Re: Portland Trail Blazers Thread

Post by Zyme »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Blazers social media team is killing it today:
:lol:
That was so much fun yesterday.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Zyme wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Blazers social media team is killing it today:
That was so much fun yesterday.
The best part is that Cash Considerations is already a better asset than Leonard and Collins.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Festus Ezeli, we hardly knew ye. You didn't even participate in enough practices (1) for me to learn how to spell your name correctly.

Thurston's Thought for the Weekend: Keep an eye on Utah. They have a boatload of cash available to spend and need shooters in the worst way. As the #5 seed this past season and the Clippers looking like they're about to take a plunge, Utah has legitimate playoff homecourt dreams. If they strike out on their free agent targets (JJ Reddick, others) the old fashion Desperation + Cash formula could potentially work out in Portland's favor. They're so far under the cap they could absorb Allen Crabbe's remaining three years and give us virtually nothing in return. That's a win for both sides.

EDIT: I came back to say that the above obviously comes with the caveat of Hayward resigning and keeping the Jazz viable, but the Pacers just traded Paul George to the Thunder so I'm less sold on Utah being a homecourt team next year regardless of what they do.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Apparently, Myers Leonard's contract held up the Carmelo Anthony trade to Houston:

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2017/7/14 ... ork-knicks

Hard to believe that Olshey was willing to part with Harkless and take on Ryan Anderson's $60 million contract over three years, given the cap situation the Blazers are already in. Looks like his earlier stupidity in signing Leonard actually saved him from more stupidity. One wonders if he finally understands what an historically bad summer he had last year. Nobody wants any part of any of the contracts he made.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:Apparently, Myers Leonard's contract held up the Carmelo Anthony trade to Houston:

Hard to believe that Olshey was willing to part with Harkless and take on Ryan Anderson's $60 million contract over three years, given the cap situation the Blazers are already in. Looks like his earlier stupidity in signing Leonard actually saved him from more stupidity. One wonders if he finally understands what an historically bad summer he had last year. Nobody wants any part of any of the contracts he made.
Lulz, are you still harping on that? Have you seen some of the contracts this year? I don't see you talking about how much Lillard and McCollum make compared to other stars now. I guess you got it in while you could though.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pudgejeff wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Apparently, Myers Leonard's contract held up the Carmelo Anthony trade to Houston:

Lulz, are you still harping on that? Have you seen some of the contracts this year? I don't see you talking about how much Lillard and McCollum make compared to other stars now. I guess you got it in while you could though.
The link I posted is from this morning, so I guess I'm not sure what you think I'm 'still harping on'. Lillard and McCollum are both overpaid and weighing down the team's ability to win, but that isn't what this news piece is about. It's about how the Blazers couldn't even dump Leonard's contract in the context of taking back a $60 million albatross. Pretty indicative of how stuck the Blazers are right now with this roster and this luxury tax situation. Hopefully Olshey can find a trade partner at some point. Probably he will have to 'showcase' some players to demonstrate more value than they have shown to date.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:

The link I posted is from this morning, so I guess I'm not sure what you think I'm 'still harping on'. Lillard and McCollum are both overpaid and weighing down the team's ability to win, but that isn't what this news piece is about. It's about how the Blazers couldn't even dump Leonard's contract in the context of taking back a $60 million albatross. Pretty indicative of how stuck the Blazers are right now with this roster and this luxury tax situation. Hopefully Olshey can find a trade partner at some point. Probably he will have to 'showcase' some players to demonstrate more value than they have shown to date.
Not sure if you read the article or not, but none of it is factual or even relying on sources. It is all one guy guessing at it what might have happened and he also lists two other reasons to what may have happened and then said he doesn't even know if any of them are correct. Not surprised you latched onto it though
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pudgejeff wrote:
Not sure if you read the article or not, but none of it is factual or even relying on sources. It is all one guy guessing at it what might have happened and he also lists two other reasons to what may have happened and then said he doesn't even know if any of them are correct. Not surprised you latched onto it though
The source has been rather well-circulated, and the author assumes you have seen it if you are paying attention. It comes from this tweet, from the same guy who has been reporting on this all along:

https://twitter.com/JSports_ent/status/ ... 5792522240

Not that his word is gospel, but he does appear to have inside info with the Knicks organization.

Others who 'latched onto it' include:

http://www.sbnation1560.com/carmelo-ant ... j-reports/

https://ripcityproject.com/2017/07/13/n ... s-leonard/

http://sport.news.keol.hu/live/carmelo- ... s-contract
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
The source has been rather well-circulated, and the author assumes you have seen it if you are paying attention. It comes from this tweet, from the same guy who has been reporting on this all along:

https://twitter.com/JSports_ent/status/ ... 5792522240

Not that his word is gospel, but he does appear to have inside info with the Knicks organization.

Others who 'latched onto it' include:

http://www.sbnation1560.com/carmelo-ant ... j-reports/

https://ripcityproject.com/2017/07/13/n ... s-leonard/

http://sport.news.keol.hu/live/carmelo- ... s-contract
None of the latched on, they all used the title as click bait and the blazer one even questions the validity of the Twitter accounts rumors. They all state that is on hold while the Knicks try to pitch him.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pudgejeff wrote:
None of the latched on, they all used the title as click bait and the blazer one even questions the validity of the Twitter accounts rumors. They all state that is on hold while the Knicks try to pitch him.

Dude, this rumor is being discussed on many, many Blazer-related blogs. It is far from just me. You can believe it or not. It doesn't matter, because Leonard. Hasn't. Been. Traded. Nobody wants the dude. Olshey is the only one willing to pay him 8 figures to sit at the end of the bench. Here's a quote from the 'blazer one' that you said questioned the validity of the rumor:

"Is Meyers’ play that bad? Getting into the specifics, it’s not surprising no one wants Meyers. Once a budding bench piece, he’s struggled to justify being on the court. His shooting has dropped, and that’s supposed to be his NBA calling card."

I realize you could go on for pages about this, but I don't have that kind of patience.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:

Dude, this rumor is being discussed on many, many Blazer-related blogs. It is far from just me. You can believe it or not. It doesn't matter, because Leonard. Hasn't. Been. Traded. Nobody wants the dude. Olshey is the only one willing to pay him 8 figures to sit at the end of the bench. Here's a quote from the 'blazer one' that you said questioned the validity of the rumor:

"Is Meyers’ play that bad? Getting into the specifics, it’s not surprising no one wants Meyers. Once a budding bench piece, he’s struggled to justify being on the court. His shooting has dropped, and that’s supposed to be his NBA calling card."

I realize you could go on for pages about this, but I don't have that kind of patience.
Again, there has been zero talk about Meyers being shopped or anyone not wanting him. This is just supposition from the blog, without any actual facts. Sorry that I don't base what I take for true on that. You enjoy though.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Relatively speaking, the Meyers contract is not horrible. Not good but not horrible. The reason why it would be hard to move is the number of years left (2 after this year). With a huge free agency class next year teams are reluctant to take on salary for that reason. Also doesnt help that the player got caught in a quick changing landscape
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

And that the player is utterly useless.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

The Leonard contract is a lot like Evan Turner's in that Olshey wasn't bidding against anyone else and doubled the amount each player could hope to get elsewhere. Leonard could have been had for $5 mil/year. I realize the obvious joke is "or just not re-sign him at all", but I digress. Olshey moved on Turner so quickly I don't know if any other concrete offers were made public but I have to imagine Turner's agent was hoping for $10 mil/year (he made less than $4 with Boston) and did a little dance after taking Olshey's call.