Beavers pitcher Luke Heimlich, sex offender and media target

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Beavers pitcher Luke Heimlich, sex offender and media target

Post by Alan »

The Oregonian broke a story yesterday about the Beavers star pitcher being a sex offender. Without getting into the disgusting details he was either 14 or 15, depending on which report you hear, and the victim was 6, he may or may not have been drunk....no excuse. I hope to say this once and not have to repeat it to anyone, it is disgusting and in no way do I want to try to be supportive towards Luke in the least....I DO NOT CONDONE HIS ACT! He went through all the requirements of counseling and no contact, doesn't make it okay. Not sure if his career should be done or not..... leaning towards no, he should play....... he was 14 or 15 and it happened seven years ago.......still not condoning it one bit.

The main focus of my post is on the media and their "timely" break on this news. I listened to Clownzono get on his soap box "as a father of three girls" bullshit and go on a rant. I listened to his interview with the writer of the story, how this was supposed to be a "feel good" story and how he just stumbled on his felony charges. How the only reason it broke so late was because he didn't receive the court documents until May 30th.... he didn't receive them from the desk of the mail room supervisor until the 30th? My point is these clowns in the media have done this over and over again, break the news when you have it, not seconds before a run at the national title, while the team is in the spotlight just so damn hack can get his or her 15 minutes. They, the media, have done this type of thing to Willie, Chip, Altman's past teams. It's shock jock reporting and takes away from the media's credibility....... okay off my soap box now, just my thoughts....

Final plea......... please don't turn this thread into a juvenile Beaver bashing thread, it's about a kids disgusting act and the BS the media has pulled again for national attention. I'm sure the important thing for the reporter is the chance to be on sports center.
Last edited by Alan on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Re: Beavers pitcher Luke Heimlich, sex offender and media ta

Post by Bud Lee »

Things like this are always incredibly difficult as the nature of it gives the majority of us a deep visceral response in our gut.

I think there is something to say about "doing his time" and what not but it is HARD to back some one that committed such a unspeakable crime against an innocent child.
pdxmallard
Two Star Recruit

Post by pdxmallard »

Alan wrote:The Oregonian broke a story yesterday about the Beavers star pitcher being a sex offender. Without getting into the disgusting details he was either 14 or 15, depending on which report you hear, and the victim was 6, he may or may not have been drunk....no excuse. I hope to say this once and not have to repeat it to anyone, it is disgusting and in no way do I want to try to be supportive towards Luke in the least....I DO NOT CONDONE HIS ACT! He went through all the requirements of counseling and no contact, doesn't make it okay. Not sure if his career should be done or not..... leaning towards no, he should play....... he was 14 or 15 and it happened seven years ago.......still not condoning it one bit.

The main focus of my post is on the media and their "timely" break on this news. I listened to Clownzono get on his soap box "as a father of three girls" bullshit and go on a rant. I listened to his interview with the writer of the story, how this was supposed to be a "feel good" story and how he just stumbled on his felony charges. How the only reason it broke so late was because he didn't receive the court documents until May 30th.... he didn't receive them from the desk of the mail room supervisor until the 30th? My point is these clowns in the media have done this over and over again, break the news when you have it, not seconds before a run at the national title, while the team is in the spotlight just so damn hack can get his or her 15 minutes. They, the media, have done this type of thing to Willie, Chip, Altman's past teams. It's shock jock reporting and takes away from the media's credibility....... okay off my soap box now, just my thoughts....

Final plea......... please don't turn this thread into a juvenile Beaver bashing thread, it's about a kids disgusting act and the BS the media has pulled again for national attention. I'm sure the important thing for the reporter is the chance to be on sports center.
If I understand the point, you are saying that you believe the reporter held on to the story in order to publish it immediately before the national championship run, and that was wrong; he should have published at soon as he had the information, whenever that was (presumably because of the distraction it causes).

I have no idea when the reporter received the information, or whether to assume the reporter is going to lie about it, but I don’t doubt that the fact we are talking about a key player on a championship caliber team makes it all the more newsworthy. OSU had to have known well before now, and had to have prepared for this. In that regard, OSU abdicated control by sitting on the information and allowing the player to become a focal point for the team, in spite of his history. Apparently, OSU didn’t view the timing of this information (assuming they knew it would likely come out at some point) as as important of a consideration as you do. In any event, the timing of the story, and the reporter, has got to be the very least disturbing part of this.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

You are correct, the media is the least disturbing part of this thing. But I didn't want to get focus on his actions, just the media's grandstanding. With that said, we don't know any details of his actions and I don't want to know...... was it a terrible perverted act or does an angry, hysterical mother against a 14 year old kid factor into it...? don't know, don't want to know.....just trying not to judge anyone except the reporter.

Willie has it happen also with the new SC coach, not to hijack my own thread, twisted facts for a reporters 15 minutes of fame. Not saying any facts were twisted in this report, just a held up report imo.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Why do you not want to judge anyone except the reporter? Why are your standards of evidence so much different when it comes to a guy who writes for the newspaper? And on a different note, the guy was convicted of the crime. You're really just gonna shrug and say "who knows" to that?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Tray Dub wrote:Why do you not want to judge anyone except the reporter? Why are your standards of evidence so much different when it comes to a guy who writes for the newspaper? And on a different note, the guy was convicted of the crime. You're really just gonna shrug and say "who knows" to that?
Like I said, no one here knows the details. If he did some sexual act on a 6 yr old, the judgment is easy no discussion. But my focus for this thread is on the media. We all know the type of post this thread would get if we focused on the crime. Luke's crime is a soft for this board, twisted, corrupted media is a better discussion
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

As explained by Aaron Fentress on Eugene-area sports talk show yesterday, it's the Oregonian's policy that any time a feature piece is being done on an individual, the writer will do a background check to make sure there aren't any lingering or concerning legal questions surrounding that person. The thing with Heimlich came up because his name appeared in a public records report from the Benton County sheriff's department in a sweep of lapsed registered sex offenders. Once they found out, they likely started doing more digging and it's just a bit of unfortunate timing that the story was finished right before the Super Regional.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Alan wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:Why do you not want to judge anyone except the reporter? Why are your standards of evidence so much different when it comes to a guy who writes for the newspaper? And on a different note, the guy was convicted of the crime. You're really just gonna shrug and say "who knows" to that?
Like I said, no one here knows the details. If he did some sexual act on a 6 yr old, the judgment is easy no discussion. But my focus for this thread is on the media. We all know the type of post this thread would get if we focused on the crime. Luke's crime is a soft for this board, twisted, corrupted media is a better discussion
I'm fine with us talking about the reporter, I just think you're being inconsistent by rushing to judgment about him and not the Beaver player. I don't see any evidence The Oregonian sat on this story. They certainly had a right to report it. Everyone loves to bash the media nowadays and in this case it looks to me like it's getting out of hand.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Tray Dub wrote:
Alan wrote:
I'm fine with us talking about the reporter, I just think you're being inconsistent by rushing to judgment about him and not the Beaver player. I don't see any evidence The Oregonian sat on this story. They certainly had a right to report it. Everyone loves to bash the media nowadays and in this case it looks to me like it's getting out of hand.
As the dates of when the Oregonian knew about these things have been posted, it looks like due diligence to have established facts on their part and then release. My initial reaction was that they waited but as those dates were given I don't see an issue from them.

Yes, Heimlich has served his time but he still has to register as part of what he did and failing to do so is what caused this. Does it feel like bad luck on some level that he's been registered before and nobody reported about it? Sure, but again it's all part his punishment for what he did. Megan's Law and its variants are there for a reason.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

So you want to blame the media? lol GTFO.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Phenom wrote:So you want to blame the media? lol GTFO.
You're usually better the this. More details are coming out, but it's the big picture in media.... GTFO?? Okay I will.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

You can't really blame the media here since they did their job the way they were told. It's not their fault that by following their typical guidelines for feature pieces they uncovered previously unknown information and reported on it, even if it took longer, went in a completely different than they were expecting and appeared at such at unfortunate time.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Alan wrote:
Phenom wrote:So you want to blame the media? lol GTFO.
You're usually better the this. More details are coming out, but it's the big picture in media.... GTFO?? Okay I will.
What's the big picture in media? They reported the facts? this isn't like when Nemec didn't quote Willie, there is nothing wrong with this article.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

yeah neither the reporter nor the oregonian did anything wrong here.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

Duck07 wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
Alan wrote:
As the dates of when the Oregonian knew about these things have been posted, it looks like due diligence to have established facts on their part and then release. My initial reaction was that they waited but as those dates were given I don't see an issue from them.

Yes, Heimlich has served his time but he still has to register as part of what he did and failing to do so is what caused this. Does it feel like bad luck on some level that he's been registered before and nobody reported about it? Sure, but again it's all part his punishment for what he did. Megan's Law and its variants are there for a reason.
This.