Marcus Mariota

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Marcus Mariota

Post by Alan »

Titans drafted a DT out of Mississippi St yesterday in the first round, 19th overall, who is currently injured....... but it tells me the Titans have helped Mariota out enough he is no longer their top priority. I know Marcus has had four OC's in four years and I believe he is on his third HC. He has had receiver problems and O line problems........ but two words keep popping in my head, "injury prone". He has had problems staying healthy dating back to his last year at Oregon. He has hit the weight room harder this year and bulked up by about 15lbs, will it help? I think this is a make it or break year for Marcus and his time as a starter with the Titans or ? On top of all this he will negotiate a new contract at the end of this season. Has he lived up to his heisman hype? Has Winston, Johnny Football,( lol), Henry? Maybe Baker? Just some random thoughts with my coffee this morning since the Draft started yesterday.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Re: Marcus Mariota

Post by FlDuckFan »

Worse thing to ever happen to Marucs was to be drafted by the Titans. Is he injury prone , yes. Has the organization made an effort to give him the tools he needs to excel? NO. Maybe he'll get lucky this offseason and end up at an organization with some consistency.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

FlDuckFan wrote:Worse thing to ever happen to Marucs was to be drafted by the Titans. Is he injury prone , yes. Has the organization made an effort to give him the tools he needs to excel? NO. Maybe he'll get lucky this offseason and end up at an organization with some consistency.
Yep, his drafting by Tennessee was better than Joey's by Detroit, but that's a low bar.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Injuries happen a lot when your offensive line couldn't stop a pass rush by Betty White
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

I think people are a bit biased and too protective of Mariota. Of course I love him and want to see him succeed, but to blame the Titans for not helping him is a bit of a cop out. Now, I will agree that the 1930s offense Mularkey was running hampered him. However, I see a number of posts on here that state they never invested in the OL to protect him, didn't give him weapons etc.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying all of their investments have worked, but to say they haven't tried is a false statement. They made Taylor Lewan the highest paid offensive tackle in football to help protect Marcus. Do I think he's the best LT in the NFL? Absolutely not, but he is a talented tackle, and elite tackles don't generally crop up in free agency.

They drafted Conklin in the first round (he may be average at best, but the argument is that they tried. It just hasn't worked out the way they envisioned).

They have one of the best safety valves in the NFL in Delanie Walker (injured last year) and paid to keep him there.

They drafted Corey Davis in the first round to be their number 1 WR. WRs have often made the jump in year 3, so we'll see if that happens this year. Again, the point is that they invested a high draft pick in a position to try to help Marcus.

They signed Eric Decker to help be a red zone threat 2 years ago. He was coming of an injury, but was a 1,000 yard receiver 2 years prior, and for a 5 year period was consistently one of the best WR in the NFL in the red zone.

They signed Adam Humphries this year to help in the slot. He was coveted by the Patriots in free agency, so again they added a weapon to help Marcus.

I think it's ridiculous to state the Titans are doing nothing to try to help him. All of it may not be panning out, but they have attempted to do so. They got a steal at defensive tackle with the 19th pick, in terms of talent. He might be a scumbag (so I'm not a fan of the pick from that perspective), but looking at it from strictly a football perspective, it's a hell of a pick.

The Titans are not the worst thing to happen to Marcus. There are much worse situations he could have ended up in. He just needs to step up, and hopefully stay healthy this year. Otherwise, I think he'll be signing somewhere as a backup following this season.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I'm not saying they didn't try to protect him. I'm saying there is significant evidence that they failed. Would he have been all-world somewhere else who knows but I bet behind Dallas's or New Englands or several other good or great lines he wouldn't have been missing near as many games.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

He's had to learn a new offense every season. When that happens it's saying something about your organization.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

FlDuckFan wrote:He's had to learn a new offense every season. When that happens it's saying something about your organization.
Not entirely true. Malarkey/Robiskie ran the same offense in 2016 & 2017. The reason he had to learn a new offense last year was that the thought was they weren’t using him as well as they could have. I’d say that’s a show of the organization investing in him once more. Again, not saying they haven’t made mistakes, because Mularkey was a mistake to begin with, I have seen tons of posts the last few weeks full of complaints that they do nothing to try and help Marcus, including this thread. Well, they just drafted the WR rated as the top WR in the draft by many. Hell of a draft for the Titans so far.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/2019/05/ ... enery.html

Clark Judge, NFL writer:

On Marcus Mariota:
“I think he needs a change of scenery. When he came in, I thought, ‘This guy is going to be a star.’ I’ve been disappointed with him after this great start because he’s been hurt... I do think having a turbulent situation with all these offensive coordinators is a problem...and he’s got to stay on the field.. there’s no consistency with his game... I think he needs to get out of there and get a fresh start somewhere."
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

The Titans coaching rotation has been a complete mess since Marcus arrived, Titans are preaching OC continuity and counting their new OC is a two year OC. He was the TE coach last season and promoted to OC when yet another OC (or HC) left. Marcus has received some offensive weapons but without stability he stands little chance. I won't lay 100% of the blame on the Titans, as I mentioned in another post a few months ago when I think of Marcus Mariota the words "injury prone" keep popping into my head. I will venture to say most of his injuries have not came from "savage" hits, just routine tackles. I am very much leaning to the thought he needs a fresh start somewhere else more stable, I don't want to see him as a backup but somewhere with coaching stability. Clownzono was talking he would like to see Marcus as a Raider, that would be an option.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Gruten should be so lucky...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2019/ ... ompetition

Here is the bottom line as I see it: Mariota is going to be the Titans starter in week 1. There is nothing, outside of an injury, that can change that in the next 4 weeks. Now we can debate whether or not Mariota has earned that, but that is what is happening here.

With that being said, Mike Vrabel doesn’t seem like the type of coach that is going to just let him have the job because it was his job to start the season. If Mariota struggles for the first few weeks, he won’t hesitate to put Tannehill in there. If Mariota is injured and Tannehill plays well while he is out, Tannehill might keep the job.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

It's pretty clear to me this season is Mariota's last good chance with the Titans. There's a lot of negativity about him nationally now, much more so than what I've heard in previous seasons. They won't bring him back if he doesn't put together a convincing season, and I'm not sure he'll start elsewhere either, at least not for a decent team. I'll be rooting for him big-time, because he's staring the "bust" label right in the face at this point and that just sucks.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Tray Dub wrote:It's pretty clear to me this season is Mariota's last good chance with the Titans. There's a lot of negativity about him nationally now, much more so than what I've heard in previous seasons. They won't bring him back if he doesn't put together a convincing season, and I'm not sure he'll start elsewhere either, at least not for a decent team. I'll be rooting for him big-time, because he's staring the "bust" label right in the face at this point and that just sucks.

I agree with so much of this, the media is not kind because, well they are the media and want clicks, so nationally he is not doing well. Also I agree it is a make it or break year for Marcus. I don't know the style of Vrabel that well, so I don't know how quick he will pull the trigger and sit Marcus. But it may not be a bad thing, he either gets signed on a big contract by the Titans or traded......... yes I am a bit "barn blind", meaning a bit bias, but he has been through a shyt show with the titans, I won't list the rebuilding of the team around him, offensive line, receivers, the multiple coaching changes including the GM, okay I guess I will. Lol. Marcus certainly carries some of the blame, he may be able to take much of a hit at this level. But I think no matter what happens it is a good move for him. Of course Titans have to commit on him and quit changing major structures every season. I think I prefer him traded to an veteran team and let him prove himself instead of being forced to study a new offense almost every year........... what do you think Mr. Harrington?
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

I agree with all you guys said. Big boy football isn’t fair....Marcus will get the starts and chance to show his stuff. Hopefully they can help him by catching the bill and protecting him. He gets ridiculed for injuries but he got sacked 11 times in a game last year.....letvthat sink in for a second.

Anyway, I read their practice report today where Marcus was described as sharp and Tannehill as awful (he went o-10) in one segment. As of right now the only ‘controversy’ is the media inventing stuff.