Senior

Re: Red Sox

Post by nogerO »

Merganzer wrote:
nogerO wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:
Merganzer wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Doyle

Doyle's major league career is perhaps best known for his role in the famous Game Six of the 1975 World Series versus the Cincinnati Reds, which featured Carlton Fisk's dramatic twelfth-inning home run that has become one of baseball's most iconic highlights. Doyle was involved in a ninth-inning play that baseball fans still discuss. The score was tied 6-6 and the bases were loaded with no outs and Doyle on third base when Fred Lynn lifted a fly ball to short left field. After Reds left fielder George Foster made the catch, Doyle tagged up and attempted to score the winning run. He was thrown out at home plate, which inadvertently helped set the stage for Fisk's subsequent game-winning home run. After the game, Red Sox third-base coach Don Zimmer told the press, "I was yelling 'no, no, no' and with the crowd noise, he (Doyle) thought I was saying 'go, go, go.'"[1] In a World Series that included five future Hall of Fame players, Doyle was the only player on either team to hit safely in all seven games.

And to tie it all together, I remember watching Denny, along with Larry Bowa, Mike Schmdt, Greg Luzinski play for the Eugene Emeralds, 69-70, against Steve Garvey, Davey Lopes, Ron Cey, Bill Russell of Spokane in the PCL.
Spent many a night in the cozy confines of civic stadium. One of the iconic homeruns hit there was
Luzinski's shot over the amazon bridge. Usually a load cheer would come from the stands but
all people could do was stare at what they just saw. those were the days
How 'bout that. We were there at the same time.
That makes three of us. I remember that blast. I also recall time time Mike Guldager challenged Larry Bowa to a race. Guldager was put on second base and Bowa at home. Guldager beat Bowa home but not by much. Those were indeed the days!

Guldager was great, he was the "Voice of the Ducks" on KUGN for a while, 1969-72
One more thing to really make us feel old. Back then, the "Voice of the Emeralds" on the radio was a gentleman named Hal Whehmeir. He did a great job, and, not unique to the Emeralds, Whehmeir didn't go on the road. He and an engineer sat in a radio studio,and with a teletype machine,and an array of sound effects, recreated the games for the radio audience.
I actually saw a piece on Hal and the sound effects. He would read the teletype and depending on what was happening created a sound to match. He had a bat that he layed on a table and hit it with something, possibly a small hammer (memory isn't what it used to be) to make the sound of the bat hitting a ball.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

nogerO wrote:
Merganzer wrote: One more thing to really make us feel old. Back then, the "Voice of the Emeralds" on the radio was a gentleman named Hal Whehmeir. He did a great job, and, not unique to the Emeralds, Whehmeir didn't go on the road. He and an engineer sat in a radio studio,and with a teletype machine,and an array of sound effects, recreated the games for the radio audience.
I actually saw a piece on Hal and the sound effects. He would read the teletype and depending on what was happening created a sound to match. He had a bat that he layed on a table and hit it with something, possibly a small hammer (memory isn't what it used to be) to make the sound of the bat hitting a ball.
Wow -- thanks for the Hal Wehmeier reminder! Yes, I remember those "re-creations" of Ems games by Wehmeier on KUGN that my dad and I would listen to when I was a kid. Seems like I could even begin anticipating when something good was about to happen for the Ems in those situations based on something I felt I could detect in his voice.

That's what I wanted to be when I grew up -- a play-by-play announcer like Hal Wehmeier. I actually found his phone number in the phone book once and called him up! He was very pleasant. THOSE were the days!

Edit: Looks like this is the link to the photocopied R-G article nogerO referenced, at p. 34 in the upper right: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 91,3966136. I DEFINITELY recall the "peanuts, cracker jacks" voice on those broadcasts over an over.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Greenblood wrote:
nogerO wrote:
Merganzer wrote: One more thing to really make us feel old. Back then, the "Voice of the Emeralds" on the radio was a gentleman named Hal Whehmeir. He did a great job, and, not unique to the Emeralds, Whehmeir didn't go on the road. He and an engineer sat in a radio studio,and with a teletype machine,and an array of sound effects, recreated the games for the radio audience.
Wow -- thanks for the Hal Wehmeier reminder! Yes, I remember those "re-creations" of Ems games by Wehmeier on KUGN that my dad and I would listen to when I was a kid. Seems like I could even begin anticipating when something good was about to happen for the Ems in those situations based on something I felt I could detect in his voice.

That's what I wanted to be when I grew up -- a play-by-play announcer like Hal Wehmeier. I actually found his phone number in the phone book once and called him up! He was very pleasant. THOSE were the days!

Edit: Looks like this is the link to the photocopied R-G article nogerO referenced, at p. 34 in the upper right: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 91,3966136. I DEFINITELY recall the "peanuts, cracker jacks" voice on those broadcasts over an over.
Thanks GB!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

So, Noger, looks like the Sox need something to play for. 68-30 is pretty good, but how about 71-27? That's where Seattle was in 2001 after 98 games. They went 45-19 the rest of the way, .703, to finish at 116-46, .716. The Red Sox are currently at.694. They would need to play .750, 48-16 to finish tied at 116-46. 49-15, .765 to get to 117-45. One advantage for Boston is Seattle didn't have anybody close, the Yankees could push them to the end.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Merganzer wrote:So, Noger, looks like the Sox need something to play for. 68-30 is pretty good, but how about 71-27? That's where Seattle was in 2001 after 98 games. They went 45-19 the rest of the way, .703, to finish at 116-46, .716. The Red Sox are currently at.694. They would need to play .750, 48-16 to finish tied at 116-46. 49-15, .765 to get to 117-45. One advantage for Boston is Seattle didn't have anybody close, the Yankees could push them to the end.
Oakland won 102 games that year, but finished 14 GB. Subjective if that would be considered being "pushed". Winning 116 games is only relevant if you win it all. Arizona only won 92 regular season games but won it all in 2001.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

nogerO wrote:
Merganzer wrote:So, Noger, looks like the Sox need something to play for. 68-30 is pretty good, but how about 71-27? That's where Seattle was in 2001 after 98 games. They went 45-19 the rest of the way, .703, to finish at 116-46, .716. The Red Sox are currently at.694. They would need to play .750, 48-16 to finish tied at 116-46. 49-15, .765 to get to 117-45. One advantage for Boston is Seattle didn't have anybody close, the Yankees could push them to the end.
Oakland won 102 games that year, but finished 14 GB. Subjective if that would be considered being "pushed". Winning 116 games is only relevant if you win it all. Arizona only won 92 regular season games but won it all in 2001.
Oh yes, the 116 for the Mariners is now more embarrassing for them than an accomplishment, FWIW, I'm sure all of the 2001 Mariners would take a World Series win over the 116; and I don't think that staying within 14 games constitutes "close".
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Merganzer wrote:
nogerO wrote:
Oh yes, the 116 for the Mariners is now more embarrassing for them than an accomplishment, FWIW, I'm sure all of the 2001 Mariners would take a World Series win over the 116; and I don't think that staying within 14 games constitutes "close".

I don't remember that season and didn't know if the M's pulled away at the end or had a big lead all season...sorry not a seattle fan.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

nogerO wrote: I don't remember that season and didn't know if the M's pulled away at the end or had a big lead all season...sorry not a seattle fan.
All's cool. I was thinking that this Red Sox team, on pace to 112, could amp it up, just a bit, and get to 116. Why not, they're the first team to come back from 0-3.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Nobody remembers how many games the team wins during the season if it doesn't end with a world series trophy.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

nogerO wrote:Nobody remembers how many games the team wins during the season if it doesn't end with a world series trophy.
That's exactly what is hanging on the necks of the Mariners. You're absolutely right that nobody remembers win totals, only the champion of a season, everything else slides away. Except, when that win total is !!6, and the team doesn't even make it to the Series...and now, not only does that stick out on its own, its also the last time the Mariners made the playoffs at all. So, from Ems fan to Ems fan. I hope the Red Sox, with their two MVP candidates, keep on going and end this season with the World Series championship.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

2001's 116 wins is in no way an embarrassment, let alone more of an embarrassment than an accomplishment.

that's not the same as saying mariner fans would rather take a world series win over 116 wins; that's obvious, anyone would.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

oregontrack wrote:2001's 116 wins is in no way an embarrassment, let alone more of an embarrassment than an accomplishment.

that's not the same as saying mariner fans would rather take a world series win over 116 wins; that's obvious, anyone would.

I wrote in an earlier post that if the Mariners would have gone on to win the World Series, they would have to be have been included in the Greatest Teams of All Time discussion. But they didn't even get to the Series. So, they are a marathoner who ran the first 25 miles in 45 minutes, then tripped and sat on the track as the winner ran by.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i suppose. the 2001 mariners didn't have an ace on their staff and they were unable to acquire one at the trade deadline, so the yankees made short work of them in the ALCS. it wasn't altogether surprising (m's struggled mightily with cleveland in the round prior), the yanks had clemens (cy young winner that year) and mussina (top 5 in cy young voting) as well as pettitte. one team was built for the regular season, one was built for the playoffs. most mariner fans were very wary of their Series potential going into the playoffs for pitching matchups alone.

i just took exception to the "embarrassment" part. seattle is one of the most aggressively awful franchises in north american sports, they've got 4 playoff appearances in 42 seasons and 2001 was coming off back-to-back-to-back seasons of losing 3 of the greatest players in franchise history. 2001 was an incredible feat, they were just unable to stick the landing.

fun fact (then i'll leave and this will return to being a bosox thread): people consider 2001 the last good mariner team, but they won 93 games in both 2002 and 2003. the AL West was just in beast mode back that era, and there was only 1 wild card. that four year stretch (2000-03) for seattle might be the best 4-year stretch for any team in major league history that did not result in a pennant.
ImageImageImageImageImage
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Red Sox win, Yankees lose. 5 1/2 game lead. Life is good. Go Sox!
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Need to pick up games since Boston has an easy schedule right now, then hopefully take at least two out of three vs Yankees when they play each other coming up.