Who’s gonna be next HC at USC? Edit: Helton returning

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Who’s gonna be next HC at USC? Edit: Helton returning

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I just can’t see Helton staying on. Whom do you foresee getting the job? Is it going to be jack del rio?
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Re: Who’s gonna be next HC at USC?

Post by wepto »

Lynn Swan supposedly doesn't want to fire Helton this year because USC doesn't currently have a president. All that says to me, is that USC's AD is that is dysfunctional as ever. Helton is clearly not the guy. But, who is available to replace him?

Bryan Harsin

Justin Wilcox

Mike Norvell (would a southern guy fit in well enough at USC?)

Neal Brown (same problem as Mike Norvell)

Jeff Brohm (probably going to Louisville, not anywhere near a 'LA guy')

Dino Babers (not young, can't see USC hiring a guy with an innovative offense)

Rocky Long (too old)

Lane (LOL! But might be their best choice)

Chris Peterson (will probably be too polite to laugh Lynn Swan off the phone)

Mike Leach (old, best coach, but probably the worst culture fit on the list; still can't see USC hiring a guy with an innovative offense)

Who am I overlooking? That list is ugly. Jack Del Rio might get the call. 93-94 as an NFL head coach, his two best seasons were 12-4. Doesn't strike me as particularly charismatic.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Mario Cristobal. He might end up with the same record that got Willie the FSU job, an even more recently relevant program than USC.

He would do great at recruiting in Southern Cal. While crippling the recruiting of the only school challenging them for recruiting kings!.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Mario Cristobal. He might end up with the same record that got Willie the FSU job, an even more recently relevant program than USC.

He would do great at recruiting in Southern Cal. While crippling the recruiting of the only school challenging them for recruiting kings!.

Well, that's a sobering thought. You're 100% right though and that's terrifying. Even if I'm not entirely sold on Cristobal and like the idea of Wilcox coming home, it makes Oregon look like chicken little.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Even if usc offered Mario which I couldn’t see happening, I don’t see any way or reason he would leave.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

I’d be more worried about Miami if the Richt era continues in a downward trend.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

David Cutcliffe at Duke would be a great choice and let Helton go back to just being the DC.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Duck07 wrote:David Cutcliffe at Duke would be a great choice and let Helton go back to just being the DC.
Helton has never been a DC, nor coached any position group on defense. Prior to becoming the head coach, his entire coaching career had been on the offensive side of the ball.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

gogreen55 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:David Cutcliffe at Duke would be a great choice and let Helton go back to just being the DC.
Helton has never been a DC, nor coached any position group on defense. Prior to becoming the head coach, his entire coaching career had been on the offensive side of the ball.
I was thinking of Pendergast. woops.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Cutcliffe has deserved a better job for about 10 years now. He did well at Ole Miss and has done wonders at Duke(they were the original Kansas) in his tenure there. At this stage of his career and at his age I'm not sure he moves on to anything else but he should have been offered something like the Tennessee job about 4x now plus any other similar opportunity.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck24 wrote:I’d be more worried about Miami if the Richt era continues in a downward trend.
I think Richt will be fine at Miami. It's Taggart at FSU that worries me. I never imagined hoping he would start winning there but if he got fired after next season and Cristobal keeps trending upward, that's a possibility I don't want to even think about.

I think Cristobal is going to be in a "no man's land" for the next year or two. Any success he has could be tied to having Herbert at QB. Just like Mark Hefrich' success was tied to Mariota.
John 3:36
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

The 11 other teams in the Pac-12 sure hope so!
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

I think wepto nailed the reason earlier in this thread when he mentioned USC doesn't have a president. How many A list coaches would take a job without knowing the level of support from the administration? Better to wait a year.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Also because Helton has 5 years and like 18 million left on his contract. It would be a very costly firing.