Which sport do we finally win another National title in?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Which sport do we win our next national title?

Football
19%
Basketball-Men
15%
Basketball-Women
48%
Baseball
No votes
Softball
19%

Total votes: 27
nogerO
Senior

Which sport do we finally win another National title in?

Post by nogerO »

Apologies to our fantastic track and field teams.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Which sport do we finally win another National title in?

Post by Tray Dub »

Other than track? Softball's still probably the best bet, followed by women's basketball. It's hard to predict further than a couple seasons out since rosters change so quickly in college sports. But I believe most in our basketball coaches (both sides) and our softball coach, so those would be my inclinations.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

While the women's basketball team lost some players I think they stand the best chance next season out of the teams. They've got 2 great players already in SI and Ruthy and I think Erin and Satou will give us 4. Maybe a younger softball squad will take a different approach next season too!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Track, I know you left them out on purpose.......
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Alan wrote:Track, I know you left them out on purpose.......
Read the original post. :roll: I specifically said “apologies to our fantastic track and field teams.”
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

nogerO wrote:
Read the original post. :roll: I specifically said “apologies to our fantastic track and field teams.”
I did, that I said why I said "I know you left ithem out on purpose". Ain't rolling the eyes emoji! Lol
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Alan wrote:
nogerO wrote:
I did, that I said why I said "I know you left ithem out on purpose". Ain't rolling the eyes emoji! Lol
OK sorry
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

nogerO wrote:
Alan wrote:
nogerO wrote:
OK sorry
To answer your question a little more seriously, I believe in any sport if you miss your opportunity when you are classified as an "elite" team the team has some set backs, just as the football team has since the two NC games. I don't think the men's BB has a great chance with the one and done rule which Altman seems to be after. We saw this last season by how long it took the team to get close to being a functioning team. Men's baseball...... not even close yet. Softball, they have yet to be able to take the next step in the championship series, close....maybe. I voted women's BB because they seem to be going the right direction and still striving after the brass ring....... to continue my analogy, the softball team makes it to the point where are one of the few to reach for the brass ring, but they keep just falling off the merry go round! Lol. I see a bit of a set back for them and some pressure on their coach possibly.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

good question. i think people have nailed it with our two elite women's sports, softball and basketball.

i know some people are disappointed in softball, but the CWS is all about who's hot at that exact moment and that can be impossible to plan for. florida state is a nationally elite team that constantly no-shows in the CWS, but then this year they lost their opener and survived 4 elimination games to make the final. washington got bushwhacked by oregon and ucla this year in conference, but their aussie pitcher became unhittable in OKC and they're the last pac-12 team standing. that could easily be us next year. or we could lose in the Super Regionals. it's a really random sport.

i also have learned to never count out casey martin's golf team, but losing norman xiong will hurt in the near future.
ImageImageImageImageImage
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

The second year Volley Ball coach seems to be a recruiting dynamo.

I think Softball, Golf, VB, women's BB will have a lot of the talent. Then one of those teams needs to catch fire at the right time, get good fortune with the injury gods, catch a few breaks and get good calls and bounces. Easy peasy!
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Acre and tumbling?

I say softball, wbb, mbb and football in that order
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

duckfan96 wrote:Acre and tumbling?

I say softball, wbb, mbb and football in that order
I go, wbb, softball, mbb and football, because the WBB looks to be really strong and experienced for the next couple of years, while softball does have to replace some great players.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

You should probably include Women's Volleyball in this. We had a great recruiting class this year and we have been pretty darn good for a while. It wasn't long ago (2-3 years) we played in the NC match and lost to Texas I believe.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Golf, WBB, VB
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

volleyball seems like it depends entirely on how good matt ulmer does. he held together a very strong class, but i thought the team underachieved this year, going 3-8 against ranked teams (2 of those wins coming against utah, a team who apparently we have under our thumb) and then limping into the postseason having lost 4/5 overall.

that said, the team will obviously be very talented. based on team recruiting rankings, oregon signed the #4 class in 2015, #2 class in 2016, and the #4 in 2018. and they add a transfer from north carolina this year.

i know jim moore leaving was jarring so maybe that had a season-long effect on the program.
ImageImageImageImageImage