OT- Toronto is 2019 NBA Champion

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

OT- Toronto is 2019 NBA Champion

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm going to be in Toronto next weekend, so unfortunately I'm going to miss the parade by about 5 days, but congrats to the Raptors, the GTA, and really all of Canada. As Ducks fans, we've seen the result of Toronto getting a team and the Vince Carter days, as there has been a steady stream of Canadian players coming south as those kids who grew up in that era came of age. Can't help but think this will further boost that effect. First major championship going north of the border since the Blue Jays in 1993, I believe.
Duck07
All-American

Re: OT- Toronto is 2019 NBA Champion

Post by Duck07 »

The whole We the North thing is stupid when they aren't even above the 45th but other than that congrats to them, especially if Kawhi breaks up with them now.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck07 wrote:The whole We the North thing is stupid when they aren't even above the 45th but other than that congrats to them, especially if Kawhi breaks up with them now.
Having flown from Oregon to Toronto in April, going from summer-like conditions at home to having piles of snow taller than myself there on a spring day, I feel like they can keep it. lol
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Over the last few years, I've been admiring the way Toronto's management drafts and manages the cap. They were willing to make a bold move, trading DeRozan for a Kawhi rental, and it paid off. Of course, circumstances also contributed heavily to winning the championship - the crazy injuries that hit Golden State probably changed the outcome, but it still provides an interesting blueprint for teams like the Blazers who are in markets that are not ready-made for free agents.

Not sure what the future looks like for the Raptors and their aging roster- trading a young Valanciunas for an old Gasol might come back to bite them, and obviously there is a good chance Leonard bolts. Still, a great accomplishment, and hopefully those folks down there in the southern North really enjoy their championship.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Toronto is an inspiration for clubs in middling/non-FA destination markets stuck in a holding pattern. To roll the dice on a star and for it to work out so spectacularly is amazing.

It'll be interesting to see if other teams follow suit, and the ramifications of those deals. I could see a team go ALL IN for Anthony Davis this offseason, not play to expectations, and then hamstring themselves for years when he signs elsewhere the following summer. If Kawhi signs elsewhere next month Toronoto still wins -- this championship is forever. But without a title, it's all a big swing and a miss.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck07 wrote:The whole We the North thing is stupid when they aren't even above the 45th but other than that congrats to them, especially if Kawhi breaks up with them now.
What language is that phrase. Just thought I’d ask.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

nogerO wrote:
What language is that phrase. Just thought I’d ask.
Faux-street via a Canadian marketing firm.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Injuries aside, nice to see the GSW ‘dynasty’ go down in flames. They’ll bitch about not winning 3 in a row because of injuries but ignore the fact that the only title without KD was when Cleveland was missing both Kyrie and Love. Couldn’t happen to a better group of front running tech bro fans who need to be reminded of that Run TMC isn’t a 1980’s hip hop group.