Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Duck07 wrote:I suppose its time to start the next seasons thread with the Draft on Thursday night. I'm really starting to come around to the notion of trading CJ to Memphis for Chandler Parsons and #4 and taking Mo Bamba and letting Nurk walk.
A top 5 pick would be really good value for CJ.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I could have sworn I read that Memphis wants a lottery pick back as well. Maybe they should just take the Blazers pick in 2019, which is bound to be a lottery selection if they do that deal. Heck, they'll probably be in the lottery anyway. Can a team be both in the lottery and the luxury tax, or does that break some kind of rule ?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phalanx wrote:I could have sworn I read that Memphis wants a lottery pick back as well. Maybe they should just take the Blazers pick in 2019, which is bound to be a lottery selection if they do that deal. Heck, they'll probably be in the lottery anyway. Can a team be both in the lottery and the luxury tax, or does that break some kind of rule ?
If blazers trade CJ, why would we deal our 2019 1st? That'll probably be top 10.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:I could have sworn I read that Memphis wants a lottery pick back as well. Maybe they should just take the Blazers pick in 2019, which is bound to be a lottery selection if they do that deal. Heck, they'll probably be in the lottery anyway. Can a team be both in the lottery and the luxury tax, or does that break some kind of rule ?
If blazers trade CJ, why would we deal our 2019 1st? That'll probably be top 10.
#4 is a really valuable pick. You get a really good player in this draft for a really great contract for several years. I am not an NBA GM, but if I were, I would not trade #4 for McCollum, who can create his own shot and score 20 a night, but is only 6'3'', can't defend (Jrue Holiday made mincemeat out of him in front of the world), and eats up max-level cap space. Yes, they would be dumping Parsons, but actually, they would be taking on $1.65 million more in salary ($2.45 million the next year, and a third year at $29.35 million after Parsons contract expires). So that trade doesn't improve their cap situation, and they let go of the pick that it took a whole year of sucking to acquire. I think Memphis could be forgiven for not wanting to do that deal without getting a lottery pick back, especially since they are not in a 'win-now' situation where getting a player like McCollum could put them over the top into contention.

People need to realize there is a tangible cost for overpaying players. It doesn't make them worth more; it makes them worth less.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i really wanted collins last year, but i don't have a good feel for anybody with where we'll be picking this time around. i really liked chandler hutchison a few months ago, and i still do, but he's gone from a high 2nd round pick to a first rounder expected to be taken prior to portland's #24 since the college season ended sooooo... he seems unlikely.

if the team sticks with the #24, i think the most intriguing pick would be dzanan musa, a gifted scorer for europe. at this stage of the draft, he seems to have as much upside as anybody.

but who knows. maybe the powers that be will blow it up and we'll suddenly find ourselves in the lottery.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Most of the mocks I have seen have the Blazers picking from a group of guards. I have no idea how this is going to help the team win, unless McCollum is traded and they are drafting his replacement. It almost makes me hope they end up with Troy Brown, since at least he plays a position of need for the current roster. One can hope that he develops a better 3-point shot, and meanwhile he can help out on defense on a team that sorely needs it. Musa is apparently a scorer who is bad on defense, but at least he could be an improvement at small forward, so I'd be okay with him too.

Last year, there was a chance to really do some damage in the draft and they basically blew it. This year, it feels like the only excitement will be if they can buy into the second round. Otherwise, we get a back-up 2-guard and quietly slip into free agency.

Surprise me, Olshey.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Sounds like they settled on Simons after not finding a good deal for a veteran. Trent Jr. was someone they liked but didn't think would be around in the 2nd round so used a couple 2nd round picks they have from other teams to get him.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i'm not even sure what to think. i get that you aren't likely to find an immediate contributor at 24, but this kid better have a really high ceiling. he's going to live in the g-league for a few years.

if pat and napier find themselves on other teams this upcoming season trent's gonna be a rotation guy right away.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Yeah, the rule of common sense. Some people have more money than brains...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Phalanx wrote:Most of the mocks I have seen have the Blazers picking from a group of guards. I have no idea how this is going to help the team win, unless McCollum is traded and they are drafting his replacement. It almost makes me hope they end up with Troy Brown, since at least he plays a position of need for the current roster. One can hope that he develops a better 3-point shot, and meanwhile he can help out on defense on a team that sorely needs it. Musa is apparently a scorer who is bad on defense, but at least he could be an improvement at small forward, so I'd be okay with him too.

Last year, there was a chance to really do some damage in the draft and they basically blew it. This year, it feels like the only excitement will be if they can buy into the second round. Otherwise, we get a back-up 2-guard and quietly slip into free agency.

Surprise me, Olshey.
Yep they picked 2 guards. Sounds to me like one more year and then they move CJ
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

oregontrack wrote:i'm not even sure what to think. i get that you aren't likely to find an immediate contributor at 24, but this kid better have a really high ceiling. he's going to live in the g-league for a few years.

if pat and napier find themselves on other teams this upcoming season trent's gonna be a rotation guy right away.
In the interview after his workout in pdx he had said it was the best workout he had done (of 3 at the time). I was aware of him before the pick was made and when it was announced I just said to myself that we went for the highest upside guy on our board. I also see this "years upon years" of development needed with him and think it's a bit hyperbolic when he's a year out of hs much like the majority of players just drafted last night.

He's got a lightning quick first step, can play above the rim with long arms and an ability to score. As for GTj, he seems like a pretty easy comparison to when Alan Crabbe was on the team: Will give you a willing and capable shooter outside who won't be a plus defender. Last year people were clamoring for Alan Crabbe at times. It's not like there were any trades possible last night that would have given people real hope for competing with GS and Houston so I've just tried focusing on what positive traits they do have.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

People seem to forget that Simons was rated as between the 7th and 10th best player in the 2017 class before reclassifying to 2018 and attending IMG due to Louisville's problems. That ranking put him in the same area as Collin Sexton, Gary Trent Jr., Jaren Jackson, and Kevin Knox, 3 of whom were picked in the lottery.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

well we'll track his progress in the summer and g-league this year and see where he's at this time next season; CJ will be entering the final year of his suddenly extremely attractive contract, and if this kid looks like he can step into his shoes we could flip CJ for something of considerable value during the draft or maybe the trade deadline.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

oregontrack wrote:well we'll track his progress in the summer and g-league this year and see where he's at this time next season; CJ will be entering the final year of his suddenly extremely attractive contract, and if this kid looks like he can step into his shoes we could flip CJ for something of considerable value during the draft or maybe the trade deadline.
C.J. will still have 2 years left on his contract after next season, and will still be owed just shy of $57 million. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there will probably not be a very long line of GM's willing to pay C.J. that kind of money, unless the Blazers are willing to take a bad contract in return.