Ranking the Starters

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Ranking the Starters

Post by StevensTechU »

I find myself evaluating the position groups, looking for weak spots in the roster. As we see each year, success is generally determined by how much you can exploit your advantages (think Sean Mannion and Brandin Cooks carrying OSU to 9-4 without much help) and minimize your disadvantages (think Oregon going undefeated in the regular season in 2010 without any difference makers on the D-Line).

I've ranked them by order of who I would draft if I was starting my own team based on this roster, 1 guy for each starting spot (assumed a 3-3-5 on defense). I'm interested to see how anyone else would rank them.

1. Justin Herbert
2. Penei Sewell
3. Jordon Scott
4. Calvin Throckmorton
5. Jevon Holland
6. Troy Dye
7. Shane Lemieux
8. Thomas Graham
9. Isaac Slade-Mautatia
10. Deommodore Lenoir
11. CJ Verdell
12. Austin Faoliu
13. Juwan Johnson
14. Dallas Warmack
15. La'Mar Winston
16. Jake Hanson
17. Verone McKinley
18. Gus Cumberlander
19. Cam McCormick
20. Bryan Addison
21. Jaylon Redd
22. Nick Pickett
jimmy12
Senior

Re: Ranking the Starters

Post by jimmy12 »

I see 20 moving up this hear but understand that he’s unproven.

You dont like Pickett or Redd?
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Surprised to see ISM at 9, what are you seeing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I don’t disagree. We don’t know about Juwan Johnson. Redd will be better this year. Hopefully ISM is that good, because Niu is frustrating to watch at times.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Well, we both picked the same number 1.

If two of us were picking a 22 from the top 44 against each other it would be pretty dynamic. For instance if I had second choice after you picked Herbert and I went with Thomas Graham, Lenoir might become much more valuable.

On the other hand if i had first pick then and you took Sewell second, I wouldn't shuffle my board much. I still want to get Dye and Graham on my team because of the drop off behind them. Lots of good starters and depth on the offensive line and Throckmorton would be my first o-line choice anyway because of the versatility.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

So do you see us playing a base nickel coverage with 5 db’s?
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Well, we both picked the same number 1.

If two of us were picking a 22 from the top 44 against each other it would be pretty dynamic. For instance if I had second choice after you picked Herbert and I went with Thomas Graham, Lenoir might become much more valuable.

On the other hand if i had first pick then and you took Sewell second, I wouldn't shuffle my board much. I still want to get Dye and Graham on my team because of the drop off behind them. Lots of good starters and depth on the offensive line and Throckmorton would be my first o-line choice anyway because of the versatility.
I have a feeling that Lenoir will be better than Graham this year. Just a hunch. Graham came in had the playbook and more polish, but Lenoir seems stronger and faster even if he does get lost at times. For CBs there’s usually a huge jump by the time they’re upperclassmen, let’s hope we see that.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

lukeyrid13 wrote:So do you see us playing a base nickel coverage with 5 db’s?
I've read that 3-3-5 is likely to be the base/most deployed defense under Avalos, so that's what I assumed.
chapelhillduck wrote:Surprised to see ISM at 9, what are you seeing?
He was solid when healthy last year, and played really well in the spring game. I've heard him called the most instinctual ILB on the team (Dye remains an outside backer playing inside due to depth/talent issues).
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

StevensTechU wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:So do you see us playing a base nickel coverage with 5 db’s?
I've read that 3-3-5 is likely to be the base/most deployed defense under Avalos, so that's what I assumed.
chapelhillduck wrote:Surprised to see ISM at 9, what are you seeing?
He was solid when healthy last year, and played really well in the spring game. I've heard him called the most instinctual ILB on the team (Dye remains an outside backer playing inside due to depth/talent issues).
Wasn't the last 3-3-5 base defense in the PAC that of Rich Rod & Casteel in Zona?
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Surprised to see Verdell so high on that list.
Are you seeing improvements with his field vision?
Feels like he left a lot of yards on the table last season.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

northbeachsf wrote:Surprised to see Verdell so high on that list.
Are you seeing improvements with his field vision?
Feels like he left a lot of yards on the table last season.
I actually felt like ranking a thousand-yard freshman rusher as only middle-of-the-pack was pretty conservative.

I've said this before, but Royce Freeman didn't have very good vision, either. Verdell doesn't have his size, but he does have a better ability to take any run to the house. If we went back in time and I put Freeman anywhere near 11, I'd be laughed out of the forum, so I think a lot of it is perspective.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote:I find myself evaluating the position groups, looking for weak spots in the roster. As we see each year, success is generally determined by how much you can exploit your advantages (think Sean Mannion and Brandin Cooks carrying OSU to 9-4 without much help) and minimize your disadvantages (think Oregon going undefeated in the regular season in 2010 without any difference makers on the D-Line).

I've ranked them by order of who I would draft if I was starting my own team based on this roster, 1 guy for each starting spot (assumed a 3-3-5 on defense). I'm interested to see how anyone else would rank them.

1. Justin Herbert
2. Penei Sewell
3. Jordon Scott
4. Calvin Throckmorton
5. Jevon Holland
6. Troy Dye
7. Shane Lemieux
8. Thomas Graham
9. Isaac Slade-Mautatia
10. Deommodore Lenoir
11. CJ Verdell
12. Austin Faoliu
13. Juwan Johnson
14. Dallas Warmack
15. La'Mar Winston
16. Jake Hanson
17. Verone McKinley
18. Gus Cumberlander
19. Cam McCormick
20. Bryan Addison
21. Jaylon Redd
22. Nick Pickett
That's pretty high for Scott. Slade-Mautatia also seems a tad high. Otherwise seems reasonable to me.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Think I'd drop Jordon to 8 , bump everyone up by a spot and switch ISM and Lenoir .