seattle mariners

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Re: seattle mariners

Post by pudgejeff »

RanDux wrote:
oregontrack wrote:i'm not even sure if we've had a mariners thread the last few seasons. that about sums up the very existence of our beloved, misbegotten franchise.

anyway, the m's are staying afloat this year (32-33, 1.5 back in the WC) despite a triple a starting rotation. we were expected to have felix, kuma, paxton, smyly, and miranda on staff, but smyly hasn't pitched at all this year, felix and kuma have been on the DL for quite some time, and paxton only recently got back from a month-long stay on the shelf. so basically we've been using Tacoma's pitching staff, to various degrees of success. sam gaviglio has been a nice find. a nod to ariel miranda, who's pitched very well since the pitching staff has gone to hell.

though taijuan walker would undoubtedly help out considering we've started, i think, 13 different guys already this year, offensively the trade with arizona has been great for us. jean segura leads the AL in BA, and we just inked him to a 5 year extension. mitch haniger doesn't have enough plate appearances to qualify for league leader board, but he's hitting .348. RARE is it for seattle to actually get quality back in a trade. good work.

m's took evan white, 1B/OF, out of kentucky with the #17 overall last night. supposed to be an elite level defender at 1B w/ above average offensive tools and who is expected to grow into his power.
Did the Mariners get both Segura and Haniger in the trade, or just Segura?
Both.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

one trade that the mariners looked to have got the better of
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Kyle is having a down year, but is still on pace for close to 90 rbi's
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

thomas time wrote:Kyle is having a down year, but is still on pace for close to 90 rbi's
Ya, offense is a lot better this year and he get big hits. His OPS is way down, but I expect he'll heat up this summer for a bit and get those numbers up and with the offense as good as it is and looking to get better if Segura and Haniger stay healthy he'll set a new RBI career high.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:roll: I will never, ever, ever root for anything or anyone from Seattle. EVER!!!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I'm a Sonics and Mariners fan.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The Mariners O has been on fire lately

As for the sonics. There is no sonics, and I'd bet money there won't be a sonics team again for a very long time. Seattle politicians have ensured that, but it makes me crack up that local sports radio continues to rant about the sonics and get people in Seattle alexcited about something that isn't happening.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

thomas time wrote:one trade that the mariners looked to have got the better of
Yeah that's a great trade for the Mariners.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

I'm not really a mariners fan, but their always on at night when at home and being a big baseball fan I watch them at night. Red sox and Cubs are my teams.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

nogerO wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:roll: I will never, ever, ever root for anything or anyone from Seattle. EVER!!!
I'm in the same boat with you nogerO! I despise any and everything connected with Seattle. I'm from So Cal (via Samoa) but I lived in Eugene for over 25 years. My wife and I relocated to Vancouver, WA 6 years ago to be accessible (via PDX) for our 3 daughters and their families. I do have family in the Seattle area, and when I go up to visit....there's nothing better than proudly wearing my Ducks and LA Rams gear in Fusky & Seachicken infested waters. I get snid comments or idiots flipping me " the bird" up there, but haters will be haters....wouldn't have it any other way! 8-)

LezGoDucks!
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest watching Griffey roam center field in the Kingdome, I never stood a chance of rooting for another team. Of course, the 90s and the early 00's were a lot of fun. Ever since... ugh.

The Seahawks are more or less the opposite, I grew up a Seahawks fan in the 90s simply because they were the closest team and they were on television a lot, but they were a special sort of awful throughout the 90s so it was never much fun. All my friends were bandwagon Cowboys or Niner fans. I was a teenager saying, "Yeah, enjoy your Super Bowls, I've got Cortez Kennedy..."

Anyway, being a Seattle sports fan living in Oregon can be done, but not even I recommend it. I'll admit I got misty eyed during Super Bowl 48 simply because I didn't think any of my teams would ever win a championship (also a Blazer fan, but not yet born in '77).
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Iffy trade by the Mariners today. They shipped out #2 organizational prospect Tyler O'Neill for SP Marco Gonzales, a former 1st round pick (St. Louis '13) who has battled injuries and uninspired starts in the majors. He's played in exactly two Major League games the last three years.

O'Neill has put up great numbers for Tacoma, but the PCL is also a notorious hitters league with a bunch of tiny ballparks which is why I'm not as furious as some about this trade. Head over to Lookout Landing if you want to see fireworks. Gonzales is under team control until 2023, which is nice, but...

Ideally, you give away one of your organization's top prospects, you want to get back something a lot better in return. Makes me wonder if the team could have packaged O'Neil with another highly touted prospect and perhaps come away with Sonny Gray, arguably the top starter on the trade block.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

yesterday they got reliever David Phelps from Marlins for four prospects, only one is highly thought of I think.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Trading O'Neill isn't the problem. It's Gonzales that's the problem.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Mariners get back to .500 with a 13 inning 6-5 win over Boston. Still 2.5 back of the last wild card, which is proving more and more difficult to catch up with each day: both current wild card holders (New York and Kansas City) are playing really great baseball right now. Boston is sliding in the East, they might lose their lead to New York shortly and enter the wild card mix.

Seattle's problem all year has been how streaky they are, it's amazing how they can lose 5 or 6 in a row and look dead in the water only to rebound by winning 5 or 6 in a row and get back into it. The .500 seal has been tough to crack, I think they were a game over a few weeks ago and promptly lost 4 or 5 straight.

I think they need Sonny Gray if they want to catch up with a wild card bid.