Beaver Baseball

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Beaver Baseball

Post by oregontrack »

in light of heimlich, i'm still amazed that OSU -- under the scrutiny they have been -- willingly admitted teagan quitoriano. seems that they found themselves in a quagmire with no perfect way to get out of the situation w/ heimlich so they road the wave, but to then willingly sign up for it again? puzzling, to me.
ImageImageImageImageImage
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... li=BBnbfcL
Casey taking some heat for overusing his Frosh pitcher.
IMhO, the author is probably right, but I can’t really blame Casey. You get paid to win, not be a nice guy. Similar to Chip’s overuse of LMJ. If this kid gets injured or flames out he’ll always have to look back at this stretch and wonder.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Lol! Kid pitched a great game and he has plenty of time to rest his arm....
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

I'm just a casual observer of baseball but is overuse a valid concern when it is the last game of the season?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

maxduck wrote:I'm just a casual observer of baseball but is overuse a valid concern when it is the last game of the season?
Probably not, which is likely why Casey allowed him to keep going.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:
maxduck wrote:I'm just a casual observer of baseball but is overuse a valid concern when it is the last game of the season?
Probably not, which is likely why Casey allowed him to keep going.
The kinds of pitches you throw matter too and Abel was not throwing much heat early and he also stayed away from his curveball for much of the game. Throwing changeups all game long also helped him stay fresh. If this was say a month ago where he saw this kind of work load then the argument holds water. If this was an osaa pitch count however, then I think he would have only been able to throw less than 25 pitches in that game.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

It was interesting to watch Casey keep trotting him out inning after inning. He really didn't have a lot of options, and I don't think he wanted Heimlich closing the game out. Usually, the last pitch of the last out is what gets shown on the news over and over into perpetuity. Nobody wanted that image to be of the convicted child molester on the team. I think Casey was in a tough spot, and he was fortunate that Abel was able to close out the game. He'll take a few accusations of overuse. Hopefully, Abel recovers well.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
Phalanx wrote:What a pitching gem tonight. Is it wrong to be glad they didn't bring in Heimlich at the end?

The umpires in college are not great on balls and strikes. You could see the Arkansas players looking at the ump shaking their heads. Still, 5 to 0 is pretty hard to argue with. Nice series by the Beavers. I'm glad they won, even though their fans can be annoying.
Honestly I can't believe anyone can support them with him on the team. It's sad to me people are able to brush past things like that just to see their team win, or in this case not even their team win.
That's a pretty extreme response and not very realistic. Obviously, what Heimlich did when he was 15 was disgusting, and it seems fair to me that he didn't get drafted and may never be able to play on a major league team, or at least will have to take a more difficult path to major league success. It doesn't seem fair that everyone else around him be considered guilty by association, or that a whole university should be judged by an act that occurred years ago in a different state. It would be one thing if someone on the team was actively engaging in such evil, but this is something from the fairly distant past.

Anyway, as pointed out above, Heimlich didn't even factor in the CWS victory. So I feel like it's okay for me to be glad for them, your virtue-signalling notwithstanding.
I'm not at all saying they are guilty by association. It's the fact they were okay with him still being on the team, the administration could have stood up, the coaches could have stood up and the players could have stood up and said no. Instead they chose not to. It's afterthought to say he didn't factor in, once again making it about his athletic ability and his contributions.

I can't cheer for people that decide that's okay, and it saddens me that others can. When the administration is gone, and the staff then sure maybe I'll be able to be happy for them in a future situation.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I'd say Heimlich may have played himself out of a shot at the show. Karma is a bitch.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

nogerO wrote:I'd say Heimlich may have played himself out of a shot at the show. Karma is a bitch.
Media Reports say that the Royals are very interested in him. But after this world series appearance will see, I think he'll land somewhere and I'm not supporting him. But you guys do realize he's no longer a registered sex offender? Again I'm not defending him, but there's more to the story than what the media blasted with him before from what I understand. I don't know the facts, the only fact I know is he's no longer registered sex offender
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i have no idea if that's true, but i don't believe the media blasted him with anything.

anyhow, heimlich/the show: if the royals, or anyone else, do have interest in him they won't be dissuaded by a poor performance in omaha. it'll come down to whether or not an organization wants to battle the PR storm that will come with signing him. there's a reason each major league team passed on him in the draft upwards of 80 times each over the last two seasons.
ImageImageImageImageImage
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Alan wrote:
nogerO wrote:I'd say Heimlich may have played himself out of a shot at the show. Karma is a bitch.
Media Reports say that the Royals are very interested in him. But after this world series appearance will see, I think he'll land somewhere and I'm not supporting him. But you guys do realize he's no longer a registered sex offender? Again I'm not defending him, but there's more to the story than what the media blasted with him before from what I understand. I don't know the facts, the only fact I know is he's no longer registered sex offender
Completely wrong, the only reason anyone found out about this was because he wasn't registering as he was supposed to be doing and was charged for it.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

It's actually not wrong. He had to register as a low-level offender when he was 16 for five years. He now no longer has to register.

My expectation is that the constant media scrutiny would damage his confidence, rhythm, etc such that even if a team were to pick him up, he would not perform well. It takes a lot of confidence to be a successful pitcher. I remember John Rocker's career being totally destroyed after his comments and the ensuing backlash. I would expect the same kind of 'open season' on Heimlich from the fans in every city.

I wonder what kind of living one can make in baseball overseas. It might be worth looking into for Heimlich.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

pudgejeff wrote:
Alan wrote:
Completely wrong, the only reason anyone found out about this was because he wasn't registering as he was supposed to be doing and was charged for it.
Just take a simple Google, a little homework...........

https://nypost.com/2018/05/07/baseball- ... est-niece/