Merganzer
Senior

Re: Marcus Mariota

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Dianna Russini to my knowledge had never written about Marcus or the Titans prior to her "report" in the time that Marcus has been there, which combined with what we already know about his situation made me highly skeptical of it all. Delanie Walker's best years have been with Marcus as his QB and he effectively didn't play at all last year giving Marcus 1 target he could trust to throw to in Corey Davis. Marcus has clearly shown that level of trust early on with Adam Humphries and if Arthur Smith at OC continues to be aggressive in his play-calling during the regular season, I think the narrative on Marcus is going to change rather quickly.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07 wrote:Dianna Russini to my knowledge had never written about Marcus or the Titans prior to her "report" in the time that Marcus has been there, which combined with what we already know about his situation made me highly skeptical of it all. Delanie Walker's best years have been with Marcus as his QB and he effectively didn't play at all last year giving Marcus 1 target he could trust to throw to in Corey Davis. Marcus has clearly shown that level of trust early on with Adam Humphries and if Arthur Smith at OC continues to be aggressive in his play-calling during the regular season, I think the narrative on Marcus is going to change rather quickly.
Yep, Marcus, and Winston entering their contract seasons, is low hanging fruit for ESPN to exploit as much as possible.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

At this point I’m hoping Marcus goes to an established franchise with an aging QB nearing retirement. Pats, Steelers, Saints, etc. The Titans have always been an awful franchise, and while everyone is trying to innovate they still operate like it’s 2005.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

GoDucksTroll wrote:At this point I’m hoping Marcus goes to an established franchise with an aging QB nearing retirement. Pats, Steelers, Saints, etc. The Titans have always been an awful franchise, and while everyone is trying to innovate they still operate like it’s 2005.

I was going to say 1999.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

nogerO wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:At this point I’m hoping Marcus goes to an established franchise with an aging QB nearing retirement. Pats, Steelers, Saints, etc. The Titans have always been an awful franchise, and while everyone is trying to innovate they still operate like it’s 2005.

I was going to say 1999.
Tennessee lost in the Super Bowl in 1999.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Tenn ... ans_season
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Didn't all of those teams just draft QBs, though? I could be mistaken, but I think at least 2 of them brought in QBs. I'll have to check.

I don't see Marcus being a backup QB anywhere, at least not more than one year. He'd be unhappy. The Giants just drafted Daniel Jones, the Redskins just drafted DeWayne Haskins, but he may end up being a bust. The Jets (noooooo!!!) would likely sign him. San Francisco, maybe?

You never know, he might end in Tampa Bay once they cut/trade/waive Jaimis Winston. Mariota is the opposite of Winston character wise and former AZ Cardinals HC, Bruce Arians, might snatch him if given the chance. That might be a great fit because Tampa has drafted some good receivers recently.
John 3:36
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Top teams for Marcus to land if he were to leave have to be a 49ers team where Jimmy G failed, and a LA Chargers team where Rivers suddenly retires. Maybe a small possibility of reuniting with Helf at Chicago too.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I like the thought of Marcus going to the Pats or the Saints, although if Brady retires I think Belichick will retire also. But Marcus on an established team would be nice. I also think Helf will know how to use Marcus, so Chicago would not be bad either.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Alan wrote:I like the thought of Marcus going to the Pats or the Saints, although if Brady retires I think Belichick will retire also. But Marcus on an established team would be nice. I also think Helf will know how to use Marcus, so Chicago would not be bad either.
Helf & Marcus would be nice, but Trublitsky is set up nicely there, Breeze will retire sometime in New Orleans.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

SuperDuck wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:
You never know, he might end in Tampa Bay once they cut/trade/waive Jaimis Winston. Mariota is the opposite of Winston character wise and former AZ Cardinals HC, Bruce Arians, might snatch him if given the chance. That might be a great fit because Tampa has drafted some good receivers recently.
This would be fun!
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I think Bruce Arians went on record during the draft process saying how Marcus is not as good as Jameis or something like that.

LA Chargers would be great. The Helf reunion probably won’t happen in Chicago because of Trubitsky. Now Indy is a possibility with Luck gone. I’m fairy confident someone is going to want Marcus as their starter. He’s obviously one of the top-30 QBs in the league, and probably higher than that.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I think Bruce Arians went on record during the draft process saying how Marcus is not as good as Jameis or something like that.

LA Chargers would be great. The Helf reunion probably won’t happen in Chicago because of Trubitsky. Now Indy is a possibility with Luck gone. I’m fairy confident someone is going to want Marcus as their starter. He’s obviously one of the top-30 QBs in the league, and probably higher than that.
I don't want Herbert in Indy if Marcus is in Tennessee but if for some reason the Titans continue to run and run some more and not put Marcus in the Shotgun and let him play a modern offense, I would absolutely love to see him in Indy and laugh my ass off when he has the success we know he's capable of.

Early accounts suggest that Arthur Smith has been far more aggressive with his play-calling and his biggest problem in Nashville is an offense that *gasp* is QB-centric. Wonder how much we'll see him play tonight and whether its just a few series or the whole half but I think Marcus and Arthur are going to be in for a big year together.