Chip New UCLA Head Coach

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Re: Chip New UCLA Head Coach

Post by woundedknees »

I believe there is a strong likelihood that Chip would have retained a significant portion of the previous staff, and doubt that would have been the best for this program moving forward.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

srduck
Three Star Recruit

Chip New UCLA Head Coach

Post by srduck »

DmoneyDuck wrote:I can't root for him at UCLA. He left us during the height of the program in 2012 after the Fiesta Bowl (and nearly the year before) for the NFL. It has been reported that he turned us down to return last year. And now he's returning in conference? Hell nah.

At Florida? Sure. But this feels pretty shitty to me. I know it is his life and he has every right in the world to make the decisions he's made. As a die-hard Duck fan, I'll always be thankful for the way he elevated the program but this just isn't sitting right with me.
lets clarify one more time, Chip did not turn Oregon down last year. There was a very vague discussion about his interest but nothing more. Along with that Chip planned to stay with SF through the season last year which ended in early January. Imagine the anger in the UO fan base if Oregon had waited till January only to have Chip say no. Major donors indicated to AD staff that it was time to move forward. Read into that what you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Weird seeing Chip out recruiting in the age of every recruit having a social media account:
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

It sucks but I will always be a Chip fan what he did for us I am beyond greatful and looking forward to this battle for years to come. I just hope Willie stays around for awhile so we can enjoy this because 1-3 years and then him bolting would suck.
Return Of the Quack!
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

greenyellow wrote:Weird seeing Chip out recruiting in the age of every recruit having a social media account:
I saw crystal balls for this kid long before the Chip talk. He has been all UCLA all along. So Chip didn't really do much here.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

srduck wrote:
DmoneyDuck wrote:I can't root for him at UCLA. He left us during the height of the program in 2012 after the Fiesta Bowl (and nearly the year before) for the NFL. It has been reported that he turned us down to return last year. And now he's returning in conference? Hell nah.

At Florida? Sure. But this feels pretty shitty to me. I know it is his life and he has every right in the world to make the decisions he's made. As a die-hard Duck fan, I'll always be thankful for the way he elevated the program but this just isn't sitting right with me.
lets clarify one more time, Chip did not turn Oregon down last year. There was a very vague discussion about his interest but nothing more. Along with that Chip planned to stay with SF through the season last year which ended in early January. Imagine the anger in the UO fan base if Oregon had waited till January only to have Chip say no. Major donors indicated to AD staff that it was time to move forward. Read into that what you will.

Some very tapped in people have a very different account of this which completely disputes what you're saying here. I don't know what the truth is, but I'm siding with the rumors that contracts were drawn up and Chip nearly signed them but couldn't do it. Too many credible people saying this. Major donors decided to move forward after Chip wouldn't sign and they realized they couldn't wait for the NFL season to be done.
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

Totally incorrect but you certainly can side with those rumors.

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

srduck wrote:Totally incorrect but you certainly can side with those rumors.

X2 Kelly didn’t turn down Oregon, he simply didn’t want to quit SF during the season....... he has some morals he keeps to.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Alan wrote:

X2 Kelly didn’t turn down Oregon, he simply didn’t want to quit SF during the season....... he has some morals he keeps to.
Morals? Or maybe the $25 million he was owed when SF fired him a couple weeks later? Potentially he would have gotten nothing with a resignation to accept another job.
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

maxduck wrote:
Alan wrote:

Morals? Or maybe the $25 million he was owed when SF fired him a couple weeks later? Potentially he would have gotten nothing with a resignation to accept another job.
Chip didn’t need the money from SF. Philly owed him a lot of money too. Say what you will about Chip but he has never been motivated by money.

maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

srduck wrote:
maxduck wrote:
Alan wrote:

Chip didn’t need the money from SF. Philly owed him a lot of money too. Say what you will about Chip but he has never been motivated by money.

I agree CK isn't motivated by money, although negotiating a nearly $5 million per year contract could call that into question. As to the Eagles payments I assume those were offset by by the SF money, which would be a normal contract condition. If he voluntarily quit the 49's the Philly payments would not automatically increase so he would have been walking away from the $25 million.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Full press conference of Chip's arrival:

Looks like Chip just got done with his introductory press conference but a spelling error held it up slightly: Sounds like he has a new outlook on the media after being in it for the past year. Wonder how long that new leaf lasts before Snarky Chip returns:
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Coming from people close to the situation. I don't know who you are...maybe you're closer.

However, it seemed pretty clear PK was talking the job with Chip and there was more than just casual conversation going on. I mean, just watching the situation unfold from afar would suggest anything but a casual chat.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

He went to an UA school? I bet Phil is pissed.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GY, snarky Chip didn't even make it to the end of the sentence. He said he has respect for the "good ones" which is like using the "no true Scotsman" bit, lol. After being in Philly for 3 years, anything on the west coast pales in comparison as far as the media/fan attention goes.