Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19 Thread.

Post by oregontrack »

houston's in a really weird place right now. they got rid of their defensive-oriented wings and replaced them with carmelo, which is a devastating kick to the groin for any team's overall defense. ariza and mbah a moute (and of course paul) picked up SO MUCH of james harden's slack defensively. but you take them out of the picture, and you replace them with CARMELO ANTHONY? harden and anthony on the wing together? that's brutal. and it's CERTAINLY not sustainable for a team with championship aspirations.

i totally get why they're all in on jimmy butler.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Portland 132 New Orleans 119. It certainly doesn't make up for being swept by the the Pelicans in the first round last season, but this one had to feel good. Last game the Rockets were w/o Harden, this time it was the Pelicans sans Anthony Davis, but they count as W's.
It was close, 70-65 Portland at the half, 102-99 after 3. But the Blazers put it away in the 4th, outscoring the Pelicans by ten, 30/20. Lillard led the way with 26, Nurkic, 20 & 9 rebounds. Al-Farouq Aminu had his best game, 17 points & 9 rebounds. Joining in double figures, Turner, 14,Layman, 11, Stauskas, 10, just missing, Collins and Curry, 9. McCollum, 8.
Sir Charles just predicted that the Blazers will end up with a better record than the Pelicans...of course that was the case last season as well. I don't know if the Blazers are going to finish 3rd in the West this season, but early on I think this year's team is better than last season's.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Blazers picking up where they left off last season, beating injured teams during the regular season. It's great for making the playoffs; not so great for winning in the playoffs.

Looks like Simons got his first NBA bucket. The new era has begun.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Ya not a good sign it took us until the 4th quarter to beat a Pelicans lineup that is probably one of the worst in the West (with current injuries).

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

So, after the Ducks had dispatched the Bruins, I checked on the Blazers & Lakers. With around 3:30 in the 3rd to go, Lillard drove the lane for a sweet lay-up to make it 72-71 Lakers. Following that, the Lakers scored 16 straight, until Evan Turner hit a jumper at :03 to make it 88-73.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Lakers 114 Blazers 110. Lillard finishes with 30 points 4 assists, 4 rebounds, McCollum, 30 points, 4 assists, 5 rebounds.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

The Blazers were a horrific 6-35 from three-point range. The same looks they were making in previous games. Just one of those nights.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Blazers 111 Timberwolves 81. A nice bounce back from last night, it certainly helped that Minnesota was without Jimmy Butler & Derrick Rose. the undermanned Pelicans made it a game; Minnesota was only down 3 after the first quarter, but the Blazers turned it on defensively and held the T-Wolves to 18, 19, 17 in the next three to put it away.
Nurkic led the scoring tonight with 19 and 12 rebounds, Meyers Leonard also had a double-double, 15 points & twelve rebounds.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Rondo destroyed our bench last game. Nice to see us push around the Timberpuppies.

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

How do you measure success for the Zers this year?

I would say if they develop the young guys and are top 5 in the west, 2nd round of the playoffs, that's a win. Winning it all isn't an option until Golden State breaks up. Just isn't. Hopefully we can play entertaining ball while amassing talent in the meantime.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU wrote:How do you measure success for the Zers this year?

I would say if they develop the young guys and are top 5 in the west, 2nd round of the playoffs, that's a win. Winning it all isn't an option until Golden State breaks up. Just isn't. Hopefully we can play entertaining ball while amassing talent in the meantime.
That's right, Boston, Toronto, Milwaukee, all in the East, can wonder about being in the Finals. I like how the team has developed. Evan Turner is playing better, same with Layman. Curry and Stauskas are shooters. Collins already has the respect of his teammates, and will just get better. Swanigan had a really good game, perhaps he will become a steady contributor along with Leonard.They probably won't get the 3 seed this season, but be a better team than last years.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Tonight: Milwaukee 8-1 @ Portland 7-3
Antetokounmpo expected to be in the line-up.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

If Portland could make a trade of a similar vein to New Orleans trading their 1st for Mirotic that would be perfect. Ideally, as has been the case for 3-4 years now, we need an upgrade over Harkless and Aminu at the combo forward position.

Jae Crowder
Nemanja Belijca
Montrezl Harrell
Markieff Morris
Tobias Harris(Might need to be 2 picks)
Taurean Prince
Rodney McGruber
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Since the Blazers are about $8 million over the luxury tax line, it seems likely that the only trades we might see would be to dump salary. Specifically, I would be very surprised if Olshey hasn't tried to set up some way to dump Aminu by the deadline, a move that would only leave him $1 million over the tax threshold. So if you don't like Harkless and Aminu, try Harkless and Layman.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I really like Belijca and his upside. I'd love to see Portland take a risk and throw an offer for someone like him.