Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Post by Phalanx »

Blazers without Aminu looked terrible on defense last night, but eked out the win on Lillard's step-back three as time expired. It seemed like maybe Portland was going to take a step forward this year, but after the initial tease, they appear to be settling into the same pattern as last year: both Lillard and McCollum played 38 minutes vs. the lowly Lakers, who almost won, despite getting zero points from Ball. It feels like we could go to sleep now and wake up next Spring to watch the Blazers lose in the first round again. Not much to get excited about. Connaughton replaces Crabbe, and Swanigan replaces Ed Davis and/ or Noah Vonleh who Olshey won't be able to keep if he wants to resign Nurkic, and Collins joins Myers at the end of the bench. Otherwise, rinse, repeat, snore. Let me know if Olshey ever finds that magical consolidation trade.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Surprised the Blazers held on to win with the way LA was surging to end that game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

I'm just rolling with it and hoping they can get back to playing a fun brand of basketball this year. As stacked as the West is, massive internal improvement would only raise this bunch's ceiling from a 4-5 game first round exit to a 6-7 game first round exit. Such is the nature of the competition.

Good to see Nurk put in a second consecutive solid outing. Still can't believe Ingram didn't play Lillard closer. The whole arena knew he was going to step back and take that three.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Thurston wrote:I'm just rolling with it and hoping they can get back to playing a fun brand of basketball this year. As stacked as the West is, massive internal improvement would only raise this bunch's ceiling from a 4-5 game first round exit to a 6-7 game first round exit. Such is the nature of the competition.

Good to see Nurk put in a second consecutive solid outing. Still can't believe Ingram didn't play Lillard closer. The whole arena knew he was going to step back and take that three.
He's not quick enough to keep up with him so he had to give him space or Dame would've beat him off the dribble. All the Blazers needed was a bucket, it didn't have to be a 3.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Think we are playoffs team?

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Think we are playoffs team?
In that 6-8 range, sure. If this opening stretch is any indication that's about where they look like they can reach barring a 10 game win streak that sees them rise from that range. This home stand can still be a success for them but dropping a few of those close ones hasn't helped with the early struggles of a few other teams expected to finish higher. I watch them win or lose and I always seem to come away feeling like Dennis Green shouting "They are who we thought they are."
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i don't know.

the team can't keep playing like it is. they remind me of the seahawks right now, they make everything SO DAMN DIFFICULT. they started the season beating up on two bad teams and then every game since -- regardless of opponent -- seems like it's been such a grind. simple 8-10 point win against a bad laker team? nope! we only scored 7 points in the second quarter, letting LA erase a big 20 point first quarter deficit. can we steal this win at utah? nope! lillard thought it'd be a good idea to challenge rudy gobert.

the schedule is what worries me. the goal was to get off to a hot/fast start with an easy october/november. instead, the team is barely over .500 and the schedule is back-loaded with all the contenders. no bueno.

golden state, san antonio, and houston are probably the top 3 seeds. minnesota, memphis, and oklahoma city (once they figure it out) are all better than us. i think denver and the clippers are better than us. that's makes us 9, and that's if new orleans doesn't go on a run.
ImageImageImageImageImage
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

oh my bad we just lot to the nets, at home.

no. no, there will be no playoffs for portland this year.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

6-6, with 4 home losses already.

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

argument: we should trade lillard for wiggins straight up.

pro: love me some shabbaz napier, and he's responded really well since becoming a regular fixture. wiggins gives the blazers an excellent (and still maturing) offensive presence on the wing.

con: lillard's awesome, and he's a legit star who wants to be in portland. pairing lillard with jimmy butler and karl anthony-towns may cede the northwest division to the wolves for many years to come.

how stupid is this idea on a scale of 1-10.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

oregontrack wrote:argument: we should trade lillard for wiggins straight up.

pro: love me some shabbaz napier, and he's responded really well since becoming a regular fixture. wiggins gives the blazers an excellent (and still maturing) offensive presence on the wing.

con: lillard's awesome, and he's a legit star who wants to be in portland. pairing lillard with jimmy butler and karl anthony-towns may cede the northwest division to the wolves for many years to come.

Timberwolves wouldnt make that trade plus the salaries are wayyyyyyy off
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

oregontrack wrote:argument: we should trade lillard for wiggins straight up.

Why, doesn't make you competitive against the Warriors, maybe less so. As long as GS keeps their team together keep the entertaining player who wants to be here. Enjoy the exciting wins that come, shake off the losses.

I think last nights 3 guard set is a nice tool to pull out against some teams, sometimes. It looks great when Shabbaz goes 5-5 from 3 and CJ shuts down a good offensive small forward. I don't think that will be the norm for either of them and how well will that set work when they play more typically?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I used to be a big Wiggins fan but I don't see it anymore. There's something there that just doesn't click. Dame is big time. Trade CJ instead.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Oregon Ownage wrote:Timberwolves wouldnt make that trade plus the salaries are wayyyyyyy off
apologies -- i was not clear.

this trade would assume wiggins signs his extension, which will be a max deal. lillard's salary would still be slightly higher due to years played and certain incentives (past all-nba and all star appearances) that got him more money, but the pair's annual salary would be in the ballpark of one another. add filler as needed.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

That would be a phenomenal trade for the Blazers, but i agree that Minnesota would never do it. Lillard is a good player, but people tend to overrate him in Portland.

I have wondered why Napier doesn't get more PT for some time, and thought maybe they wanted to sign him to a contract before letting him explode. I don't know if he could fill Lillard's shoes though...that would be quite a leap.