sweep with Allen at slot. A full running start into a route? Scary.