Interesting take

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Interesting take

Post by nogerO »

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Interesting take

Post by Phenom »

Unfortunately, faith and hypocrisy go hand-in-hand too often.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Phenom wrote:Unfortunately, faith and hypocrisy go hand-in-hand too often.
Gonna grab my popcorn and wait for the replies to this comment.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Duck24 wrote:
Phenom wrote:Unfortunately, faith and hypocrisy go hand-in-hand too often.
Gonna grab my popcorn and wait for the replies to this comment.
I actually think it's a legitimate view, in spite of the fact that I consider myself a 'man of faith". There are many in this world who profess a standard that fails to be reflected in their personal actions and behavior.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Any sort of belief system goes hand in hand with hypocrisy. It's human nature.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

We've tolerated a society where we don't tell people 'No' and instead allow their b.s. You know everyone eats well as it seems must people are full of sh... I remember back when I heard they wanted to give Glory to God through sports I knew nothing good could come of it and sadly it wasn't simple recruiting violations but something much worse.

That we haven't seen hard penalties levied against a few schools in particular seems to just underscore the pervasiveness of b.s.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

There is some small precedent set by the University of San Francisco years ago. After being found guilty of violating NCAA rules, which would have been minor compared to this, they dropped the basketball program for a number of years. The head of the school said,"If we can't play by the rules, we won't play at all." Of course that was years ago. Have the allegations been proven? If so, they should drop the football program. It's not like this is a one time thing with Baylor. This goes back to 2012, coaches overlooking it and covering up. Players involved should be charged and others allowed to transfer. Why would you pay coaches while they are looking for other jobs? Knowing this kind of behavior was going on and doing nothing about it should negate any contracts. I also consider myself a man of faith, but, I wouldn't claim that any of the major so-called schools of faith, like Baylor, SMU, TCU, Notre Dame, etc. represent it. Most of them are so far removed from the faith that they espouse, that football is more important than faith. OK Baylor, prove me wrong. Obviously, my opinion,
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Baylor covered up murders back in the early 2000's. That place is pure evil.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Baylor covered up murders back in the early 2000's. That place is pure evil.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

duck58 wrote:There is some small precedent set by the University of San Francisco years ago. After being found guilty of violating NCAA rules, which would have been minor compared to this, they dropped the basketball program for a number of years. The head of the school said,"If we can't play by the rules, we won't play at all." Of course that was years ago. Have the allegations been proven? If so, they should drop the football program. It's not like this is a one time thing with Baylor. This goes back to 2012, coaches overlooking it and covering up. Players involved should be charged and others allowed to transfer. Why would you pay coaches while they are looking for other jobs? Knowing this kind of behavior was going on and doing nothing about it should negate any contracts. I also consider myself a man of faith, but, I wouldn't claim that any of the major so-called schools of faith, like Baylor, SMU, TCU, Notre Dame, etc. represent it. Most of them are so far removed from the faith that they espouse, that football is more important than faith. OK Baylor, prove me wrong. Obviously, my opinion,
I believe that USF dropped their basketball program in the late 50's or early 60's. Back in a time where money wasn't an all consuming thing in college sports. It was also a more genteel time, where right from wrong was a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I believe that USF dropped their basketball program in the late 50's or early 60's. Back in a time where money wasn't an all consuming thing in college sports. It was also a more genteel time, where right from wrong was a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

And there was such a thing as truth in advertising. :roll:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

It's easy, isn't it, to say 'kill yourself' to Baylor from 2000 miles away? It's also fun to hold them to some kind of 'faith' standard that we don't hold anyone else to. After all, it isn't our school. We might even get more recruits out of the deal. There's just one problem I can't get past...what does football have to do with criminal/violent behavior? How would not playing football anymore help young men to stop raping young women, etc? Why football? Why not just shut the whole school down if it was an institutional problem?

I agree that a Christian university should stand up against these crimes, and that hushing them up was rank hypocrisy. But didn't those people get fired? Didn't they also get rid of the players in question? At this point then, how would getting rid of all new people who want to participate in athletics help to heal a broken culture? Unless we are blaming the game of football for the crimes, this line of reasoning makes no sense to me.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Phalanx, my guess is you've never been to Waco or Baylor and don't quite understand the faith standard employed there. It's not your garden-variety religiosity. They hold the world up to standards that can't be met, while committing some of the worse sins imaginable. They want the world to burn. And then they pretend their sins never really happened. It's the height of hypocrisy. They are being judged by their standards by those who want to see them take the same actions they did against the basketball program:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... red-player

It's not specifically a football problem. It's a Baylor problem. But because Baylor will apparently do anything to have a great football program...
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Where is bud when you need him?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Phalanx wrote:It's easy, isn't it, to say 'kill yourself' to Baylor from 2000 miles away? It's also fun to hold them to some kind of 'faith' standard that we don't hold anyone else to. After all, it isn't our school. We might even get more recruits out of the deal. There's just one problem I can't get past...what does football have to do with criminal/violent behavior? How would not playing football anymore help young men to stop raping young women, etc? Why football? Why not just shut the whole school down if it was an institutional problem?

I agree that a Christian university should stand up against these crimes, and that hushing them up was rank hypocrisy. But didn't those people get fired? Didn't they also get rid of the players in question? At this point then, how would getting rid of all new people who want to participate in athletics help to heal a broken culture? Unless we are blaming the game of football for the crimes, this line of reasoning makes no sense to me.
Because a lot of these "student athletes" are straight outta places where this kind of activity is common place?
Last edited by nogerO on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.