Tua

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Tua

Post by lukeyrid13 »

UO had already passed on him; Tua wanted to commit as a soph and we wouldn't take his verbal. Then a coach or someone at UO fed a story to the various recruiting sites to talk bad about Tua which pissed off Tua's dad especially. Willie tried to come in and mend everything but it was far too late and Tua's family didn't even want him to meet with the Ducks.

I have no inside info but that's the story I've patched together from various sites and what not.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duckattack7 wrote:So can someone remind me why we slow played and offered this kid so late ? Wow what a performance.
Because his position coach (Frost) wanted a Qb with an NFL body, and went after Ryan Kelley who committed initially before flipping to ASU. Helf complied.

I have no idea how this is a “blame Helf” issue with absolutely no mention of Scott Frost.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

Sorry guys shoulda checked other guys before I posted in the duck section.
Return Of the Quack!
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

StevensTechU wrote:
Duckattack7 wrote:So can someone remind me why we slow played and offered this kid so late ? Wow what a performance.
Because his position coach (Frost) wanted a Qb with an NFL body, and went after Ryan Kelley who committed initially before flipping to ASU. Helf complied.

I have no idea how this is a “blame Helf” issue with absolutely no mention of Scott Frost.
But I thought Frost was amazing?

http://www.ducksattack.com/forum/viewto ... =5&t=29694
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

FlDuckFan wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:

But I thought Frost was amazing?

http://www.ducksattack.com/forum/viewto ... =5&t=29694
He's def a better HC. Granted, that's not saying much.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Tyson Coleman with another dig at Helf:
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Helf and Frost were complete idiots! It doesn't take a genius to realize that offering Tua was a win-win situation. If Tua develops into a great quarterback, then it a great outcome. If he doesn't develop into a great qb, its still a great outcome for us. We would have continued to improve our relations with kids and high schools, especially st. louis, in Hawaii and further solidify that pipeline, which we have to thank marcus for helping us establish. Risking one scholarship on a pretty good hs prospect in order to further dominate and market in one of the best recruiting states per a capita, Hawaii, for many years to come is a move they should have made. I can only say they were either too short sighted to see the impact of their decision on UO's recruiting ability in hawaii in the future or too arrogant to think that they could slow play tua and he would commit to them when they struck out with all their priority qb prospects.

Almost every Hawaiian kid wanted to come play at UO, but that has been less the case nowadays. I can't imagine it getting any better and only getting worse, after Tua's performance and spotlight in the natty for bama.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Also a kid that wants to be here that badly won’t transfer out at the drop of a hat. Even if he was backup depth for Herbert for two or three seasons it’s a good gamble, especially in hindsight(last night, WOW!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Man, the Tua lovefest is in full swing today with the national media and rightfully so. Nobody can say the kid made the wrong decision in going to Bama but damn, Helfrich may have changed the course of college football for the next 2-3 years by passing on Tua and letting Bama get into play with him. Bama’s Achilles heel has always been QB play and if they now have a guy capable of being a legit threat in the passing game while also having dynamic running ability, they’re gonna be tough to beat. Just jab that “he should be ours knife” a little deeper and twist it.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Also, don’t like directly posting JHop stuff over here but given this conversation, I thought I’d break the rules:

Tua was a frickin layup for Mark Helfrich and he delayed offering b/c he thought his GPA was too low and that would effect his ability to read a defense and make decisions. I promise this is 100% the reason.

Tua was blowing up Matt Lubick's phone all Spring long until he committed.

Oregon came back around after he dominated the Spring circuit, the Opening and was well on his way to Alabama in late Summer.

Biggest miss in program history. Ever.

Taggart had no chance although I appreciate the effort when he showed up.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I want to add one more thing while everyone enjoys this revisionist history-

The Tua/Ryan Kelley issue highlights the problems with recruiting players who have 2 years left in high school. After their sophomore years, you had a 5'11 lefty Tua Tagovailoa and 6'3 Ryan Kelley. I remember watching their film and thinking "Hmm, it's close. I could see an offer being made to either of them." That's when Frost went with the guy with NFL measurements. Both were already incredibly hyped players and Oregon didn't have enough leverage to offer and seek commitments from both. Over the course of their junior seasons, it appeared Tua was still improving significantly while Kelley was stagnant. By their senior years, it was pretty obvious that Tua was the superior player despite diminutive size. By that point, the damage was done, the staff had lost Kelley, and Tua was part of the Tide.

Like I said, Helf definitely deserves some blame. But folks on here are acting like it was some phenomenally blatant fact that Tua would be better. I called Travis Waller/Jonsen and Terry Wilson as busts before they got on campus and got blocked by Scott Frost on twitter for suggesting a 6'6 Sheldon quarterback had NFL potential while his QB1 from Minnesota (Seth Green) was better suited as a Y-receiver/tight end. When schools have to throw their hat in the ring, when QBs haven't started playing 11th grade football yet, it was really close between Tua and Kelley. Frost made the wrong pick, and Helf supported it.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck24 wrote:Also, don’t like directly posting JHop stuff over here but given this conversation, I thought I’d break the rules:

Tua was a frickin layup for Mark Helfrich and he delayed offering b/c he thought his GPA was too low and that would effect his ability to read a defense and make decisions. I promise this is 100% the reason.

Oregon came back around after he dominated the Spring circuit, the Opening and was well on his way to Alabama in late Summer.

I really like Hopkins sometimes, but other times I really don't. JHop was on the Ryan Kelley train hard.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

Duck24 wrote:Also, don’t like directly posting JHop stuff over here but given this conversation, I thought I’d break the rules:

Good lord I am so glad he was fired.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Tua made the right choice, simple as that.

If grades are an issue with a recruit who loves the program, you don't turn them away because if you preferred someone else (Kelley), you just let the academic issue be the hold-up. "We love you Tua, you just need to qualify first." No recruit would ever be like, damn screw Oregon for not fixing my grades.

Also, let's just remember in recruiting that we're a college team and not a pro one. Going after measurables at this level every time and not talent is just plain dumb. Joey may have been a bad Pro-QB but he was a Great college QB. VA didn't have size but the dude could play. The good thing though is that the people who failed on this are no longer here and it's not like Hawaii is closing off Oregon to the players.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »