USC Trojans Football

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

USC Trojans Football

Post by StevensTechU »

I just want to make a simple observation--

I have never seen an off-season where the Trojans have gotten so little press. Almost have to remind myself that they exist in the conference.
duckfan22
Senior

Re: USC Trojans Football

Post by duckfan22 »

StevensTechU wrote:I just want to make a simple observation--

I have never seen an off-season where the Trojans have gotten so little press. Almost have to remind myself that they exist in the conference.
maybe they dropped out of the pac-12 and an announement is forth coming...

What scares me about the trojans is the transition to the air raid style offense.
They always have 5 star talent at receiver.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

They have a ton of individual talent. Their WR corp on paper is as strong as any that I can remember.

Then you add in multiple 5 star players on defense and if they put it all together they have the talent to win every game on their schedule. I actually think we lose down their this year unfortunately.

I have very strong feelings that Clay Helton is Helfrich 2.0 so I hope he wins say 8 games and keeps his job.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

lukeyrid13 wrote:They have a ton of individual talent. Their WR corp on paper is as strong as any that I can remember.

Then you add in multiple 5 star players on defense and if they put it all together they have the talent to win every game on their schedule. I actually think we lose down their this year unfortunately.

I have very strong feelings that Clay Helton is Helfrich 2.0 so I hope he wins say 8 games and keeps his job.
Helfrich won a playoff game by 40 points. Helton's got a long way to go if he wants to be Helfrich.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

What's worrisome about the Trojans is that they are very much like the Lakers. For the last several seasons the Lakers have been one of the worst teams in the NBA. Yet, because of their location, storied tradition, they remain relevant, and like no other team in the NBA or Pac-12, can go from worst to first, in a season. In the five seasons preceding Carroll they were 31-29.
Last edited by Merganzer on Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Their recruiting too has taken a dip, which I've never seen since I've started following college football. It is weird..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

wepto wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:They have a ton of individual talent. Their WR corp on paper is as strong as any that I can remember.

Helfrich won a playoff game by 40 points. Helton's got a long way to go if he wants to be Helfrich.
Helton's team holds the record 2nd most points in Rose Bowl history behind a Helfrich led team....
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
wepto wrote:

Helton's team holds the record 2nd most points in Rose Bowl history behind a Helfrich led team....
SC won that game 52-49 over Penn State. Versus a 59-20 drubbing of FSU.

Do you really think Helton is going to land a NFL OC job a couple years after he gets fired? Dude is going G5 or out of coaching.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Urban Meyer will likely be there next year, unless some other major job opens up. Brian Kelly from Notre Dame is another possibility. You'd also have to wonder if David Shaw at Stanford might consider it? He says he's happy, and I'm sure he is. He's done a great job at Stanford. Can you imagine what he might do with the talent he could recruit to USC? That's scary!!!

I see Lynn Swan being out next year, as well, so the new AD can bring in his own coach. It'll be interesting who they'd replace him with? Do they stick with what they've done in the recent past and bring in a former Trojan player/assistant, or do they finally go outside the box and hire elsewhere?
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

SuperDuck wrote:Urban Meyer will likely be there next year, unless some other major job opens up. Brian Kelly from Notre Dame is another possibility. You'd also have to wonder if David Shaw at Stanford might consider it? He says he's happy, and I'm sure he is. He's done a great job at Stanford. Can you imagine what he might do with the talent he could recruit to USC? That's scary!!!

I see Lynn Swan being out next year, as well, so the new AD can bring in his own coach. It'll be interesting who they'd replace him with? Do they stick with what they've done in the recent past and bring in a former Trojan player/assistant, or do they finally go outside the box and hire elsewhere?
David Shaw will never leave Stanford for USC. He's grown up as a Cardinal. If he leaves its probably only for the 49ers in the future but he's probably too much of a 'grass isn't always greener' type.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

wepto wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:
wepto wrote:

Do you really think Helton is going to land a NFL OC job a couple years after he gets fired? Dude is going G5 or out of coaching.
At the end of the day, I think we are actually agreeing. I was pointing out that both had success with top level teams they inherited, but they both slowly lost momentum on the field and in recruiting as neither are dominant alphas.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I think Helton will be fired by week 5.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
wepto wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:
wepto wrote:

At the end of the day, I think we are actually agreeing. I was pointing out that both had success with top level teams they inherited, but they both slowly lost momentum on the field and in recruiting as neither are dominant alphas.

I one hundred percent agree that neither did (or are doing) well as a head coach.

But the more Chip Kelly struggles on his own, the better Mark Helfrich looks as a offensive coordinator. To add to that the Chicago Bears were one of the three worst offenses in the NFL in 2017. He gets hired for the 2018 season and the Bears finish 12th. (Going by offensive points per drive.) Helfrich is still building himself an impressive resume.

Helton doesn't have that. He is a pure USC insider that basically no other program would touch with a ten foot pole. It looks a lot worse to lose with talent that USC has access to. I think the dude disappears after he gets canned.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Fair enough I agree with all of that. I do agree that Helf is a great football mind and a good coordinator.