NBA DRAFT

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: NBA DRAFT

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Oh my gosh. Warriors sign Chris Boucher. I hate my life. And my two teams, Spurs and Blazers, sucked it up. Basketball is stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's only a 2-way contract, which basically means he spend up to 45 days on their active roster but the rest will have to be spent on their G-League team. They're basically stashing him away so he can rehab his knee with the hope he can develop. Smart move by them.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Oh my gosh. Warriors sign Chris Boucher. I hate my life. And my two teams, Spurs and Blazers, sucked it up. Basketball is stupid.

It's only a 2-way contract, which basically means he spend up to 45 days on their active roster but the rest will have to be spent on their G-League team. They're basically stashing him away so he can rehab his knee with the hope he can develop. Smart move by them.
It's enough to make me hate basketball more than I ever have before.

Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

The only way Portland sucked it up is if you were banking on dumping salary tonight... IMO. The Collins pick is dynamite if we're talking about the best long term situation for the team. His defensive acumen and complimentary scoring is exactly what the "Big 3" of Lillard, McCollum, and Nurkic needed.

But I know Portland's cap situation is a big deal to a lot of people. I don't mean to write it off, but I'm also not going to freak out about it until we see what they can do this off-season. It's entirely possible that teams were not willing to part with draft picks tonight but we may be able to shed some fat later this summer. I hope so, anyway.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Thurston wrote:The only way Portland sucked it up is if you were banking on dumping salary tonight... IMO. The Collins pick is dynamite if we're talking about the best long term situation for the team. His defensive acumen and complimentary scoring is exactly what the "Big 3" of Lillard, McCollum, and Nurkic needed.

But I know Portland's cap situation is a big deal to a lot of people. I don't mean to write it off, but I'm also not going to freak out about it until we see what they can do this off-season. It's entirely possible that teams were not willing to part with draft picks tonight but we may be able to shed some fat later this summer. I hope so, anyway.
You've gleaned all that from Collins in 17 minutes per night off the bench in the WCC?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Thurston wrote:The only way Portland sucked it up is if you were banking on dumping salary tonight... IMO. The Collins pick is dynamite if we're talking about the best long term situation for the team. His defensive acumen and complimentary scoring is exactly what the "Big 3" of Lillard, McCollum, and Nurkic needed.

Blazers are going to have to find some teams willing to take some of their bad contracts. They've really painted themselves into a corner by overvaluing and overpaying their FAs last offseason and now have no real pieces of value to work with to improve much.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Duck24 wrote:

You've gleaned all that from Collins in 17 minutes per night off the bench in the WCC?
Moreso how he looked in crunch time and how he played in Gonzaga's run to the title game. It's true he averaged less than 20 minutes per game, but he was also playing the same position as a senior All-American. And Collins was hardly perfect, he did struggle with silly freshman fouls, something he'll need to be coached out of as a pro.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Thurston wrote:
Duck24 wrote:

Moreso how he looked in crunch time and how he played in Gonzaga's run to the title game. It's true he averaged less than 20 minutes per game, but he was also playing the same position as a senior All-American. And Collins was hardly perfect, he did struggle with silly freshman fouls, something he'll need to be coached out of as a pro.
So he couldn't beat out Karnowski, had a handful of decent games at the end of the season and fouled out in the biggest game of his career in 14 minutes. I'm supposed to be excited about him at #10? Who was the last college bench player (let alone in the WCC) who was drafted and succeeded in the NBA?
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Duck24 wrote:
Thurston wrote:
Duck24 wrote:

So he couldn't beat out Karnowski, had a handful of decent games at the end of the season and fouled out in the biggest game of his career in 14 minutes. I'm supposed to be excited about him at #10? Who was the last college bench player (let alone in the WCC) who was drafted and succeeded in the NBA?
I'm gonna go ahead and trust all the talent evaluator's that are paid a lot of money to do what they do, and they all agree he has piles of potential and skill. Few has a history of playing older guys over younger ones, if you watched the play you could see Collins was the better player of the two but he tended to overexert himself on both ends.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Collins is a great pick...just wait on it...and not that long. He's got a solid post game, good stroke, and can play defense.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

NBA DRAFT

Post by duckduckgoose »

;)
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Portland and their #1 picks. Lol. LaRue Martin. Sam Bowie. Greg Odens. They are either incredibly snake bit or inept, your choice. They're a #8 seed for the foreseeable future. . .they need to take notes from the Warriors about how to build a team and manage their cap. And I hate the warriors...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

So you are of the opinion that Collins will be playing alongside Nurkic? I don't believe this to be the case. Neither of them is built to play the 4 spot. I think the Collins pick is Olshey looking ahead and realizing that his only attractive asset on the team is Nurkic - a guy he will be losing at the end of the upcoming season - and he just drafted Nurk's replacement so that he could trade him. I think Nurk would re-sign in Portland if all else were equal, but thanks to Olshey's total incompetence last summer, there will be no ability to offer him anything like a competitive contract. The only way that situation was going to change was if Olshey could entice someone to take a couple of these awful contracts off his hands, and clearly, he was unable to do so. Now that he no longer has three picks to lure those teams with, the likelihood of getting out of salary cap hell is pretty low. So, I guess it's good that you like Collins, since he is likely to be the starting center after this year.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Duck24 wrote:So he couldn't beat out Karnowski, had a handful of decent games at the end of the season and fouled out in the biggest game of his career in 14 minutes. I'm supposed to be excited about him at #10? Who was the last college bench player (let alone in the WCC) who was drafted and succeeded in the NBA?
No, you are not supposed to be excited about him at #10, because your mind is already made up. Others are free to be excited about his potential. Cheers.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Phalanx wrote:So you are of the opinion that Collins will be playing alongside Nurkic? I don't believe this to be the case. Neither of them is built to play the 4 spot. I think the Collins pick is Olshey looking ahead and realizing that his only attractive asset on the team is Nurkic - a guy he will be losing at the end of the upcoming season - and he just drafted Nurk's replacement so that he could trade him. I think Nurk would re-sign in Portland if all else were equal, but thanks to Olshey's total incompetence last summer, there will be no ability to offer him anything like a competitive contract. The only way that situation was going to change was if Olshey could entice someone to take a couple of these awful contracts off his hands, and clearly, he was unable to do so. Now that he no longer has three picks to lure those teams with, the likelihood of getting out of salary cap hell is pretty low. So, I guess it's good that you like Collins, since he is likely to be the starting center after this year.
I am. He projects as a solid rim defender and his footwork is advanced enough to guard smaller players on the pick and roll. Defensively, that's an outstanding match with Nurkic, and I believe a second plus interior defender was specifically identified by the organization because the perimeter defense on this team leaves a lot to be desired. Nurkic was able to clean up a lot of junk all on his own, and now he's got a bit of help. Or he will, as Collins develops and earns more and more time.

Offensively, his game away from the basket is a good compliment to the big fella inside.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Thurston wrote:
Phalanx wrote:So you are of the opinion that Collins will be playing alongside Nurkic? I don't believe this to be the case. Neither of them is built to play the 4 spot. I think the Collins pick is Olshey looking ahead and realizing that his only attractive asset on the team is Nurkic - a guy he will be losing at the end of the upcoming season - and he just drafted Nurk's replacement so that he could trade him. I think Nurk would re-sign in Portland if all else were equal, but thanks to Olshey's total incompetence last summer, there will be no ability to offer him anything like a competitive contract. The only way that situation was going to change was if Olshey could entice someone to take a couple of these awful contracts off his hands, and clearly, he was unable to do so. Now that he no longer has three picks to lure those teams with, the likelihood of getting out of salary cap hell is pretty low. So, I guess it's good that you like Collins, since he is likely to be the starting center after this year.
I am. He projects as a solid rim defender and his footwork is advanced enough to guard smaller players on the pick and roll. Defensively, that's an outstanding match with Nurkic, and I believe a second plus interior defender was specifically identified by the organization because the perimeter defense on this team leaves a lot to be desired. Nurkic was able to clean up a lot of junk all on his own, and now he's got a bit of help. Or he will, as Collins develops and earns more and more time.

Offensively, his game away from the basket is a good compliment to the big fella inside.
This, from how Collins grades out they are literally perfect matches. But it's okay, some people need to hate, and be Justin Jackson believers lul