Saban really cracking down

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Re: Saban really cracking down

Post by Bud Lee »

Duck07 wrote:To keep playing DA, isn't that now illegal camping as well?
I believe most states will give you a DUI/DWI in this situation. I always tell people if you have to sleep in your car put the keys in your trunk and sleep in the back seat. Make it as hard as possible for them to make the "operating" argument.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Just another DUI in SEC country!
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Even if he was 'doing the right thing' and had his wits about him and was purposely sleeping it off, getting a 'good' DUI should get at least one game. If they were playing Georgia State in game 1 instead of Florida State I wonder if his punishment would be different?

That said, I don't blame Bama fans who are fine with no suspension. Truth be told, I was kinda hoping that Willie would give DC a slap on the wrist for his DUI even though he fully deserved to be kicked out.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Bud Lee wrote:
Duck07 wrote:To keep playing DA, isn't that now illegal camping as well?
I believe most states will give you a DUI/DWI in this situation. I always tell people if you have to sleep in your car put the keys in your trunk and sleep in the back seat. Make it as hard as possible for them to make the "operating" argument.
But your Honor, I took off the battery cables before I got inside. :lol:
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

In OR, being drunk/buzzed/.08+ or impaired while in the drivers seat and the keys in your possession will get you a DUII/DWI. I can see a young adult not knowing the law but I also feel these types of laws should be taught to incoming fresh. during orientation when they arrive on campus. According to the law yes I feel he should be suspended flip side like a few have said a lot of players would rather take the suspension vs. "team discipline" drills. The DUII might hurt his stock in the NFL draft (doubtful), missing a game will not and at this point that's all this kid is worried about that and a NC. So until someone figures out a way to really hurt these kids for bad life altering decisions like pulling scholarships/financial aid/ dinging them a round in the draft or multiple game suspensions (4-6) I feel team discipline drills is the only real way to drive home the point to not screw up.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Living in Fl, I may have gotten into the passenger seat and cranked the car on get AC while I waited for my new DD to arrive via Uber to drive me home.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Duck07 wrote:But your Honor, I took off the battery cables before I got inside. :lol:

You laugh but I'm sure if I dug deep enough I would find someone who argued that somewhere :lol:

Seriously though, as a lawyer I have always had a huge problem with folks getting a DUI/DWI sleeping in their car be it a running vehicle or shut off with their windows down. At that point I feel the individual, be it a college athlete or random Joe, should receive the benefit of the doubt and the courts should rule that they did not have the intent to "operate" a motor vehicle while impaired. Of course I say that as a life long resident of a State that has a very strange drinking culture compared to the rest of the US.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Bud Lee wrote:
Duck07 wrote:But your Honor, I took off the battery cables before I got inside. :lol:

You laugh but I'm sure if I dug deep enough I would find someone who argued that somewhere :lol:

Seriously though, as a lawyer I have always had a huge problem with folks getting a DUI/DWI sleeping in their car be it a running vehicle or shut off with their windows down. At that point I feel the individual, be it a college athlete or random Joe, should receive the benefit of the doubt and the courts should rule that they did not have the intent to "operate" a motor vehicle while impaired. Of course I say that as a life long resident of a State that has a very strange drinking culture compared to the rest of the US.
Boy howdy!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine