Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Post by oregontrack »

i posted this scenario on a few different boards and it seems fans (mostly blazer) are split down the middle 50/50 on:

a. no way in hell portland would/should do this, and

b. no way in hell minnesota would/should do this.

nice win in memphis the other night w/ a hobbled lillard.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Wiggins is a shooting 61% from the FT stripe. He wouldn't be an upgrade over Lillard so why piss off the fans? Trade CJ if anything.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't think Wiggins is that great. He's a low level defender (despite his athleticism), non efficient scorer, terrible shooter, and he hasn't shown the improvement that you would expect.

Both Lillard and CJ seem superior in every aspect of the game.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Our trio put up 89 points, 21 rebounds, and 17 assists. That's nice.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Went 0-4 at home, ouch. Should have gone 3-1.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

yeah portland is kind of awful right now. the best they've looked in two weeks was a loss to houston.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Amazing how GSW started a 2nd rounder. Played without an MVP and a DPOY and still dominated Portland for most of the game.

Bell continues to make GMs look silly for not drafting him. Still can’t believe Portland drafted the backup center from Gonzaga with the 10th pick. :roll:
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

that's the stupid thing about gsw, they can be down two all-stars and still have two more all stars playing than most other teams in this league. hell of a thing.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Boom wrote:Amazing how GSW started a 2nd rounder. Played without an MVP and a DPOY and still dominated Portland for most of the game.

Bell continues to make GMs look silly for not drafting him. Still can’t believe Portland drafted the backup center from Gonzaga with the 10th pick. :roll:
I think Collins would look better if he played for GS too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

duckduckgoose wrote:
Boom wrote:Amazing how GSW started a 2nd rounder. Played without an MVP and a DPOY and still dominated Portland for most of the game.

I think Collins would look better if he played for GS too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe... If he can even break into their rotation. That’s besides the point. You don’t draft role players with the 10th overall pick. Blazers already have Nurk. They need wings.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

unfortunately, i think if you grab a rotation player with the 10th overall pick in any nba draft you've done a pretty good job. after the top two or three players the whole thing just seems like a giant crapshoot.

as for collins, i firmly believe the pick was made with the idea to keep the current roster intact. because dame and mccollum's defensive/height issues on the perimeter, i believe the plan was/is to make collins a stretch 4 on offense and pair him with nurk for a twin tower thing on defense. but as you said previously he was a back-up at gonzaga, nowhere near ready for the grind of the nba, so the pick was never a solution for 2017-18.

i think it'll be awhile before we truly know if we have egg on our face for this one.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I still believe that Collins was a good pick.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

There are several players chosen after Collins that are tearing it up in the NBA (Donovan Mitchell and Kyle Kuzma come to mind), but even if the Blazers had simply held on to picks 15 and 20 and drafted Bell, the guy in their own backyard, with one of those picks, they would be better off than they are now. So no, I don't think Collins was a good pick. He wasn't even the best guy named Collins they could have picked. The Blazers had a chance to improve in the draft and totally blew it. It boggles my mind how badly that organization is being run, given how willing that owner is to spend money on a good team.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i'm all about a wing in this upcoming draft. moe harkless has been frustratingly awful. what a crazy step backwards.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

oregontrack wrote:as for collins, i firmly believe the pick was made with the idea to keep the current roster intact. because dame and mccollum's defensive/height issues on the perimeter, i believe the plan was/is to make collins a stretch 4 on offense and pair him with nurk for a twin tower thing on defense. but as you said previously he was a back-up at gonzaga, nowhere near ready for the grind of the nba, so the pick was never a solution for 2017-18.
The league is shifting. Defensively it may be harder to play Nurk & Collins together rather than Dame & CJ. I don't think drafting Monk or Mitchel would suggest that the Blazers would need to make a trade. Multiple teams are playing 3-4 guards now.

Olshey already made the mistake of giving Meyers Leonard 4/40 million contract. Drafting Collins magnifies that mistake. There's so many solid bigs in the league that aren't able to play meaningful minutes. That's how we got Nurk... So easy to find cheap options in FA.