BCS Hypothetical-Playoff Appreciation Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

desertfan
Three Star Recruit

BCS Hypothetical-Playoff Appreciation Thread

Post by desertfan »

If the BCS was still in place for this season the National Championship game would have been Florida State vs Alabama and that would have been it....

Thank god for the new playoff system!!
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Re: BCS Hypothetical-Playoff Appreciation Thread

Post by frogsnouts »

And the SEC would have likely won another championship. Just like the Notre Dame year and the LSU/Alabama year.
We've been robbed of some great football throughout history.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

desertfan wrote:If the BCS was still in place for this season the National Championship game would have been Florida State vs Alabama and that would have been it....

Yep, I woke up this morning and that very fact pissed me off. It would have been another Bama win, SEC, SEC, SEC, and another 5 years of talking about how unbeatable the SEC is and another crystal ball for Saban. We may not win it all, but at least the two most deserving teams get the opportunity this year.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

frogsnouts wrote:And the SEC would have likely won another championship. Just like the Notre Dame year and the LSU/Alabama year.
We've been robbed of some great football throughout history.
Exactly, well said. College football fans are just starting to wake up to this fact. The SEC has had a stranglehold on the system way too long. In light of these results, and given the perception before these games happened (and the AP votes), it seems highly likely that a number of teams that were deemed to have won the 'national championship' were actually just SEC teams that never had to play hard teams outside their conference.

Make no mistake: the AP was ready to hand Alabama another national championship. Now they aren't even in the game.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

desertfan wrote:If the BCS was still in place for this season the National Championship game would have been Florida State vs Alabama and that would have been it....

That went through my mind last night as well that we would have been left out in the BCS.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Great point! Playoff is already weeding out some of the bias. It's not perfect, as TCU has shown that they could have easily been in the playoff as well, but definitely a step up.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

The SEC has never been nothing but a product of the corruption of the SEC. With their embarrassing non-conference schedule, they have been an embarrassment to college football. I'm glad to see that the SEC will no longer be rewarded for being wimps. Though I still think the college football playoffs should include 6 teams, it doesn't make sense to me to have 4 spots with 5 power conferences. I know teams will always complain about being the first or second team out, but when it's an entire conference that's guaranteed to be left out, then it doesn't make sense to me.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

OregonFan4Life wrote:The SEC has never been nothing but a product of the corruption of the SEC. With their embarrassing non-conference schedule, they have been an embarrassment to college football. I'm glad to see that the SEC will no longer be rewarded for being wimps. Though I still think the college football playoffs should include 6 teams, it doesn't make sense to me to have 4 spots with 5 power conferences. I know teams will always complain about being the first or second team out, but when it's an entire conference that's guaranteed to be left out, then it doesn't make sense to me.
Is it even possible? Kids got finals, Christmas break, which is what, two weeks? Your talking about stretching the season well into late January.