Should the Blazers go after PG13?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Should the Blazers go after PG13?

Post by Ducks10 »

I think yes. They should try and get him, even if he's here for only one year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Should the Blazers go after PG13?

Post by buckmarkduck »

I'd love to land him, but He'll cost to much, and anyways he wants to go to LA.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

No. You'd have to sacrifice assets with future value for just a one-year rental, and what's the point? Zero chance you're gonna be able to make it past the Warriors next year.

Now, in the unlikely event that he's willing to sign an extension here, that's a different conversation.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

ya there's NO reason to get him, trade C.J. for a one year rental and then have no C.J. or PG in 2018
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

lol it wouldn't take CJ. He has no value right now in a trade. Worst case I think would be two of our firsts this year and Crabbe or Harkless. Even if it's for one year I do that and hey who knows maybe he re-signs. Even if he doesn't, we get cap flexibility with Crabbe off our hands.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Ducks10 wrote:lol it wouldn't take CJ. He has no value right now in a trade. Worst case I think would be two of our firsts this year and Crabbe or Harkless. Even if it's for one year I do that and hey who knows maybe he re-signs. Even if he doesn't, we get cap flexibility with Crabbe off our hands.
indy would have to be at peak desperation level to take two mediocre first round picks and two league average players, one with a bloated deal, for paul george. that's not going to happen. ever.

if indy trades george they're either going to go in one of two directions: demand a star in return, or go full rebuild. portland can offer neither. cleveland can offer kevin love; boston can offer several high lottery picks. the lakers are said to be desperately trying to acquire a second lottery pick to potentially trade to indy.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

oregontrack wrote:
Ducks10 wrote:lol it wouldn't take CJ. He has no value right now in a trade. Worst case I think would be two of our firsts this year and Crabbe or Harkless. Even if it's for one year I do that and hey who knows maybe he re-signs. Even if he doesn't, we get cap flexibility with Crabbe off our hands.
indy would have to be at peak desperation level to take two mediocre first round picks and two league average players, one with a bloated deal, for paul george. that's not going to happen. ever.

if indy trades george they're either going to go in one of two directions: demand a star in return, or go full rebuild. portland can offer neither. cleveland can offer kevin love; boston can offer several high lottery picks. the lakers are said to be desperately trying to acquire a second lottery pick to potentially trade to indy.
Indy has no leverage at all to demand anything and will be lucky to get more than a ham sandwich with a few warm PBR's for him at this point. His stated desire to play for the Lakers makes him a one year rental at this point so unless a team on the cusp wants to mortgage their future for one shot at a title (Cleveland?), Indy will be hard pressed to get anything near what his value is. They could hang on to him and try to negotiate a sign-and-trade to the Lakers but that's quite the risk to take.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I really doubt they'd take Crabbe but whatever. Indy will probably get better offers than that but whatever. You're still giving up too much. Again, what good does one year of Paul George do for the Blazers? What's the point? No way Portland can get to the Finals next year, we all know that. So why are you mortgaging your future, sacrificing valuable draft picks, for... a second round exit? And then you're back to square one, except now you lost your only shots at drafting a star who could make a real long-term impact. It's just pointless.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i don't disagree that indy will struggle to get equal value back, however we both mentioned the team that would be MORE than willing to trade off valuable assets because they're in win-now mode: cleveland.

if indy elects to not take on talent (ie money) in return, they could seek draft picks OR just keep PG through the end of the 2018 season and enjoy the cash windfall created by not re-signing him. whatever they choose, they'd be in worse shape by taking that suggested blazer deal above. that neither provides indy with viable talent or saves them money.

quirky possibility i have not yet seen mentioned: paul george for blake griffin straight up. it's not the lakers, but it's the same city and he'd be playing with chris paul and deandre jordan. the clips are heavily rumored to be exploring options to blow the team up, as the current nucleus not only can't compete with golden state, they can't even get out of the first round. if neither player chooses to re-sign after the 2018 season, both teams get cap relief in pursuit of another star. // shrug
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Should they go after him? Absolutely. You have to get a legit guy next to Damian on the wing and in a "rental" scenario you're hoping it's more of a lease with option to purchase instead by letting him see what it's like to play alongside him and hoping he likes it.

Is it likely? Not really.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Of course do it if that's the asking prices. If you can get a top 30 player without trading Lillard, CJ, or Nurkic, do it.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Of course it would take CJ. I think the Blazers should do it only if they get PG to sign an extension. If not, then no.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

So since a few of you guys disagree with me on whether two 1sts is a good price to pay for one year of Paul George, can someone explain the rationale? Why sacrifice huge building blocks of the team's future for a year in which you'd still have a tiny tiny chance at a championship?
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

lol, the 20th and 26th picks (not including 15th, and those numbers might be a little off) are building blocks? I highly doubt it. And Warriors are going to run this conference for the next few years, by the time they're done, Lillard might already be past his prime.
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

BTW, sorry if I came off as a jerk there lol. Not trying to be one.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2017/6/19/1 ... dcast-espn