NBA DRAFT

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: NBA DRAFT

Post by Phalanx »

pudgejeff wrote:
This, from how Collins grades out they are literally perfect matches. But it's okay, some people need to hate, and be Justin Jackson believers lul
The only 'hating' I've done is on Olshey for trading two rookie contracts to get one, and missing a golden opportunity to get some cap relief. It isn't about Collins, except what he signifies, which is a decision by Olshey to give up on signing Nurkic next summer. We finally get a decent center who likes it in Portland, and Olshey has his pants so far down around his ankles, he is completely immobilized and has no ability to keep him. I don't 'hate' Collins, I just don't think he will be as good as Nurkic, or even as valuable to the team as two other players would have been. You can go on and on about how well Collins fits with Nurkic if you want: It isn't going to matter after this year because Nurkic will be gone.

Anyway, we'll see I guess.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Phalanx wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
This, from how Collins grades out they are literally perfect matches. But it's okay, some people need to hate, and be Justin Jackson believers lul
The only 'hating' I've done is on Olshey for trading two rookie contracts to get one, and missing a golden opportunity to get some cap relief. It isn't about Collins, except what he signifies, which is a decision by Olshey to give up on signing Nurkic next summer. We finally get a decent center who likes it in Portland, and Olshey has his pants so far down around his ankles, he is completely immobilized and has no ability to keep him. I don't 'hate' Collins, I just don't think he will be as good as Nurkic, or even as valuable to the team as two other players would have been. You can go on and on about how well Collins fits with Nurkic if you want: It isn't going to matter after this year because Nurkic will be gone.

Anyway, we'll see I guess.

what's throwing people off is your insistence that nurk is as good as gone after this year. based on what? you do know that the nba has a soft cap and we'll be able to extend him, right? paul allen gives zero shits about the luxury tax. we'll extend nurk just like the cavs have been able to bring together max players like lebron, love, and kyrie and still hand out massive extensions to thompson and shumpert and jr smith. if you're willing to pay the tax, the nba rewards you for wanting to keep your own players.

now let's toss this in the same pile as you not understanding how lillard's max contract worked and "trying to pay mccollum less" and move on.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

mrpd21 wrote:Initial grade by Si.com:

10. Portland Trail Blazers: Zach Collins, Gonzaga

It made little sense for the cap-starved Blazers to use all three of their first-round selections. Portland will reportedly send Nos. 15 and 20 to Sacramento for this pick, and directly address a need with Collins, perhaps the top defensive big man in this class. There’s plenty of reason to be high on him, despite his limited playing time as a freshman, and teams believe he can become a strong jump shooter and rim protector at the next level. The Blazers will hope he’s the solution in the middle to compliment Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum sooner rather than later. It’s a shrewd move by GM Neil Olshey. Grade: A

We shall see...
Top defensive big men? Yes he can block shots, which is certainly valuable. But 2.7 fouls per game in 17 mpg is beyond horrendous. While's it not an exact reflection of your defense, but if he's fouling that much in WCC play than it's a reasonable metric to describe his defense (or lack thereof!).

Just to put it in perspective, Jordan Bell averaged 1.8 fouls a game in 29 mpg. He blocks shots and is a smart defender in general.

You know who else blocked shots in college like Collins, but fouled a lot? Myers Leonard! 3 fouls per game and 2 blocks per game.

So in my eyes, we drafted two big men who can't play solid D. And our D is the worst in the NBA. Meh.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I could not be more upset about Bell to the Warriors. I've never hated a team in sports more and my wife is from the Bay Area and loves the Warriors. And on top of that Bell is the reason she became a duck fan and she has a huge crush on him so she's been going nuts and rubbing it in my face. Ugh, this is not fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meh Bell fits the Warriors very well though. I can't stand GS, but that's actually a great fit for him. And home state.

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

oregontrack wrote:

what's throwing people off is your insistence that nurk is as good as gone after this year. based on what? you do know that the nba has a soft cap and we'll be able to extend him, right? paul allen gives zero shits about the luxury tax. we'll extend nurk just like the cavs have been able to bring together max players like lebron, love, and kyrie and still hand out massive extensions to thompson and shumpert and jr smith. if you're willing to pay the tax, the nba rewards you for wanting to keep your own players.

now let's toss this in the same pile as you not understanding how lillard's max contract worked and "trying to pay mccollum less" and move on.
I think what is throwing you off specifically is that you have zero concept of math and how a salary cap affects roster decisions. I said earlier this year that they would never be able to keep Plumlee, and I was right. Thankfully in that case, they found a willing trade partner in Denver and got a very favorable deal. Plumlee was still gone, however. This year, we are in the same boat with Nurkic, only more so, because if he is able to play like he did for the Blazers last year, he will command a much larger contract than Plumlee, possibly even a max deal. The Blazers are simply not able to offer him the kind of money he will command on the market. Olshey knows this, and chose Collins clearly to mitigate that damage. If you can't see that very basic reality, I can't help you. Your opinion that Allen doesn't care about the luxury tax is worthless, like a lot of your opinions. It is being reported everywhere that they are trying to trade away contracts and avoid their current status of being over $20 million over the luxury tax threshold. Trying, and so far failing. If they cannot shed a few of these terrible contracts, they will never resign Nurkic. Period.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

that was a neat story about plumlee, but if he was any good and we wanted to retain him we could have. but he was an average center, and we saw an upgrade on a longer rookie contract that also came with a draft pick, and we took the deal. that's not an example of you figuring out the salary cap for the first time. that's an example of a typical nba transaction and you trying to fit it into a narrative.

we can do nothing with our roster and still extend nurk to a mega deal today, tomorrow, or after next season ends. this is not the nfl, where a hard cap keeps everybody under a certain threshold. this is the nba, where if you're willing to pay a tax you have a lot of freedoms with your existing roster. i have given examples of this. you have ignored them. i suppose that's your right, but you're flat-out spreading false information.

paul allen has paid the luxury tax before. it's strange that you don't think he'd do it for nurk. or... maybe you don't know that he CAN go into the luxury tax for him. i'm not sure. your grasp of the cba is shaky.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

oregontrack wrote:that was a neat story about plumlee, but if he was any good and we wanted to retain him we could have. but he was an average center, and we saw an upgrade on a longer rookie contract that also came with a draft pick, and we took the deal. that's not an example of you figuring out the salary cap for the first time. that's an example of a typical nba transaction and you trying to fit it into a narrative.

we can do nothing with our roster and still extend nurk to a mega deal today, tomorrow, or after next season ends. this is not the nfl, where a hard cap keeps everybody under a certain threshold. this is the nba, where if you're willing to pay a tax you have a lot of freedoms with your existing roster. i have given examples of this. you have ignored them. i suppose that's your right, but you're flat-out spreading false information.

paul allen has paid the luxury tax before. it's strange that you don't think he'd do it for nurk. or... maybe you don't know that he CAN go into the luxury tax for him. i'm not sure. your grasp of the cba is shaky.

At best
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

oregontrack wrote:that was a neat story about plumlee, but if he was any good and we wanted to retain him we could have. but he was an average center, and we saw an upgrade on a longer rookie contract that also came with a draft pick, and we took the deal. that's not an example of you figuring out the salary cap for the first time. that's an example of a typical nba transaction and you trying to fit it into a narrative.

After reading your posts, it seems like the NBA aren't the only ones with a soft cap. The subject is whether the Blazers are willing to pay luxury tax for any marginal signing, and then even more tax for the next year when they reach 'repeat offender' status. It has nothing to do with whether they can legally sign Nurkic. They won't.

Here is a quote from Paul Allen himself on the topic of the luxury tax:

"That darn luxury tax is pretty painful. You have to make those decisions. As you know, at one point, I believe I had the record for the highest luxury tax payments. In the end, that didn't make sense. So that's something we'll have to look at very carefully. Sometimes you can go into the tax for a year or something and then come out of it if it makes sense as you're transitioning through different player contracts. So it's something Neil and I will evaluate very carefully."

So, according to you, paying tens of millions in luxury tax this year and then signing Nurkic to a near max deal and paying even more millions in tax next year and the following years is no big deal. According to the guy who would actually have to pay that tax, it is a big deal. As has been reported in multiple places, the Blazers are trying to shed salary. I believe they are doing this so that they can re-sign Nurk. The problem is that nobody wants their wide array of overpaid mugs. Besides you, that is. So that will be the challenge this year - can Olshey dump the Old Maid on somebody when everyone in the league knows that's what he wants to do?

At some point, arguing with people who are totally ignorant ceases to be a rewarding exercise. So I will just let you have the last word on the matter, and we will see what happens this season. If they do end up keeping this payroll and signing Nurk, I will apologize. The chances of that happening are currently at -7%.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Phalanx wrote:After reading your posts, it seems like the NBA aren't the only ones with a soft cap. The subject is whether the Blazers are willing to pay luxury tax for any marginal signing, and then even more tax for the next year when they reach 'repeat offender' status. It has nothing to do with whether they can legally sign Nurkic. They won't.

"That darn luxury tax is pretty painful. You have to make those decisions. As you know, at one point, I believe I had the record for the highest luxury tax payments. In the end, that didn't make sense. So that's something we'll have to look at very carefully. Sometimes you can go into the tax for a year or something and then come out of it if it makes sense as you're transitioning through different player contracts. So it's something Neil and I will evaluate very carefully."

So, according to you, paying tens of millions in luxury tax this year and then signing Nurkic to a near max deal and paying even more millions in tax next year and the following years is no big deal. According to the guy who would actually have to pay that tax, it is a big deal. As has been reported in multiple places, the Blazers are trying to shed salary. I believe they are doing this so that they can re-sign Nurk. The problem is that nobody wants their wide array of overpaid mugs. Besides you, that is. So that will be the challenge this year - can Olshey dump the Old Maid on somebody when everyone in the league knows that's what he wants to do?

At some point, arguing with people who are totally ignorant ceases to be a rewarding exercise. So I will just let you have the last word on the matter, and we will see what happens this season. If they do end up keeping this payroll and signing Nurk, I will apologize. The chances of that happening are currently at -7%.

you're already on record saying you wouldn't have re-signed lillard and mccollum, and now that you agree that the blazers can sign nurk, you just don't think they will. sure, i'll play the ignorant one in this relationship.

for the record, i don't believe you'll need to apologize. you freaking out about not shedding salary last night does not mean pdx will not shed salary between now and the trade deadline next year. there's some expensive dead weight on this roster we all know they'd love to get rid of. i imagine they'll get rid of a few pieces between now and then.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

oregontrack wrote:
Phalanx wrote:After reading your posts, it seems like the NBA aren't the only ones with a soft cap. The subject is whether the Blazers are willing to pay luxury tax for any marginal signing, and then even more tax for the next year when they reach 'repeat offender' status. It has nothing to do with whether they can legally sign Nurkic. They won't.

you're already on record saying you wouldn't have re-signed lillard and mccollum, and now that you agree that the blazers can sign nurk, you just don't think they will. sure, i'll play the ignorant one in this relationship.

for the record, i don't believe you'll need to apologize. you freaking out about not shedding salary last night does not mean pdx will not shed salary between now and the trade deadline next year. there's some expensive dead weight on this roster we all know they'd love to get rid of. i imagine they'll get rid of a few pieces between now and then.
Also, the the Aminu and Harkless contracts are easy to move as everyone see's them as great contracts.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Happy to see Bell go to Warriors. That was the perfect landing spot for him. Blazers should have drafted Monk. Can't believe they blew that.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Top defensive big men? Yes he can block shots, which is certainly valuable. But 2.7 fouls per game in 17 mpg is beyond horrendous. While's it not an exact reflection of your defense, but if he's fouling that much in WCC play than it's a reasonable metric to describe his defense (or lack thereof!).

Just to put it in perspective, Jordan Bell averaged 1.8 fouls a game in 29 mpg. He blocks shots and is a smart defender in general.

You know who else blocked shots in college like Collins, but fouled a lot? Myers Leonard! 3 fouls per game and 2 blocks per game.

So in my eyes, we drafted two big men who can't play solid D. And our D is the worst in the NBA. Meh.
i mean... people aren't just making scouting reports up. he possesses a lot of really good defensive tools that plus-interior big men need to succeed at the professional level. i do think he was over-aggressive in college, but that's why nba teams employ highly paid coaching staffs. he was a fantastic defender in college in spite of his fouls, we need to now harness his skill and coach him up to continue playing excellent D while toning down the hacking. and i'm going to point out the obvious -- in most gonzaga games, he could AFFORD to be hyper-aggressive because he played behind an all american big man.

the meyers leonard comparison is non-existent. leonard was a good athlete but he somehow has terrible body control. he's got the basketball IQ of a bag of rocks and suffers from terrible lapses in judgment. he's 7' feet tall but terrible in the post, so he developed an outside game which was kind of a novelty at first but it's just not worth him being on the floor. if he were a football player leonard would be the athlete you try out at quarterback because if it "comes together" he'd be amazing, but he's too damn stupid to ever learn the playbook and you cringe every time he attempts a forward pass. collins is the quarterback who just happens to be a gifted athlete on top of things. he's proficient fundamentally in ways leonard never was nor is capable of ever being. to say nothing of the fact that there's so much more that goes into defense than just blocking shots, leonard was an athlete in college so i imagine he'd be able to outjump many a college player taking it to the rim but have you ever see him try defensively against a p&r? or guard a smaller player? or guard someone his own size? or try to call out a defense? or make the right decision on a fast break?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

oregontrack wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Top defensive big men? Yes he can block shots, which is certainly valuable. But 2.7 fouls per game in 17 mpg is beyond horrendous. While's it not an exact reflection of your defense, but if he's fouling that much in WCC play than it's a reasonable metric to describe his defense (or lack thereof!).

i mean... people aren't just making scouting reports up. he possesses a lot of really good defensive tools that plus-interior big men need to succeed at the professional level. i do think he was over-aggressive in college, but that's why nba teams employ highly paid coaching staffs. he was a fantastic defender in college in spite of his fouls, we need to now harness his skill and coach him up to continue playing excellent D while toning down the hacking. and i'm going to point out the obvious -- in most gonzaga games, he could AFFORD to be hyper-aggressive because he played behind an all american big man.

the meyers leonard comparison is non-existent. leonard was a good athlete but he somehow has terrible body control. he's got the basketball IQ of a bag of rocks and suffers from terrible lapses in judgment. he's 7' feet tall but terrible in the post, so he developed an outside game which was kind of a novelty at first but it's just not worth him being on the floor. if he were a football player leonard would be the athlete you try out at quarterback because if it "comes together" he'd be amazing, but he's too damn stupid to ever learn the playbook and you cringe every time he attempts a forward pass. collins is the quarterback who just happens to be a gifted athlete on top of things. he's proficient fundamentally in ways leonard never was nor is capable of ever being. to say nothing of the fact that there's so much more that goes into defense than just blocking shots, leonard was an athlete in college so i imagine he'd be able to outjump many a college player taking it to the rim but have you ever see him try defensively against a p&r? or guard a smaller player? or guard someone his own size? or try to call out a defense? or make the right decision on a fast break?
Did you ever read reports on Leonard when he was coming out?

Guess who:

NBA Comparison: Robin Lopez
Strengths: Fluid, athletic 7-footer with developing all-around skills ... Excellent length on a good frame that will be capable of supporting more muscle ... Quick off his feet ... Strong body-control for a big ... Easy alley-oop target ... Explosiveness helps him blow by slower post players in transition ... Good offensive awareness ... Talented passer with good court-vision ... Does a lot of damage in the post at this level ... Willing to wrestle for good position near the block ... Uses his agility well to get around the rim, and is a quality finisher due to his athleticism ... Becoming a better outside shooter, and is dangerous when left alone from 12-18 feet ... Nice touch from the free-throw line; shouldn't be a liability there in the future ... Sells contact well (he's a good flopper) ... Defends with his body more than his hands ... Protects the rim well on defense ... Blocks a lot of shots ... Smart help-defender ... Gets his hands on a lot of rebounds, and is aware enough to tip-out to teammates when he can't corral one himself ... Usually does a good job of finding somebody to box-out whenever a shot goes up ...

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i'm not entirely sure why you emphasized what you did. being able to outrun other posts on the break and swatting shots is basically what he could do because he was an athlete, not a basketball player. that's my whole point. he was a big kid, i remember him backing down a lot of smaller posts and he quickly found out he couldn't do that in the pro's. he had no moves he could rely on. so he became a 3-pt shooter.

i'm not seeing the comparison to collins outside of being athletic enough at their size to competently run down the basketball court, and blocking shots.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
oregontrack wrote:

Did you ever read reports on Leonard when he was coming out?

Guess who:

NBA Comparison: Robin Lopez
Strengths: Fluid, athletic 7-footer with developing all-around skills ... Excellent length on a good frame that will be capable of supporting more muscle ... Quick off his feet ... Strong body-control for a big ... Easy alley-oop target ... Explosiveness helps him blow by slower post players in transition ... Good offensive awareness ... Talented passer with good court-vision ... Does a lot of damage in the post at this level ... Willing to wrestle for good position near the block ... Uses his agility well to get around the rim, and is a quality finisher due to his athleticism ... Becoming a better outside shooter, and is dangerous when left alone from 12-18 feet ... Nice touch from the free-throw line; shouldn't be a liability there in the future ... Sells contact well (he's a good flopper) ... Defends with his body more than his hands ... Protects the rim well on defense ... Blocks a lot of shots ... Smart help-defender ... Gets his hands on a lot of rebounds, and is aware enough to tip-out to teammates when he can't corral one himself ... Usually does a good job of finding somebody to box-out whenever a shot goes up ...
If you noticed, everything you see in there circles back to his athleticism.