Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

thomas time
Senior

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19 Thread.

Post by thomas time »

Great comeback, never giving up when down 17. I liked C.J. attacking and get easier shots then shooting 3's, Evan had a really good second half to make the contract look a little easier.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Merganzer wrote:Hyper-extended knee for Hood. Durant calf strain, word is he could return at some point in the Conference Finals.
What's the time table to return on hyper-extended knee?
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

alxtw wrote:
Merganzer wrote:Hyper-extended knee for Hood. Durant calf strain, word is he could return at some point in the Conference Finals.
What's the time table to return on hyper-extended knee?
Hood said he's day-to-day and hoping to be ready for game one.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Watching the game now as I was in the car heading back from Ashland & Crater Lake yesterday. Through the first half, not exactly what I was expecting. Damian obviously couldn't get a bucket to save his life, but he was taking good shots. More surprising than anything, the defensive intensity by both Damian and CJ was some of the best I've seen in their careers. Really looks like that's what kept them in position to have a chance at a comeback. (Lillard- 3 STLs, 10 REBs; CJ- really good on-ball D, huge block, 9 REBs)
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU wrote:Watching the game now as I was in the car heading back from Ashland & Crater Lake yesterday. Through the first half, not exactly what I was expecting. Damian obviously couldn't get a bucket to save his life, but he was taking good shots. More surprising than anything, the defensive intensity by both Damian and CJ was some of the best I've seen in their careers. Really looks like that's what kept them in position to have a chance at a comeback. (Lillard- 3 STLs, 10 REBs; CJ- really good on-ball D, huge block, 9 REBs)

It really was the D, for the Blazers, CJ had shot after shot, but the most memorable play was his block, after his shot was blocked. The Blazers finished with a better % from the field, 40.9 to 37.1. Both teams were awful on 3's, Blazers 15%, Nuggets 10%. With all the missed shots there were a lot of rebounds and the Blazers ended up with 4 more 55-51.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Merganzer wrote:
It really was the D, for the Blazers, CJ had shot after shot, but the most memorable play was his block, after his shot was blocked. The Blazers finished with a better % from the field, 40.9 to 37.1. Both teams were awful on 3's, Blazers 15%, Nuggets 10%. With all the missed shots there were a lot of rebounds and the Blazers ended up with 4 more 55-51.
It was actually Lillard's shot that was blocked.

The Blazers have really benefited from a number of games with amazingly bad 3-point shooting from both OKC and Denver. One has to think that trend will stop vs. Golden State. Actually, I wouldn't be shocked if the Blazers are swept in 4. If Lillard and McCollum have any juice left at all after the ordeal they just endured, it would be a surprise. Having to turn around and play game one at Golden State tomorrow is murder.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

I dare to dream this can go six, but I'm thinking five. I know the playoffs are an entirely different beast, but looking at the four regular season games Lillard's numbers were above their averages; CJ's were well below. I assume Klay and Iggy will be shadowing CJ a lot this series, meaning Lillard will probably need to flex and have one of his monster nights if we want to avoid the broom.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phalanx wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
It was actually Lillard's shot that was blocked.
The way the game played out that makes more sense.
Last edited by Merganzer on Tue May 14, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Thurston wrote:I dare to dream this can go six, but I'm thinking five. I know the playoffs are an entirely different beast, but looking at the four regular season games Lillard's numbers were above their averages; CJ's were well below. I assume Klay and Iggy will be shadowing CJ a lot this series, meaning Lillard will probably need to flex and have one of his monster nights if we want to avoid the broom.
Yeah, we saw against Houston where in theory having a back to back Final's MVP out of your line up would be a bad thing... but not so with the Warriors. It really is a matter of how interested they are on how a game/series goes.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Yeah that's the frustrating thing about Golden State. They're going to be down 2 All Stars tonight, and they still outnumber us 3 All Stars to 1. It's insane.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Not looking forward to the reffing in this series...

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Thurston wrote:Yeah that's the frustrating thing about Golden State. They're going to be down 2 All Stars tonight, and they still outnumber us 3 All Stars to 1. It's insane.
Interesting, a radio host in San Francisco says its likely that KD will miss the first 4 games...and that gives Portland a chance; that beating the Rockets without Durant was easier than beating Portland will be. Houston's Iso style was much easier to deal with defensively than is Portland, Kanter is much more of a threat offensively than was Capella. Igudala & Thompson are very good defensively, but Lou Williams from the Clippers did well against them, and he believes so could CJ. Without Durant, all the scoring really comes from Curry and Thompson, and he believes that Portland can keep up with that, and overall, Portland's bench is deeper; he particularly thinks Collins could have an impact on the series.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

The teams were 2-2 vs. each other, and each team split its home games vs. the other, right?
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Well, that's what the Warriors do. It seemed like maybe the Blazers could hang, and make a gam eof it, double digit lead down to single a couple of times. But the Warriors just don't stop, and it ends up a 22 point win.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Definitely some things to shore up. I'm going to give Stotts the benefit of the doubt and assume what we saw was not the game plan to attack their screens? Because this will end in four if that's how loose we believe we can play the best shooting team in the NBA. The announcers were beating this drum all night, and it's absolutely true: I lost track of how many times we had defenders caught in no man's land.

Lillard is going to be hounded like he was last night all series, and McCollum is going to have a defender 4 inches taller than him shadow him every game, too. Lillard was crazy sloppy and he needs to make better decisions, but the other guys are going to have to hit open shots. With the way Moe and Aminu are shooting there's no reason Kerr should pull that second defender from chasing Lillard in the backcourt.