Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Re: Portland Trail Blazers Thread

Post by nogerO »

Phenom wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
Phenom wrote:
oregontrack wrote:i was actually thinking the opposite, dame and 3J were the only blazers to show up and we had a tie game in the 4th quarter. give me a game in portland w/ nurkic and pray that somebody else actually hits a shot, and who knows.

game one was a great example as to why we need to focus on a legitimate 4 in the draft.
Seriously. Mo, Aminu, and Vonleh were bad. ET was solid, I thought.
It was similar to last years 2nd rd. match-up, where the Blazers were competitive until the 4th quarter. The backcourt scoring was impressive, but obviously can't be counted on to do that. If Nurkic is healthy, by all means get him on the court Wednesday, if not maybe he can be a huge plus at home for game 3. With or without Nurkic, Crabbe needs to step up and supply double digit points.
Forgot Crabbe, he was bad too. Missing open shots and playing bad defense.
Seriously? One bad game and youre going to throw Crabbe in a dumpster???
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

oregontrack wrote:for the record if this thread (and The Other Guys forum) wasn't mostly a graveyard i wouldn't have taken the time. i get bored at work, but i don't mean to distract others if anything was actually going on here.

JOIN THE DISCUSSION YOUNG MAN. pick a side and pick up a sword.
The worst thing the blazers could have done is let them walk for nothing. You can live with "over paying" but in the open market, I think those deals are fair to what they would have received. If you feel you can build around them (I dont, you have to trade one of them) then you lock them up and then figure it out
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

phalanx brought up a good point about nurkic's looming extension, but i feel we're going to be seeing a lot of deals between now and then. (for example) a popular one i've seen brought up a few times has been leonard + 15 + 20 for sac-town's #10. we'd shave leonard's $10/yr salary from the books and jump a little in the draft. win/win. of course that alone won't get us where we need to be, but other deals can be made. the best thing about some of these contracts as time marches on is that they become more valuable the closer they get to expiring. crabbe and turner's deals may not be popular right now, but as the cap continues to expand and they get closer to expiring they're going to be hot trade commodities.

i'm mostly convinced we could unload crabbe on brooklyn right now if we wanted. if start next season shaky, i wouldn't be surprised if we unloaded him to the nets prior to the deadline in exchange for a second rounder or something. they can afford the hit, we'd be looking to free up money for nurkic, they've already expressed interest in him in the past.

we... may be stuck with evan turner. we bid against ourselves and handed him something nobody else would have touched.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

oregontrack wrote:phalanx brought up a good point about nurkic's looming extension, but i feel we're going to be seeing a lot of deals between now and then. (for example) a popular one i've seen brought up a few times has been leonard + 15 + 20 for sac-town's #10. we'd shave leonard's $10/yr salary from the books and jump a little in the draft. win/win. of course that alone won't get us where we need to be, but other deals can be made. the best thing about some of these contracts as time marches on is that they become more valuable the closer they get to expiring. crabbe and turner's deals may not be popular right now, but as the cap continues to expand and they get closer to expiring they're going to be hot trade commodities.

i'm mostly convinced we could unload crabbe on brooklyn right now if we wanted. if start next season shaky, i wouldn't be surprised if we unloaded him to the nets prior to the deadline in exchange for a second rounder or something. they can afford the hit, we'd be looking to free up money for nurkic, they've already expressed interest in him in the past.

we... may be stuck with evan turner. we bid against ourselves and handed him something nobody else would have touched.

:lol:

I think we are done here.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:
oregontrack wrote:phalanx brought up a good point about nurkic's looming extension, but i feel we're going to be seeing a lot of deals between now and then. (for example) a popular one i've seen brought up a few times has been leonard + 15 + 20 for sac-town's #10. we'd shave leonard's $10/yr salary from the books and jump a little in the draft. win/win. of course that alone won't get us where we need to be, but other deals can be made. the best thing about some of these contracts as time marches on is that they become more valuable the closer they get to expiring. crabbe and turner's deals may not be popular right now, but as the cap continues to expand and they get closer to expiring they're going to be hot trade commodities.

Is that due to your inability to look at any of this rationally?
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pudgejeff wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

I think it has more to do with watching our $19 million man come off the bench and average 5 points per game while the blazers get swept in the playoffs the way I knew they would all season, and then reading someone who thinks other teams just can't wait to trade us a pick for him. There's only so much baloney I can stand to read in one conversation. So it's probably better if I step away. Cheers.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

I think it has more to do with watching our $19 million man come off the bench and average 5 points per game while the blazers get swept in the playoffs the way I knew they would all season, and then reading someone who thinks other teams just can't wait to trade us a pick for him. There's only so much baloney I can stand to read in one conversation. So it's probably better if I step away. Cheers.
Later bro!
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

re: contracts gaining value as they near their expiration, that wasn't meant to be at all controversial. teams with cap problems love dealing for expiring contracts to relieve cap issues. that's all i meant by "these" contracts (crabbe, turner, etc) gaining in value the closer they get to their expiration.

re: trading away crabbe in particular, that was mostly a jab at the nets, a dumb franchise. nothing for you to stomp your foot and go home over. as i said, the nets often do dumb things (a non-playoff nets team trading a top 10 pick for an unrestricted gerald wallace? mortgaging their future to sign the ancient paul pierce, kevin garnett, and jason terry to "win a championship"?) and it does stand a reason that if the nets were once willing to give allan crabbe $75 mil, they might be willing to pay him $56, no? there was some scuttlebutt of philly being interested in crabbe last year near the deadline before they traded away nerlens noel, in this day and age of a $100 mil cap i think you're underestimating what certain teams might do.

in any regard, it may be best for you to take a breather. it sounds like you're taking some of this stuff faaaaar too personally. check back any time, i like when people stick to their guns. peace.

re: game three, it's amazing how much better a hobbled nurkic is than every other big man we have. he was a step slow (and in pain the whole time, he revealed postgame) and still did a number on the boards -- and defensively -- in limited minutes. i'm glad they're shutting him down, though.

lillard and 3J take some poor shots but man is it hard to put too much of the blame on them. what else are they going to do? evan turner was okay (i thought) until the 4th quarter, when he turned exceptionally bad. crabbe was bad, moe harkless totally no-showed. vonleh continues to let javale mcgee do whatever he wants. aminu is woefully ill-prepared to go against draymond.

i think we probably win that game w/ a healthy nurkic. w/o nurk, we aren't the 8th seed in the west, we were that team in february closer to a top 5 pick than the playoffs.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

oregontrack wrote:re: contracts gaining value as they near their expiration, that wasn't meant to be at all controversial. teams with cap problems love dealing for expiring contracts to relieve cap issues. that's all i meant by "these" contracts (crabbe, turner, etc) gaining in value the closer they get to their expiration.
So you have to wait two more seasons for these contracts to be "valuable" which is two more seasons of no cap flexibility and the only way to make moves is to mortgage the future and send 1st round picks with guys like Meyers Leonard to avoid the cap threshold. That's two seasons of meddling as a first round exit team with picks in the 15-20 range.

Olshey screwed this teams next 3-5 years with this past offseason. I don't mind the Turner deal as he is a valuable 6th man who actually tries to play D. I think they erred by paying both Crabbe and Harkless. It should have been one or the other and I would have chosen Harkless, even before the NJ offer to Crabbe. As for Meyers Leonard, there is no defending that. They were bidding against themselves and gave him $10M a year for 4 years. Even with how flush the NBA is with cash right now, that is up there on the list of awful contracts.

If Portland wants to make any moves the next few years, they're going to have to part with someone that a trade partner covets or get lucky and have someone fall into their laps a la Nurkic.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/21/pau ... igher-max/

i thought this (two month old) article was relevant again because of the recent discussion here on contracts. under the new cba and cap projections, paul george is looking at a contract north of $200 mil if he makes the all nba team this year. some of those same all nba qualifications are what forced lillard's contract up above a normal max.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

nogerO wrote:
Phenom wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
Phenom wrote:
oregontrack wrote:i was actually thinking the opposite, dame and 3J were the only blazers to show up and we had a tie game in the 4th quarter. give me a game in portland w/ nurkic and pray that somebody else actually hits a shot, and who knows.

game one was a great example as to why we need to focus on a legitimate 4 in the draft.
Seriously. Mo, Aminu, and Vonleh were bad. ET was solid, I thought.
It was similar to last years 2nd rd. match-up, where the Blazers were competitive until the 4th quarter. The backcourt scoring was impressive, but obviously can't be counted on to do that. If Nurkic is healthy, by all means get him on the court Wednesday, if not maybe he can be a huge plus at home for game 3. With or without Nurkic, Crabbe needs to step up and supply double digit points.
Forgot Crabbe, he was bad too. Missing open shots and playing bad defense.
Seriously? One bad game and youre going to throw Crabbe in a dumpster???
The post was about one game...but yeah, he's overpaid.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

this game has been great.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Ugly series. Looking forward to the draft.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I actually think the blazers have pretty good potential moving forward; if they can make one or two more moves.

-We could unload Leonard +26 for a second and clear cap space

-Trade Crabbe and 15 to the king's for 8 and afflalo or McLemore or another similar bench player. They're the least appealing FA destination so they'll take an overpaid Crabbe versus aimlessly fishing for a free agent each year.

-Takr Frank N or markanen at 8, and hope for maybe Justin Jackson at 20.

They'd drop about 25 mil in cap, get younger and not lose depth while increasing their future potential. The blazers are already the youngest team in the league so there's no need to rush, especially when the Cavs and warriors are so far ahead of us.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I actually think the blazers have pretty good potential moving forward; if they can make one or two more moves.

-We could unload Leonard +26 for a second and clear cap space

-Trade Crabbe and 15 to the king's for 8 and afflalo or McLemore or another similar bench player. They're the least appealing FA destination so they'll take an overpaid Crabbe versus aimlessly fishing for a free agent each year.

-Takr Frank N or markanen at 8, and hope for maybe Justin Jackson at 20.

They'd drop about 25 mil in cap, get younger and not lose depth while increasing their future potential. The blazers are already the youngest team in the league so there's no need to rush, especially when the Cavs and warriors are so far ahead of us.