Beaver Baseball

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Beaver Baseball

Post by Alan »

Game two tonight, win or go home for the Beavs. 4 pm espn. And yes I haven't forgotten this is a Duck board, just good baseball, playing for a national championship by an in state team. Still a die hard duck fan!
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Not a big beevis fan but damn, what is that now 4 or 5 win or go home games they’ve won?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Not a big beevis fan but damn, what is that now 4 or 5 win or go home games they’ve won?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

I think the fact they are surviving the umps is impressive. Not 1 call went there way the last two games and the strike zone for Arkansas was down to the ankles last night. Crazy.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

nogerO wrote:Not a big beevis fan but damn, what is that now 4 or 5 win or go home games they’ve won?
Yes, something like that. They lost their opening CWS game and had to play back from the loser bracket. They lost the first game of the championship series and were down a run going into the top of the ninth and rallied with a hit and then a HR, again in the ninth, to force a final game three. Good baseball!
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

TualatinDuck wrote:I think the fact they are surviving the umps is impressive. Not 1 call went there way the last two games and the strike zone for Arkansas was down to the ankles last night. Crazy.
All that is true, but the Beavers survived last night because 3 Razorbacks couldn't figure out how to catch a foul ball.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Merganzer wrote:
TualatinDuck wrote:I think the fact they are surviving the umps is impressive. Not 1 call went there way the last two games and the strike zone for Arkansas was down to the ankles last night. Crazy.
All that is true, but the Beavers survived last night because 3 Razorbacks couldn't figure out how to catch a foul ball.
My brother lives in Arkansas and he was kinda pissed. :lol:
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Merganzer wrote:
C
Yes, but the Beavs did that the night before down the third base line. Pop up foul and neithe the third basing or the catcher looked for each other coming after the foul or called off the other player....keystone cop moment.

Third and deciding game is today 3:30, espn2..... although it is not showing up on my channel guide yet....so
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Bottom of fifth, Beavs are playing their game tonight
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Congrats to Beavs 2018 national champs! Third time under Pat Casey....... good baseball!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

What a pitching gem tonight. Is it wrong to be glad they didn't bring in Heimlich at the end?

The umpires in college are not great on balls and strikes. You could see the Arkansas players looking at the ump shaking their heads. Still, 5 to 0 is pretty hard to argue with. Nice series by the Beavers. I'm glad they won, even though their fans can be annoying.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Phalanx wrote:What a pitching gem tonight. Is it wrong to be glad they didn't bring in Heimlich at the end?

The umpires in college are not great on balls and strikes. You could see the Arkansas players looking at the ump shaking their heads. Still, 5 to 0 is pretty hard to argue with. Nice series by the Beavers. I'm glad they won, even though their fans can be annoying.
Wow pitcher is a true freshman, complete game, shut out
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:What a pitching gem tonight. Is it wrong to be glad they didn't bring in Heimlich at the end?

Honestly I can't believe anyone can support them with him on the team. It's sad to me people are able to brush past things like that just to see their team win, or in this case not even their team win.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

pudgejeff wrote:

Honestly I can't believe anyone can support them with him on the team. It's sad to me people are able to brush past things like that just to see their team win, or in this case not even their team win.
What or who are you talking about? True Freshman Kevin Abel was the one referred to as "the pitching gem". He pitched a 2 hit complete, shut out game. A true freshman handled the pressure of a game for the national championship. I'm not going to take the bait on Hemliech, he started three games in the World Series and had no control and got yanked earlier in each game....he was not a factor at all.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pudgejeff wrote:

That's a pretty extreme response and not very realistic. Obviously, what Heimlich did when he was 15 was disgusting, and it seems fair to me that he didn't get drafted and may never be able to play on a major league team, or at least will have to take a more difficult path to major league success. It doesn't seem fair that everyone else around him be considered guilty by association, or that a whole university should be judged by an act that occurred years ago in a different state. It would be one thing if someone on the team was actively engaging in such evil, but this is something from the fairly distant past.

Anyway, as pointed out above, Heimlich didn't even factor in the CWS victory. So I feel like it's okay for me to be glad for them, your virtue-signalling notwithstanding.