Remind me again why we need to expand th CFP?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Remind me again why we need to expand th CFP?

Post by Duck07 »

Lopsided games sure are fun to watch.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: Remind me again why we need to expand th CFP?

Post by droop10 »

This is assuming teams not in the playoffs are worse than ND and Oklahoma. Expanding the playoffs would level the playing field across conferences and give everyone in college football a chance at a title. It’s ridiculous that there are teams that can go undefeated and have zero chance to win a title. Conferences with 8 conference games have an advantage over conferences with 9 games. This wouldn’t matter if all power 5 conferences got an automatic bid.

Anyway, I think OSU and Georgia are much better teams than ND and Oklahoma, and would have fared better in these games. That being said, Bama and Clemson being this dominant won’t last forever. 10 years ago an 8 team playoff would provide significantly more parity. Once Saban retires order will be restored, and it won’t be a Bama monopoly any longer.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looking like it'll be another Clemson-Alabama national title matchup. Know what those 2 teams have in common versus any of the other CFP teams? They only play 8 conference games while Oklahoma plays 9 and ND schedules a tough schedule against multiple decent P5 schools.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

greenyellow wrote:Looking like it'll be another Clemson-Alabama national title matchup. Know what those 2 teams have in common versus any of the other CFP teams? They only play 8 conference games while Oklahoma plays 9 and ND schedules a tough schedule against multiple decent P5 schools.
Are you seriously trying to argue playing 8 conference games is why they're in the championship rather than just being by far the best teams in the country? I get why the conference game issue is a problem in general, but it really has very little to do with Clemson and Alabama this year. They've shown how dominant they are, period. It's homerish to suggest otherwise.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

greenyellow wrote:Looking like it'll be another Clemson-Alabama national title matchup. Know what those 2 teams have in common versus any of the other CFP teams? They only play 8 conference games while Oklahoma plays 9 and ND schedules a tough schedule against multiple decent P5 schools.
Alabama also has another advantage in my opinion, which is that they’re so loaded with talent that they’ve basically got an automatic bid to the playoffs unless they lose more than 1 game. The committee will always justify it by saying they pass the eye test. Take for example last year, when Bama didn’t even win their own division. They got by on simply being the most talented team.

I don’t think the 8-9 conference game argument has an effect on these bowl games, but it does give teams less opportunities to slip up during the season, which gives them better odds of reaching the playoffs. Simply giving auto bids to every P5 conference makes the number of conference games moot. Also, I don’t care for the argument that there will still be arguments for the 7-8 spots. Those teams would be 2 loss teams. At that point, you had your chance and blew it by losing multiple games, and not winning your conference.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Tray Dub wrote:
Are you seriously trying to argue playing 8 conference games is why they're in the championship rather than just being by far the best teams in the country? I get why the conference game issue is a problem in general, but it really has very little to do with Clemson and Alabama this year. They've shown how dominant they are, period. It's homerish to suggest otherwise.
They do essentially get a bye week later in the season when they schedule some cupcake FCS school while everyone else is slogging through a conference game or a P5 school in the case of ND.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

It’s needs to expand because these aren’t the four best teams. Notre Dame and OU are good but both would get the brakes beat off then by UGA. OU and Notre Dame just navigated a flawed system better than the others. Don’t get me wrong, Notre Dame won all of their games and deserve to be there but that doesn’t make them a top four team by default. Expand the playoff so teams who have a bad week or suffer a crucial injury aren’t overly punished.

Imagine if the same playoff logic applied to the NFL. The Patriots s*** the bed early in the season against the dumpster fire Lions but have recovered nicely. The Rainy City Bitch Pigeons sucked for the first six weeks but have clearly improved and played their way into the playoffs.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

It should go to 8 teams, but lay the blame on the POS PAC-12 commissioner Larry ‘I sh*t the bed’ Scott. Why he isn’t inline with the Big-10 commissioner is laughable. This jerk-off is overseeing a conference that is irrelevant, not only in football, but men’s basketball as well. If you suck at the two biggest revenue earning sports, you are irrelevant, and you are fostering a worthless conference. He gotta go. Now.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

If anything they should disband the Big-12 and make them join the other 4 conferences or expand. But just giving a conference champ an automatic bid seems somewhat silly to me, cause Washington would get smoked by any other conference champ this year. But they do need to fix the issue of the SEC and ACC playing 8 conference games, it’s just silly the NCAA doesn’t require more, but they’re in Nick Satan’s back pocket so it makes sense.

As for Georgia, they had their chance, they choked it away for the second straight season. Maybe someday they’ll learn and realize that playing not to lose hardly ever works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

I don’t know about you, but I would giggle gleefully watching UW get undressed on a national stage, regardless of what crap bowl Oregon is in. Sans Saban, these things are cyclical. USC beat the doodoo out of everyone during the 9/11 truther days.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Too many people are hung up on how things are shaking out this year. I’m seeing the same thing on Twitter where everyone is stating that perhaps we should only be having a 2 team playoff. Just because that’s how it shook out this year doesn’t mean we should build future playoff models around it,

The 8 team playoff removes a lot of subjectivity from the playoffs. No need to debate which conference is the strongest, because every conference will be represented by its champion. Yes, I realize there will still be at large bids, but at least an argument can be made that a team should have won their conference if they expected to be in the playoff. As it stands now, we’re subjectively trying to determine whether winning the Big 10 is a bigger accomplishment than the Big 12. What are we basing it off? A few early season games and some transitive property. Another measure is SOS. Games are being scheduled 10 years before they’re played, so how can a team ensure they’ll have a top SOS? It’s a crapshoot.

Let the conference champs hash it out on the field, and include a few at larges that may have lost a fluke game or are a dominant group of 5 team. At least we can say every team got a fair shot.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

They need to go to a 8 team playoff, all conferences on a level playing field. Meaning each conference plays the same number of conference games, no cupcake lower division games mid season, every conference has a championship game and each eligible team must be in a power 5 conference........ Norte Dame! The conversation is getting old but the power of money will probably get a 8 team playoff sooner then later and Notre Dame will still be an independent and the UCF's and Boise State's will still be whining.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Alabama and Clemson are a tier above everyone else this year so it wouldnt matter how many teams are in a playoff.

I would prefer six with the top 2 seeds getting a bye and the 1st round games being played on campus.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Duck24 wrote:I don’t know about you, but I would giggle gleefully watching UW get undressed on a national stage, regardless of what crap bowl Oregon is in. Sans Saban, these things are cyclical. USC beat the doodoo out of everyone during the 9/11 truther days.
I was actually thinking about SC not too long ago and their reign was very brief. Which would last longer, the poodles in a bowl game against Bama or Clemson or Building 7 which still holds the record of being the only steel structure to ever collapse due to fire?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Alan wrote:They need to go to a 8 team playoff, all conferences on a level playing field. Meaning each conference plays the same number of conference games, no cupcake lower division games mid season, every conference has a championship game and each eligible team must be in a power 5 conference........ Norte Dame! The conversation is getting old but the power of money will probably get a 8 team playoff sooner then later and Notre Dame will still be an independent and the UCF's and Boise State's will still be whining.
I’m down for this, before the expand the playoffs they need to level the playing field. But the NCAA is run by the SEC, mainly Bama, so that may not happen for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk