Oregon being proactive

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior

Oregon being proactive

Post by maxduck »

Allegations of athletes at North Carolina, Cal, Marquette, and Michigan selling shoes provided by the school. Apparently they can go for several thousand dollars a pair. Interesting bit on the steps Oregon takes to avoid problems.

Oregon now takes the most drastic measures to avoid having athletes sell the exclusive shoes. The team issues them to be worn for travel and certain events, but the equipment staff collects them and stores them immediately afterward in trunks. Players each have space in a trunk and get all their pairs back when their eligibility expires. Redshirt seniors picked up five pairs of player-exclusive Jordans after the football team returned from its bowl game last season.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... oe-resales
Merganzer
Senior

Re: Oregon being proactive

Post by Merganzer »

This staff puts a lot of effort, thinking, in to recruiting and matters like this. Well done.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

When I was in school (grad '11), I knew a guy who regularly bought shoes off players and resold them. I wonder if the policy above is newer than that (probably).
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

StevensTechU wrote:When I was in school (grad '11), I knew a guy who regularly bought shoes off players and resold them. I wonder if the policy above is newer than that (probably).
The article mentions Carter and Artis selling shoes (2014?) so I'm sure this is a newer policy. Probably only applies to limited edition shoes.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Marshawn Lynch was supposedly wearing Oregon cleats in his Holiday Bowl game. I was always picking up extra ankle braces with the O on them because everybody was taking mine. I've got more Oregon wrist bands and half sleeves that I'll ever have a need for, besides pretending to be the Ultimate Warrior of course.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Duck07 wrote:Marshawn Lynch was supposedly wearing Oregon cleats in his Holiday Bowl game. I was always picking up extra ankle braces with the O on them because everybody was taking mine. I've got more Oregon wrist bands and half sleeves that I'll ever have a need for, besides pretending to be the Ultimate Warrior of course.
What do you mean “pretending”?
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I knew a groundskeeper who said he got player gear all the time. Apparently, the spice flows when you are close to the program.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Duck24 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Marshawn Lynch was supposedly wearing Oregon cleats in his Holiday Bowl game. I was always picking up extra ankle braces with the O on them because everybody was taking mine. I've got more Oregon wrist bands and half sleeves that I'll ever have a need for, besides pretending to be the Ultimate Warrior of course.
What do you mean “pretending”?
Only on days that end in Y.