Should Ohio St be in the playoffs?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Re: Should Ohio St be in the playoffs?

Post by Bud Lee »

I think it is bullshit that Penn State isn't in it! Giving a team like theirs the opportunity to play for a championship is the main reason I wanted a playoff system.

Huskies would of been left out in the BCS system I think as their schedule strength was ranked 127 out of 128 :o
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Bud Lee wrote:I think it is bullshit that Penn State isn't in it! Giving a team like theirs the opportunity to play for a championship is the main reason I wanted a playoff system.

Huskies would of been left out in the BCS system I think as their schedule strength was ranked 127 out of 128 :o
Yup, it's a bit messed up, looks like the playoff committee simply went with the 4best records and just one team per conference. What's messed up is I thought Penn St should have been in over Washington, but then the problem is two teams from one conference. Two solutions, for this year Ohio St should have been outside looking in I hope Clemson dumps them hard. Second is bring on the eight team playoff, it would be easier to justify number nine not getting in........ but then I suppose W Michigan would complain.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

8 team playoff

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
ATLpoloduck
High School Drop Out

Post by ATLpoloduck »

Tray Dub wrote:
fpsduck wrote:
UofDuck wrote:8 is a great number. All 5 P5 champs, 1 non-P5 and 2 at large. I'd limit it to 2 teams max from each conference. Spread the love.
I like this format. Of course, the traditionalists would probably hate it.
Yeah that would be an ideal way to do it. I have think player safety people might complain but whatever, it'd be great.
Personally, player safety is a huge issue I have for the argument against expansion. But if the NCAA follows the money path of the NFL, who play an excessive amount of games IMHO - expansion to 8 might be a real possibility. Especially if we continue to have Penn State v. Washington debacles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think the only way they get to 8 teams is to possibly reduce the regular season back to 11 games with them either taking that from the non-con or conference schedule. If it was me, I'd have it be either 3 non-cons with 8 conference games or 2 non-cons with 9 conference games.
ATLpoloduck
High School Drop Out

Post by ATLpoloduck »

greenyellow wrote:I think the only way they get to 8 teams is to possibly reduce the regular season back to 11 games with them either taking that from the non-con or conference schedule. If it was me, I'd have it be either 3 non-cons with 8 conference games or 2 non-cons with 9 conference games.
I considered that too, but I hesitate to believe they would cut a game from the regular season. I think the financial ramifications of schools losing a game from their schedules is too great. Not to mention their local economies would take a hit too by not hosting a home game etc. For your typical school, that won't ever really be in the playoff race, they take a big hit financially by not getting that extra game a year. I think there would be serious push back against the prospect of losing a game...

Obviously all speculation here, but I could just see the financial aspect being too big of a hindrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

I don't think there is a better team than them that deserved to be in over them but I also don't believe a team that didn't even play in their conference championship should be in, unfortunately a team with two losses such as Penn State or Michigan shouldn't be in either but we all know even a two loss Ohio State team in the same situation as Penn State would have got in. It's all about money, lets not kid ourselves, Ohio State has one of if not the biggest fan base in all of college football.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Get rid of the confrence title games, and go to a 16 team playoff.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

North Dakota St played 15 games in 2015, 13-2, as FCS champions. Bama played 13 games in2015, 12-1. The teams get lots of rest between the conference championship and the playoffs.