Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

gogreen55
Senior

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19 Thread.

Post by gogreen55 »

The bench unit played out of their minds. Obviously they won't shoot it this well every game, but hopefully this will get them back on track moving forward and they can be a positive factor more games than not. That would be a big change from the way they had been playing prior to tonight.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Blazers 131-Clippers 127. Lillard had 7 points in the first half, but got 32, 22 in the 3rd quarter, to lead the Blazers.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Game was well in hand early in the 4th, but they squandered an 18 point lead to make it close in the end. However, I’ll definjtely take the road win against a playoff caliber team.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU wrote:Game was well in hand early in the 4th, but they squandered an 18 point lead to make it close in the end. However, I’ll definjtely take the road win against a playoff caliber team.
This game is why I'm torn this season. Game by game it's better that the Blazers win. But I can't see this team getting out of the first round. So, a win every once in a while is fun, but I really hope the lottery is the landing spot this season. I respect the drive in the players to keep going all season. But, as a fan, getting really bored with the early playoff exits.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Merganzer wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Game was well in hand early in the 4th, but they squandered an 18 point lead to make it close in the end. However, I’ll definjtely take the road win against a playoff caliber team.
This game is why I'm torn this season. Game by game it's better that the Blazers win. But I can't see this team getting out of the first round. So, a win every once in a while is fun, but I really hope the lottery is the landing spot this season. I respect the drive in the players to keep going all season. But, as a fan, getting really bored with the early playoff exits.
Said the fan of every team not named the Warriors.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
Said the fan of every team not named the Warriors.
And those not named, Raptors, Celtics, Nuggets, Bucks. If you believe the same sort of malaise exists around those teams than does around the Blazers, I respectfully disagree.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

All those teams have about the same odds of winning a championship - which is what we're saying matters, because who cares about the difference between what round you get bounced in - as the Trail Blazers. Maybe they'll turn it around later in the season, but if the Celtics were in the west, they'd be fighting for a playoff spot.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I see a definite difference between reaching the conference finals and getting bounced in four games in the first round. If you can't have a championship, at least having a team that can compete in the playoffs is way more entertaining than this situation. The current role of the Blazers is basically one of the mediocre teams lining up to be playoff fodder.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phalanx wrote:I see a definite difference between reaching the conference finals and getting bounced in four games in the first round. If you can't have a championship, at least having a team that can compete in the playoffs is way more entertaining than this situation. The current role of the Blazers is basically one of the mediocre teams lining up to be playoff fodder.
Exactly, the comparison of the Blazers winning a championship with those of the Raptors, Bucks, Nuggets, Celtics is, in my opinion, very wide. The aspirations of the fans of the Thunder, Pelicans, the Rockets, with Paul healthy, are also more reasonable than those of the Blazers fans who are now watching the same movie, again.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Paul Allen's death probably couldn't have come at a worse time for the Blazers. I still think a deal will get done at the deadline simply get to under the tax but it won't be a deal to improve the team per se - just get under the tax line. They won't start a tanking process because that would devalue the team ever so slightly in a sale so we're stuck waiting for all those future expiring contracts to become valuable at the same time the league has a bunch of expiring contracts becoming available.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Tell me more about what the Celtics, Raptors, and Nuggets have achieved to date.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07 wrote:Paul Allen's death probably couldn't have come at a worse time for the Blazers. I still think a deal will get done at the deadline simply get to under the tax but it won't be a deal to improve the team per se - just get under the tax line. They won't start a tanking process because that would devalue the team ever so slightly in a sale so we're stuck waiting for all those future expiring contracts to become valuable at the same time the league has a bunch of expiring contracts becoming available.
Luckily, this season, the Blazers won't really have to start a "Tanking process" to miss the playoffs this season.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU wrote:Tell me more about what the Celtics, Raptors, and Nuggets have achieved to date.
None of them were a 3 seed that got swept by a 6 seed in the playoffs last season, or made it to the 2nd round the year before that because the two star players on the other team were injured, and all have better records now than do the Blazers.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Sorry, I missed what part of that was about the Nuggets not making the playoffs but now they're going to compete with Golden State.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU wrote:Sorry, I missed what part of that was about the Nuggets not making the playoffs but now they're going to compete with Golden State.
This is where we've differed for the entire thread We both can see the same final result, Golden State winning the championship. Where, I and Phalanx earlier, differ with you, is how the seasons of the Blazers and those other teams I mentioned earlier will play out.
Now, of course you may disagree with me here, but I see no chance for the Blazers making it to the conference championship this season, whereas, I can see the fans of the Raptors, Nuggets, Celtics, Bucks, seeing their team making it to the Conference championship. It is also reasonable for the fans of the Thunder, currently 3rd in the West, as well those of the Rockets & Pelicans, both currently within a game of the top 8, believing they could make it to the Conference finals as well.