Post by UOducksTK1 »

UofDuck wrote:Yeah, loved Kannell.
Same, will miss him.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: ESPN doing massive layoffs

Post by pezsez1 »

Funny, because before the layoffs happened, my wife and I were talking about how the death of cable TV is being prolonged by cable's foothold in live sports.

Want to watch TV? Movies? Documentaries? You can get all that on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. You can even get HBO now without needing a cable subscription.

Live sports is literally the only thing keeping me subbed with Frontier -- and the Pac-12 Networks is a big reason for that. It's a small but tight grip that cable has on me. But the number of people who want the full complement of live sports is slipping, and so too is cable's business model. I'm not at all surprised the ESPN layoffs are happening. I love kicking back and watching First Take and Sportscenter -- and Sports Nation is always fun when I can catch it -- but I'd cut my cable in a heartbeat if there were some other way to watch the Ducks and Blazers.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

pezsez1 wrote:Funny, because before the layoffs happened, my wife and I were talking about how the death of cable TV is being prolonged by cable's foothold in live sports.

Want to watch TV? Movies? Documentaries? You can get all that on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. You can even get HBO now without needing a cable subscription.

Live sports is literally the only thing keeping me subbed with Frontier -- and the Pac-12 Networks is a big reason for that. It's a small but tight grip that cable has on me. But the number of people who want the full complement of live sports is slipping, and so too is cable's business model. I'm not at all surprised the ESPN layoffs are happening. I love kicking back and watching First Take and Sportscenter -- and Sports Nation is always fun when I can catch it -- but I'd cut my cable in a heartbeat if there were some other way to watch the Ducks and Blazers.
You do know you can get the Pac-12 network on SlingTV now? The only reason I haven't gone that route is I need a DVR option so I can record when I'm not home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

pezsez1 wrote:Funny, because before the layoffs happened, my wife and I were talking about how the death of cable TV is being prolonged by cable's foothold in live sports.

I didn't know people actually watched that show. I just assumed Stephen A. Smith had compromising pictures of an ESPN executive and that was the only reason he was still on the air.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

duckduckgoose wrote:You do know you can get the Pac-12 network on SlingTV now? The only reason I haven't gone that route is I need a DVR option so I can record when I'm not home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All I need is a DVR option for sports and shows and I'm hoping on SlingTV
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

I have sling TV and pay 25 bucks a month for literally every sports channel minus CSN but realistically I'm fine catching 4-5 blazer games a month on KGW/ESPN/TNT
Return Of the Quack!
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Duckattack7 wrote:I have sling TV and pay 25 bucks a month for literally every sports channel minus CSN but realistically I'm fine catching 4-5 blazer games a month on KGW/ESPN/TNT
Blazers won't be on KGW anymore, this was the last season of the contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Can't figure out how Stephen a keeps his job but others who are not annoying dbags get laid off.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

"This just in: All ESPN on screen personalities will be replaced, ASAP, with artificially matured clones of Lou Holtz, circa 2013."
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

woundedknees wrote:"This just in: All ESPN on screen personalities will be replaced, ASAP, with artificially matured clones of Lou Holtz, circa 2013."

god no!!!! you should be banned until september.....lol
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

duckfan96 wrote:Can't figure out how Stephen a keeps his job but others who are not annoying dbags get laid off.
Because he still drives ratings. People tune in for the outrage.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

thomas time wrote:ya I saw Neil on with Kenny Mayne tonight, I like them two. Mark May got the boot today for you who don't like him
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine