Gotta give it up for Matt Rhule

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Gotta give it up for Matt Rhule

Post by Groundswell »

So back when we were doing the coaching search, I really wanted Matt Rhule. All the names being thrown out, he was my guy. Didn't know much about him. Just liked what he was doing at Temple. Liked the way Temple played. Didn't know much about Taggart at the time either. So when I start this thread, just know that I'm totally down with Taggart and the recent Artis news has not got me wishing we had a different coach. I just want to give Rhule a shout out. What he's done at Baylor in 2 months is really unbelievable. He's gotten 25 commits. 25. In two months. At Baylor. During one of the worst scandals you could imagine. Baylor had one, single recruit when he showed up. One. Plus he just beat the Ducks out for a major game changing recruit. I say, my hat's off to you Rhule. I have no idea why you accepted that dumpster fire down in Baylor, but I'm willing to bet you're going to be a success.
Alan
Senior

Re: Gotta give it up for Matt Rhule

Post by Alan »

Baylor' situation is going to get much, much worse before it gets better. I would hope these kids committing are getting sound advice. My thoughts are no restrictions to transfers after the hammer falls.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Alan wrote:Baylor' situation is going to get much, much worse before it gets better. I would hope these kids committing are getting sound advice. My thoughts are no restrictions to transfers after the hammer falls.
Whenever there's major sanctions (especially when bowl bans are in play), the NCAA tends to let some players transfer, but only those who likely won't get to go to another bowl game in their remaining time at the university.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Am I right in thinking that I read he was our first choice, and was actually offered the job only to turn it down? If so, I can understand why we wanted him.
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

Tray Dub wrote:Am I right in thinking that I read he was our first choice, and was actually offered the job only to turn it down? If so, I can understand why we wanted him.
Rhule was not our first choice, and I don't think we ever offered him a job like the media said a billion times during the search. They just loved the whole "He turned Oregon down" viewpoint of the story. The AD threw a ton of smokescreens at the media during that search and that specific story was one they gobbled right up. That coaching search was so fun to watch from the perspective of the mainstream sports media, because they had no freaking clue what was going on.

In reality, we wanted Chip, but that didn't work, so we went with Taggart instead...and that's not my opinion on what happened.
TheHypeIsReal
One Star Recruit

Post by TheHypeIsReal »

DuckedOut wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:Am I right in thinking that I read he was our first choice, and was actually offered the job only to turn it down? If so, I can understand why we wanted him.
Rhule was not our first choice, and I don't think we ever offered him a job like the media said a billion times during the search. They just loved the whole "He turned Oregon down" viewpoint of the story. The AD threw a ton of smokescreens at the media during that search and that specific story was one they gobbled right up. That coaching search was so fun to watch from the perspective of the mainstream sports media, because they had no freaking clue what was going on.

In reality, we wanted Chip, but that didn't work, so we went with Taggart instead...and that's not my opinion on what happened.
Even if we did want him, there is no way we would have shelled out the kind of money Baylor did.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

DuckedOut wrote:

So, wait. After Chip said no, at the last minute, Taggart was our first choice? Basically, I'm asking if once we knew Chip was out, we hired Taggart over Rhule and Harsin and whomever else we interviewed. I can't remember the timeline. Trying to remember if we were still courting Chip when Rhule decided to go to Baylor.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Rhule is whatever.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

DuckedOut wrote:

It was Prehm who started the "Rhule turned Oregon down" narrative from the get go.

He failed to mention any of this neat info, which would probably clue someone inteligent to think that it was something more than "it's easier to recruit at Baylor than Oregon" like Prehm wrote in his article.
Baylor Source wrote:Baylor hired Mack Rhoades from Missouri to be Athletic Director. Rhoades was the AD at Houston that hired Tom Herman. While at Houston, Rhoades formed a bond with Temple HC Matt Rhule. While AD at Missouri Rhoades flew to New Jersey and interviewed Rhule for the Tigers opening before hiring Barry Odom to fill the position. At Baylor, Rhoades persuaded Rhule to accept an offer from the Bears over Phil Knight and Oregon.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

5$ wrote:
DuckedOut wrote:

It was Prehm who started the "Rhule turned Oregon down" narrative from the get go.

He failed to mention any of this neat info, which would probably clue someone inteligent to think that it was something more than "it's easier to recruit at Baylor than Oregon" like Prehm wrote in his article.
Baylor Source wrote:Baylor hired Mack Rhoades from Missouri to be Athletic Director. Rhoades was the AD at Houston that hired Tom Herman. While at Houston, Rhoades formed abond with Temple HC Matt Rhule. While AD at Missouri Rhoades flew to New Jersey and interviewed Rhule for the Tigers opening before hiring Barry Odom to fill the position. At Baylor, Rhoades persuaded Rhule to accept an offer from the Bears over Phil Knight and Oregon.
Taggert is a much better fit. Our talent and prior offensive scheme is much more aligned with T's offensive scheme. Rhule is a defense scheme first coach and most of that is based upon Snow. Leavitt and the staff here are a much better for what is needed. That said, Rhule would have been a great second choice. However, WT is lighting everyone on fire.I watched several games online to eval' his play calling. Frankly he just didn't have $hit for talent or a good DC. Enjoy all because he's going to be the real deal!
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

greenyellow wrote:
Alan wrote:Baylor' situation is going to get much, much worse before it gets better. I would hope these kids committing are getting sound advice. My thoughts are no restrictions to transfers after the hammer falls.
Whenever there's major sanctions (especially when bowl bans are in play), the NCAA tends to let some players transfer, but only those who likely won't get to go to another bowl game in their remaining time at the university.
The NCAA won't get involved. If you're Baylor, I think you're more concerned with Title IX related issues, assuming Drumpf's troll DeVos even knows what that is.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

srsmiley007 wrote:
5$ wrote:
DuckedOut wrote:

Baylor Source wrote:Baylor hired Mack Rhoades from Missouri to be Athletic Director. Rhoades was the AD at Houston that hired Tom Herman. While at Houston, Rhoades formed abond with Temple HC Matt Rhule. While AD at Missouri Rhoades flew to New Jersey and interviewed Rhule for the Tigers opening before hiring Barry Odom to fill the position. At Baylor, Rhoades persuaded Rhule to accept an offer from the Bears over Phil Knight and Oregon.
Taggert is a much better fit. Our talent and prior offensive scheme is much more aligned with T's offensive scheme. Rhule is a defense scheme first coach and most of that is based upon Snow. Leavitt and the staff here are a much better for what is needed. That said, Rhule would have been a great second choice. However, WT is lighting everyone on fire.I watched several games online to eval' his play calling. Frankly he just didn't have $hit for talent or a good DC. Enjoy all because he's going to be the real deal!
I was talking about Prehm starting the stupid rumor of Rhule turning Oregon down because of recruiting difficulties, I'm not commenting on how I am happy we ended up with Taggart over Rhule.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Rhule would not have succeeded at UO. Guy just had flop written all over him, I'm glad we didn't bring him in.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

I might add that I had no idea that Prehm was responsible for the Rhule turned down Oregon rumors. I was reading those all over the web. No idea Matt was the origin source. I read, in many different places, that we offered Rhule and he said no. In fact, Matt is largely so slow on the take that I'm almost positive I read the Rhule said no narrative before Matt even commented. Hell, Matt was still trying to claim Helf wasn't getting fired when the search was already long underway. We were interviewing people and Matt was still saying Helf was coming back. Doesn't really matter now anyways, but I'm more than shocked to learn Matt was the first to report this. I am more than happy to accept that we never offered the job to Rhule. But I'm still skeptical that Matt made that story up. I'd bet he read it somewhere else too.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

buckmarkduck wrote:Rhule would not have succeeded at UO. Guy just had flop written all over him, I'm glad we didn't bring him in.
Come on now. He's a good coach. He won't flop anywhere. The recruiting class he managed at Baylor under the circumstances is one of the best short-term recruiting jobs I've ever seen. He might not have been the best fit for Oregon. He might not be able to save that hell at Baylor. But he's always going to be a top-notch college head coach.

PS. I must admit, though, that taking the Baylor job is about enough for me to question any man's sanity. So you may very well be right.