USMNT misses 2018 World Cup

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

justducky0
Senior

Re: USMNT misses 2018 World Cup

Post by justducky0 »

Yes I know who Claudio Reyna is.

I 100% agree that some changes need to happen to the US Soccer system, nobody can deny that.

But what does your post have to do with mine? I am saying the young group 16-23 is the most skilled and the most promising the US has had, they are starting to be the first "soccer first" generation the US has ever put out there. If you watched the development and how they play against the world in international tournaments you would see this.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phenom wrote:
justducky0 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
justducky0 wrote:Keep: Wood, Pulisic, Nagbe, Arriola, Cameron, Bradley, Altidore

Everyone else needs to retire from international play or not be called in again from this team.

Then next generation of players is very VERY exciting. Time to build for the future.
Ya'll say that every time.
Here is the thing fella. No "we" don't say that every time and the fact you even mention that shows how out of touch you are.

When you look at the youth national team results and rosters for both the U-17 and U-20 levels from 2009 through 2013 in major competitions, you will find teams that didn’t perform well on the field and produced very few national team players. These teams even failed to produce many consistent professionals—the types of athletes who raise the professional game domestically. The good news for U.S. Soccer is that, starting with the 1995 birth year, the trend seems to be reversing. American-born/raised talent seems to be significantly improving—both domestic-based players as well as those playing abroad. The problem is significant right now, however, because the lack of players born in the 1990-1994 range (along with bad signs for the 1996-born contingent) will continue to plague the national team both now and in the years ahead. These players are now aged 21 and 23-27—a key age range for any team.

That being said. The age group 16-23 is downright exciting. Pulisic, Arriola, Wood, Yedlin, Brooks, Acosta, Hyndman, Gooch, Sargent, Weah, Carelton, Palmer-Brown, Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Mckennie, Wright, Gyau, Boyd, Gonzalez, Horvath..the list goes on. Now of course some of these players will flame out. But to have that many this young exciting Americans battling for starting spots in Europe where the real soccer is played is very good. I could go in to more detail as to the reasons this group of players will be exciting to watch but i've wasted enough of my time on it. I love soccer and I cannot wait for the future. BTW....soccer now ranks second behind basketball in youth participation.
lol I've heard this over and over again. Listen to Claudio Reyna (look him up).

Our approach and our behavior to the sport here — to coaching, to everything, is just wrong," Reyna told Goal on Tuesday. "We’re far too arrogant. We’re far too obnoxious. We are egotistical having never won anything or done anything, and that’s not the case around the world.

He added: "We have coaches who think they’re better than they are. Across the board, we just think we do things better than we really do. I mean in every way. Whether it’s broadcasting, or media, coaching, we’re just not as far along as we tell ourselves we are.

"We need a little honesty, and hopefully this brought it. I think it’s far too late. I think we’ve been asleep at the wheel for a little bit too long."

"Until we realize that — that we’re not as good as we think we are at all levels — then I think we’re going to continue being what we are, which is mediocre."

We need a little humility and modesty at the table. Unfortunately we have a little too much 'Mr. I Know Everything', 'Mr. Arrogance', 'Mr. Obnoxious', 'Mr. Loud', and when those get together nothing happens."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/clau...r ... 9c89qmxyib
I don't know, 2 final 8 finishes in 5 world cups for a team that the rest of the world considers irrelevant is still pretty impressive.

I still think coaching is the biggest problem. We have enough talent to be a top 25 team. We should be beating T&T. We shouldn't be getting swept by Costa Rica (Granted they are a solid team).

While I do like the up and coming players we have on the horizon, it's also hard to get excited if our coaches hinder their abilities by playing them out of position or not playing them at all.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think youth development and national interest are still the two biggest hindrances. Outside of guys like: Pulisic, Guiseppi Rossi(switched to Italy), Julian Green and a few others, we haven't had young players grow up in a strong youth system. Instead, we have guys like Jay Demeritt or Omar Gonzalez, who don't even play for the national team until their late 20s.

As for national interest, soccer is probably about 5th when it comes to legit participation(ie high school). Our top athletes seek out: football, basketball, baseball or even Track before Soccer. Imagine if we had; Kyrie as a winger, Kawhi Leonard as a goalie or Lebron and Gronk at CB. It bodes well for us in the Olympics that our athletes are so well versed but we don't put 10% of the focus on Soccer as the other big countries do.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I think youth development and national interest are still the two biggest hindrances. Outside of guys like: Pulisic, Guiseppi Rossi(switched to Italy), Julian Green and a few others, we haven't had young players grow up in a strong youth system. Instead, we have guys like Jay Demeritt or Omar Gonzalez, who don't even play for the national team until their late 20s.

As for national interest, soccer is probably about 5th when it comes to legit participation(ie high school). Our top athletes seek out: football, basketball, baseball or even Track before Soccer. Imagine if we had; Kyrie as a winger, Kawhi Leonard as a goalie or Lebron and Gronk at CB. It bodes well for us in the Olympics that our athletes are so well versed but we don't put 10% of the focus on Soccer as the other big countries do.
Rossi always stings that he chose Italy over the US...but honestly can you blame him? Italy is a soccer power compared to the US. I have never subscribed to the whole if Gronk was in goal theory. Messi is what 5'4 ? And is the best player in the world, soccer you dont have to be physically intimidating to be a dominant player, Pulisic? The kid is tiny and is by far the best US Player right now. On your point of High School participation, almost 100% of actual top tier soccer players dont play high school soccer , they are either in club teams or development teams so that is a poor barometer.

" Instead, we have guys like Jay Demeritt or Omar Gonzalez, who don't even play for the national team until their late 20s. " Not really sure what you mean by this... Do you know Demeritt's story? The dude is a fighter and helped Watford gain promotion and had almost 200 caps for them, Omar played for the youth national teams and made his debut at 21 for the USMNT which is very young for a CB.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Also it a fallacy when we need our "best athletes" . That shows the immaturity of the understanding of the game of soccer itself. In fact if you know who Hugo Perez is he just came out with a quote that said "There were certain things I want to see in the players. The technical ability. Their IQ of soccer. Their creativity , I never chose only big players or fast players".
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

justducky0 wrote:Also it a fallacy when we need our "best athletes" . That shows the immaturity of the understanding of the game of soccer itself. In fact if you know who Hugo Perez is he just came out with a quote that said "There were certain things I want to see in the players. The technical ability. Their IQ of soccer. Their creativity , I never chose only big players or fast players".
100% agreed with this.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

justducky0 wrote:Also it a fallacy when we need our "best athletes" . That shows the immaturity of the understanding of the game of soccer itself. In fact if you know who Hugo Perez is he just came out with a quote that said "There were certain things I want to see in the players. The technical ability. Their IQ of soccer. Their creativity , I never chose only big players or fast players".
I agree with you, but if you look at my examples I think they're fair. If those guys grew up playing soccer and in a soccer centric culture, they'd be great at those positions. Could LeBron be an awesome attacking mid,no, he wouldn't have the touch. But at goalie or cb he would be good. Kawhi would be amazing as a goalie IMO. Someone like say Kevin Durant would only hope to be Peter crouch so it's not all linear.

Realistically, our smaller wr's and DB's would be the best to envision as our top soccer prospects.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

When I originally coached youth soccer, more than 15 years ago, it frustrated me to no end when my better spring league players were always gone during football season.

My best midfielder was a kid who was a decent running back, until he decided he didn't like getting hit.

I had excellent forwards and midfielders who were, at best, 2nd or 3rd string wrong or db prospects on the football field.

Much of that was attributable to the general perception that soccer is a second tier sport for sissies in the U.S...

These guys weren't necessarily the best athletes, but they would spend hours of their own time, together, year round, practicing the skills that made them a better team.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Looks like Dave Sarachan Named Interim USMNT Coach for Portugal Friendly... longtime Bruce assistant. Looks like he will fill the void till they get their next cycle coach in. Who do you guys think should be the long term plan?
In no order I could see : Ramos, Martino, Blanc, Pellegrini and my home run hire which will never happen but I can dream right? Thomas Tuchel.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

justducky0 wrote:Looks like Dave Sarachan Named Interim USMNT Coach for Portugal Friendly... longtime Bruce assistant. Looks like he will fill the void till they get their next cycle coach in. Who do you guys think should be the long term plan?
In no order I could see : Ramos, Martino, Blanc, Pellegrini and my home run hire which will never happen but I can dream right? Thomas Tuchel.
We won't ever get a real coach.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

For some reason, real coaches develop Alzheimer's before accepting the USMNT offer...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

woundedknees wrote:For some reason, real coaches develop Alzheimer's before accepting the USMNT offer...
with a rare rate of acceleration
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

So Italy just missed the 2018 World Cup after playing to a 0-0 tie with Sweden. Looks like the US has a potential friendly opponent in 2018 now.
desertfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by desertfan »

greenyellow wrote:So Italy just missed the 2018 World Cup after playing to a 0-0 tie with Sweden. Looks like the US has a potential friendly opponent in 2018 now.
USA, Italy, Netherlands and Chile should hold their own World Cup NIT. Seriously though if that was a group at the World Cup people would be calling it the group of death, really bizarre year for international soccer.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

desertfan wrote:
greenyellow wrote:So Italy just missed the 2018 World Cup after playing to a 0-0 tie with Sweden. Looks like the US has a potential friendly opponent in 2018 now.
USA, Italy, Netherlands and Chile should hold their own World Cup NIT. Seriously though if that was a group at the World Cup people would be calling it the group of death, really bizarre year for international soccer.
the only one of those teams that hasn't been on a downswing since the WC is Chile. All of them (maybe with the exception of the US) are aging and haven't been able to replace their older talent.