Blazers/NBA 2021-2022 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: Blazers/NBA 2021-2022 Thread

Post by Phalanx »

greenyellow wrote:Seems they may have overpaid a bit to keep him around.
This might be a fake. It's not being reported anywhere. I suspect we won't hear about Nurkic until after they make whatever other free agent moves/ trades happen. As I said back in February when they shut him down, it seems like they probably have some kind of understanding, or he wouldn't have been happy about being taken out in a free agent year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Seems they may have overpaid a bit to keep him around.
This might be a fake. It's not being reported anywhere. I suspect we won't hear about Nurkic until after they make whatever other free agent moves/ trades happen. As I said back in February when they shut him down, it seems like they probably have some kind of understanding, or he wouldn't have been happy about being taken out in a free agent year.
Sure looks like it as there's no other reports of a Nurk deal. Only one confirmed is GP2 coming to Portland. With so many guards on the roster and Nurk not announced, I wouldn't be shocked if they'll be taking part in some trades. Sound like Portland is involved as a facilitator for any KD deal and possibly with Philly to potentially get Thybulle.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

CBS Sports has us as the fourth-most likely landing spot for KD. I doubt we get him, but the next few days/weeks will be interesting. The NBA offseason is grade-A drama.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Payton is signed to basically do exactly what he did for the Warriors, cover for the defensive inadequacies of the starting point guard. They needed a back up point guard, so it isn't a horrible signing. Still wondering what they are going to do about the lack of legitimate post players.

Blazers are spending a lot of money, not that it is a novel situation for them, but I still don't see a contender, unless one of the young guys just blows up this year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Blazers are definitely making some trades and sequencing them in a certain order, which is why certain known deals haven't been officially announced. Here's one proposed trade idea that makes some sense even it does help another conference team get better.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Cronin looks to be setting in for a big trade centered around Hart and Nurk (which seems to imply going after Ayton since the $ would line up). Hart has 1 year left on his deal so it seems likely that he's gone with Ant playing next to Dame. I believe the Payton signing Hard-Caps the team so a trade is the only way they can truly bolster the roster now.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:Cronin looks to be setting in for a big trade centered around Hart and Nurk (which seems to imply going after Ayton since the $ would line up). Hart has 1 year left on his deal so it seems likely that he's gone with Ant playing next to Dame. I believe the Payton signing Hard-Caps the team so a trade is the only way they can truly bolster the roster now.
Why do you think Nurk is involved in the hypothetical trade? That would make no sense to me, unless the trade was to a specific team he wanted to go to, or unless he was getting overpaid in the sign-and-trade. Heck, everyone else is.

I hate to lose Hart, but he is a very tradeable asset, and I don't think the Blazers will be able to re-sign him anyway. They also just picked up yet another guy at his position on a multi-year deal, so not a good sign for him sticking around.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Woj just posted Nurk is signing for 4 years $70 million. Luxury tax schmuxury tax, I always say.

If I had to guess, I'd say this was pretty much the roster. There is room for one more guy on the cheap - seems fairly obvious it will need to be a post player. My secret hope is they can get Eubanks for cheap and then sign another guy with the BAE and sign Jabari Walker to a two-way deal. Then later, they can trade Hart or whoever and sign Walker to the roster.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx wrote:Woj just posted Nurk is signing for 4 years $70 million. Luxury tax schmuxury tax, I always say.

If I had to guess, I'd say this was pretty much the roster. There is room for one more guy on the cheap - seems fairly obvious it will need to be a post player. My secret hope is they can get Eubanks for cheap and then sign another guy with the BAE and sign Jabari Walker to a two-way deal. Then later, they can trade Hart or whoever and sign Walker to the roster.
I think I saw that Walker may be signed to the remainder of the MLE that they didn't use on Payton, which is about $2 million. Also, it looks like Eubanks is returning on a one-year deal.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Cronin looks to be setting in for a big trade centered around Hart and Nurk (which seems to imply going after Ayton since the $ would line up). Hart has 1 year left on his deal so it seems likely that he's gone with Ant playing next to Dame. I believe the Payton signing Hard-Caps the team so a trade is the only way they can truly bolster the roster now.
Why do you think Nurk is involved in the hypothetical trade? That would make no sense to me, unless the trade was to a specific team he wanted to go to, or unless he was getting overpaid in the sign-and-trade. Heck, everyone else is.

I hate to lose Hart, but he is a very tradeable asset, and I don't think the Blazers will be able to re-sign him anyway. They also just picked up yet another guy at his position on a multi-year deal, so not a good sign for him sticking around.
Nurk and Hart together bring back a Max contract, such as what Ayton is seeking. Everything is on hold until the KD domino falls right now.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

greenyellow wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Woj just posted Nurk is signing for 4 years $70 million. Luxury tax schmuxury tax, I always say.

I think I saw that Walker may be signed to the remainder of the MLE that they didn't use on Payton, which is about $2 million. Also, it looks like Eubanks is returning on a one-year deal.
Well, Walker is not signed yet, although it would be easy to do so. That tells me they are holding the roster spot and reserving the option to 2-way him. They also don't appear to have renounced Bledsoe yet (or whatever it's called in basketball). So maybe they are still keeping options open for a big deal. It would have to happen soon though. Bledsoe's full salary is guaranteed in a few days.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

Well, Walker is not signed yet, although it would be easy to do so. That tells me they are holding the roster spot and reserving the option to 2-way him. They also don't appear to have renounced Bledsoe yet (or whatever it's called in basketball). So maybe they are still keeping options open for a big deal. It would have to happen soon though. Bledsoe's full salary is guaranteed in a few days.
Bledsoe, Hart, Little, and Keon Johnson are their remaining trade chips that I could easily see them use to get a starting caliber SF. They still have a $6 million TPE they could use to add someone that a team is looking to dump off while making another deal.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Wait...so now Lillard is the one who won't sign the ridiculous, club-hamstringing extension. Apparently, hard-capping the team with player acquisitions, including trading away draft picks for the exact player he requested wasn't enough for him; he objects to using #7 on a rookie instead of more temporary players, and he's using not signing as leverage until they do what he wants. Hilarious. Whatever, please keep holding out, Dame. Fight the powers, dude. :lol:

https://sports.yahoo.com/lillard-camp-k ... 21726.html
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Portland need more of the pj tucker and jae crowder type players around dame. The type of players that shine and are dogs in the post-season. Gp2 looks like that type of player while, matisse looked to be an all world defender in the reg season but was a no show in the post season. We need players who will fight every min of thenpost season and not have liabilities resulting in only being able to play in certain scenarios. I like the gp2 move over trying to pay more and go for matisse.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Phalanx wrote:
I'm really glad it looks like they are keeping Sharpe, and they drafted the project post player as I suspected they would. I don't get the trade of pick 46 for what looks like a worse pick in two years...that makes me think it was Portland's idea to ditch the pick. I've never seen a present pick going for a worse future pick before, and I keep hoping there was more to that trade than is being reported. Nobody asked about it in the presser.
Sounds like there was a bit more to that trade with Denver than was reported. The pick the Blazers get in 2024 is the better of Charlotte's or Minnesota's. So we'll see if that ends up being better than #46.

Also, as I expected, Bledsoe will be waived, as the Blazers were never able to find anyone besides some Portland media and fans who thought he was a tradeable asset.